Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we don't have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

LIST SIZE - Currently we have 32 listed on the senior list. We have to add at least 4 players to that list to reach the 36 minimum or could add up to 6 to reach the maximum of 38.
The Rookie list has 3 players listed so we would need 1 more to reach the minimum (4) or could add 3 to reach the maximum (6)
From the minimum of adding 4 senior + 1 rookie an extra two players can be added to either list to reach the maximum.

Jye Menzie is currently on the Rookie list, but could be upgraded to the senior list. This would allow an extra rookie selection and one less senior list selection.
Jayden Davey could be delisted (+1 senior) or moved to rookie (+ 1 senior selection and -1 Rookie selection).

So... (for combined senior and rookie lists) we must add 5 players to reach the minimum but could add 6 or 7 (maximum)

In addition to all of the above; an additional 2 Cat B rookies can be placed onto the list.

If the club is serious about replenishing talent and trying guys the list will be filled to the maximum.

Sounds like 3-4 National draft. + 1 pre season draft and then 2 train on spots

I think a draft swap deal with Richmond is most likely.
Essendon or Melbourne 2025 first round pick and pick 28 for pick 11 in an ideal world or pick 14 more likely.
Our remaining picks will cover Kako I believe. We would use pick 31, 40 and 46 to match.
Richmond get another pick which will be top 10 most likely in 2025 and spread their youth.
They also get pick 28 which is more than handy in this draft.
We bring in two first round quality talents and get a couple of decent prospects at 53 and 54 which will both come in a bit.

So what are we bringing in apart from Kako? Key forward, defenders that can kick, some outside speed?
Outside speed for me. Would have liked Travaglia. Or Lindsay who looks a runner with great skills.
I have no idea and have not been following but I did see a bit of Shanahan in the VFL and liked what I saw. Looks like he would be around that Richmond pick.
He looks good, but we just invested heavily in Caddy, and still need to sort out Jones and Cox. I don’t know I would rather try to catch up to others by prioritising outside speed/pressure.

So what are we bringing in apart from Kako? Key forward, defenders that can kick, some outside speed?
I want a small fwd (Kako), a tall fwd (Sims or Faull could be available later), a powerful hybrid mid/fwd like Archer Day-Wicks, Bailey McKenzie, Sam Davidson or Sam Toner and a wing/half back with good skills

I have no idea and have not been following but I did see a bit of Shanahan in the VFL and liked what I saw. Looks like he would be around that Richmond pick.
I personally think between jones, cox and wright we have youth and depth here.
I really don’t want to watch joe Menzies in our forward 6 ever again!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I personally think between jones, cox and wright we have youth and depth here.
I really don’t want to watch joe Menzies in our forward 6 ever again!
none will be apart of our next premiership, if they are, improvement will come from no where imho

Cox won't be a KPP, Jones showed some promising signs as a running wingmen, Wright played 2s for periods of the season

I dont know why a KPF isn't on our bingo card to be honest

none will be apart of our next premiership, if they are, improvement will come from no where imho

Cox won't be a KPP, Jones showed some promising signs as a running wingmen, Wright played 2s for periods of the season

It was on our bingo card. We traded up last year to get one first round and then took a KPF / Ruck in the rookie draft.
You are the guy who keeps saying we do not need an over supply in one area :cool:
We may look at another this year. Depends on how they rate them.
They have to try and get something out of Jones and 2MP next year anyway.
Not against another but we also need some speed from half back.

It was on our bingo card. We traded up last year to get one first round and then took a KPF / Ruck in the rookie draft.
You are the guy who keeps saying we do not need an over supply in one area :cool:
We may look at another this year. Depends on how they rate them.
They have to try and get something out of Jones and 2MP next year anyway.
Not against another but we also need some speed from half back.
I dont see Vigo as a fwd before a ruck, that's my issue, he did show some promising signs at times in 2024

I dont see Vigo as a fwd before a ruck, that's my issue, he did show some promising signs at times in 2024
You have not been paying much attention to the VFL then. His forward craft is pretty handy and what he did in the forward line was well advanced compared to his ruck work. Obviously as a rookie he has a way to go but he has already shown he is a good mark and he knows where to lead.

I can think of 3 reasons.

1. You don’t really need that good of a KPF to win a flag just a big body.

2. We’re trialling Draper in that role and have Viggo developing in the VFL

3. We can always trade for a replacement level or slightly above average KPF when we feel a window is realistically open.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we don't have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back