Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we don't have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Unpopular opinion but the very real possibility of losing at least two is very real. If Vigo is more a fwd than he is a ruck then that adds more questions to the ruck order.

Why wouldn't we feasibly add to the depth, it's not like they will come in and play from round 1, 2025 anyway. Would be 2 years away and by that stage Goldstein is gone, we should be rubber stamped with/without Bryan and who knows if Drapers head is turned if you put enough 0000's behind a number.

Can argue all you like about how many rucks a club has, each one is unique, even ours. How many have 3 capable, AFL ready number 1 rucks on the list?
Losing two at the end of the year next year is easy to replace. None of us think it's no chance, in fact most of us think it's close to a monty. However you're either drafting:

1. A mature ager who will be fourth in line and likely get very few minutes in the VFL
2. A kid who will get very few minutes in the VFL

So it's really no benefit to us or to them. And at the end of next year we can draft Crossley or Flockhart or Cooper Keogh or any of them.

As far as the last question, it's us, Freo and Geelong. We don't need the ruck. In fact there's an argument that we're too ruck heavy.

There is no point drafting an 18 yr old kid thats a ruck

Goldstein will not play many games at all next year if we got a ruck in, i hardly think thats the plan either way

Vigo is still quite skinny isnt he?

It isnt about 2025, its about 2026 when we dont have a contracted ruck. Tell me which other club is like that... maybe Adelaide (Which is even a bigger concern) and thats it

2025 has already been said to be a year of step back

Why put yourself in a position where you can be held to ransom

Worst case scenario you bring in a dirt cheap ruck, everyone stays and hes the R3 in 2026 and pretty much the same in 2025 with Goldstein coaching

Im also not wedded to a ruck. I said in the opening statement id prefer Reef Mcinness over him if available

Last edited:

1. Most of the guys i mentioned have been picked up in the trade period

2. The reality is were going to be picking up atleast 1 delisting, its hard to not see that being the case, although im all gor throwing several late darts in an apparent deep draft to the experts

3. A backup ruck is someone that can hold down the fort for 8-12 weeks straight if need be. Cox cant do that

4. A 3rd ruck would be needed in 2026

1. I don't hate myself enough to go through your posting history to form a case against it.
2. We agree
3. So Wright is backup, not Cox. Can live with that.
4. The actual thing we were talking about. List spots are so tight, is why it won't happen. We don't get another year to see if Davey would have worked, Ditto Baldwin, Ditto Hunter, Ditto Wanganeen. We can't even fit Stringer in the list. For these reasons, I tell you we will not waste a list spot in 2025 for a 4th ruck in Preuss, so that he can be a backup in the VFL in 2026.

It's been a week, and I'm still replying to this argument. Maybe I do hate myself...

1. I don't hate myself enough to go through your posting history to form a case against it.
2. We agree
3. So Wright is backup, not Cox. Can live with that.
4. The actual thing we were talking about. List spots are so tight, is why it won't happen. We don't get another year to see if Davey would have worked, Ditto Baldwin, Ditto Hunter, Ditto Wanganeen. We can't even fit Stringer in the list. For these reasons, I tell you we will not waste a list spot in 2025 for a 4th ruck in Preuss, so that he can be a backup in the VFL in 2026.

It's been a week, and I'm still replying to this argument. Maybe I do hate myself...

Joe Richards
Harry Sharp
Finn Maginness
Kreuger
Reef Mcinness
Kostanty
Prior
Peatling
Cumming
Perryman
Preuss

Have been the guys ive mentioned

Your probably right with tight list spots, although theyre not that tight for us. We have 7 spots available. We will likely get ROB or Soldo in 12 months time if Draper leaves, lets just hope Bryan has signed by then

There is no point drafting an 18 yr old kid thats a ruck

Goldstein will not play many games at all next year if we got a ruck in, i hardly think thats the plan either way

Vigo is still quite skinny isnt he?

It isnt about 2025, its about 2026 when we dont have a contracted ruck. Tell me which other club is like that... maybe Adelaide (Which is even a bigger concern) and thats it

2025 has already been said to be a year of step back

Why put yourself in a position where you can be held to ransom

Worst case scenario you bring in a dirt cheap ruck, everyone stays and hes the R3 in 2026 and pretty much the same in 2025 with Goldstein coaching

Im also not wedded to a ruck. I said in the opening statement id prefer Reef Mcinness over him if available
There's no point in doing it, period.

You want to waste a list spot on a mature ruck that we don't need for next year. If both Draper and Bryan leave (which is extremely unlikely) then we will be able to bring in someone like Soldo or Reidy or whoever via trade. If only one leaves we can still draft a mature aged ruck next year. There are plenty in the VFL if needed.

It's beyond stupid. If there's one position that we.should have crossed off the list for this draft it's a ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we don't have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back