Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven’t been overly happy with ADW so far this year, has 2 or 3 nice moments in a game but hasn’t been consistent in his impact and effort
makes sense, does Travglia (spell?) take the limelight away?

I want a powerful impact type player, even if inconsistent, ADW seems like someone you could take a punt on late

makes sense, does Travglia (spell?) take the limelight away?

I want a powerful impact type player, even if inconsistent, ADW seems like someone you could take a punt on late
Not really they play in different areas of the ground.

He is a little bit shorter but if your after power and impact Tom Gross is one to look for in the first round. Sulzberger is another who has some impact but has struggled for consistency and ball use consistency

Clubs simply don’t know.
My guess the biggest change may be clubs trading a first rounder for more points.
I don’t think this is the issue.
I would take away the discount and make clubs match 100% at any draft position.
For example bulldogs would have had to fork out 3000 points for juh not 2400.
I don’t think any changes should be made this year as clubs have tried to strategically plan a year or two ahead.

I watched joe berry again today and I really like him.
Speed, neat left foot, defensive intent and took a nice contested mark.
Would be our best small forward very quickly.
Tyson stengle would obviously be handy.
From what Laura Kane mentioned on SEN there may be some changes this year with the points system although it may be a bit premature as like you mentioned the clubs have been in discussion with the AFL but they do not know exactly what the details are. It may be better to announce before the trade period this year what the points system will look like for 2025. I think the discount is on the way out from what I hear.

I am with you on Berry. He looks a good player in a few areas.

Cant see how they csn bring it in for this year with a lot of father sons/academies at the top and already planned for

But yeh scrap the 20% for all bids

I did see something along the lines of picks above 40 not having any value of points, which i like aswell. Barely 55 being drafted as it is anyway these days

ydc55 seen much of Pat Said?

The player performance that stood out to me the most so far was Travaglia vs SA. His movement and skill set screams high end AFL quality. A Blakey/Whitfield type. If that's a not a one off these champs, he should go early.
Its just whether he can be more than a half back, think hes shown he is a very capable midfielder

I believe he played onball on the weekend and kicked 3 and had 28 disposals in a loss

Travaglia and Bo Allen are my hopes with a pick around 10-12

Last edited:
Its just whether he can be more than a half back

I believe he played onball on the weekend and kicked 3 and had 28 disposals in a loss

That's a good sign. I was really impressed by his competitiveness and contest to contest work. Played a both tall and small. At worst I'd think he'd be a really adaptable defender.

Langford's game was very good too, mini Bont-esque. Classy on that left. Wonder if his pace around the stoppage is an issue, reminded me a little of Szybowski in that regard but certainly has a stronger outside game.

Draper's been interesting too, hard to project what type of player he'll be at the next level. He's prolific but a little too ball hunty around the contest, left some Parish like holes when he didn't win it. Outside game was very good, but not sure what role he'd play other than general mid.

That's a good sign. I was really impressed by his competitiveness and contest to contest work. Played a both tall and small. At worst I'd think he'd be a really adaptable defender.

Langford's game was very good too, mini Bont-esque. Classy on that left. Wonder if his pace around the stoppage is an issue, reminded me a little of Szybowski in that regard but certainly has a stronger outside game.

Draper's been interesting too, hard to project what type of player he'll be at the next level. He's prolific but a little too ball hunty around the contest, left some Parish like holes when he didn't win it. Outside game was very good, but not sure what role he'd play other than general mid.

Draper and Ashcroft similar, just pure mids may be able to be a high fwd at contest

Langford yeh his issue is his explosivness, agility and speed

Worked with a Hawks supporter that was talking up his nephew a couple of years back, an aggressive and athletic forward/ruck - Kayle Gerreyn

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cant see how they csn bring it in for this year with a lot of father sons/academies at the top and already planned for

But yeh scrap the 20% for all bids

I did see something along the lines of picks above 40 not having any value of points, which i like aswell. Barely 55 being drafted as it is anyway these days

ydc55 seen much of Pat Said?
Yes
Not sure he has an elite trait.
Kicking above average but athletically not dynamic.
He does kick goals which makes him stand out a little.
I do not see him being picked up at this stage.

Sam Lalor looks like just the ticket for us.
Was good today.
Won a lot of the football but kicking inconsistent.
Is powerful but spread will be a question mark.
Has missed a lot of football.
I think Jonty faull suits our list needs more. He was just ok today.

I also like the look of Joe Berry.

Having said that Tom Gross is probably a little bit bigger and brings a bit of the same stuff.
Gross has a little bit of Toby Greene about him but I prefer berrys speed, agility and kick.
Both can play.

As much as i hate academies, if they arent getting rid of them, we may as well benefit, we desperately need the afl to allow us to take kako. If we could get him and another first rounder mid/forward with creativity, we'd be back on track.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back