Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Have already commented on the fact that I think he needs to sort his kicking out. Have seen it in a few games where he gets it and kicks it to nowhere in particular.
Surely this has to be a major red flag on this guy then. There is little or no evidence that players with problematic footskills on arrival at EFC tend to sort them out under standard AFL pressure. On the contrary we have quite a few players who are turnover merchants who weren't necessarily identified as poor kicks in their draft year.

Surely this has to be a major red flag on this guy then. There is little or no evidence that players with problematic footskills on arrival at EFC tend to sort them out under standard AFL pressure. On the contrary we have quite a few players who are turnover merchants who weren't necessarily identified as poor kicks in their draft year.
It is something they would have to weigh up. It is not really his short kicks or a kicking action issue. It is sometimes he just kicks it 50 meters out of the area to no where in particular. His kicking efficiency is above 75%.

Underrated subplot. If we did draft Bo Allen and find a way to get some future firsts for next year via trading established players it would be a very interesting Harley Reid package should he ask out as a pre agent

Edit: and if not we have a top10 mid who’s full size plus two FRPs to try and upgrade the roster wherever needs present

Last edited:

Should go Berry and Kako imo. If we're gonna just bomb it long inside 50 all the time, might as well have a bunch of smalls hoping they can work their individual brilliance

It's been my call from the start, will fix most of our ills in one go
I like this.
Whilst I try not to be a resultist, these roles combine 2 things:
1. Genuine biggest need
2. ability to influence early in career … you know, big men take more…
…has anyone seen Cox doing bicep curles whilst out with concussion? I hope he’s on the (ASADA approved) shakes…

Can someone enlighten me on how the new nga bidding works?

So we use our first pick , Kako gets a bid at 15. What happens next? Do we need to find another pick in the same round? Do we have to find the magic points to go with #28?
28 gets eaten up and then our next pick as well and then we get picks in round 6 plus to make up the rest.

Can someone enlighten me on how the new nga bidding works?

So we use our first pick , Kako gets a bid at 15. What happens next? Do we need to find another pick in the same round? Do we have to find the magic points to go with #28?
I think we’d have to find the magic points. It’s also only a 10% points discount for NGAs so if he were bid on at 15 we’d need probably our second rounder and then some to match the bid.

28 gets eaten up and then our next pick as well and then we get picks in round 6 plus to make up the rest.

So when it says we only own pick 7 and pick 28 where does that leave us? Just paying 28 and scraps like everyone used to which blew the system up in the first place? Are we required to find some picks closer to the round in the new rules?

Can someone tell me more about Koby Bewick? Are we looking at possible Daicos talent or something less?

How tall is he and what position does he play? Not sure how much information is available given he won't be drafted until 2027, but someone would probably have an idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Between Smillie, Langford and Lalor:

1. Who is most likely to be available at our pick?
2. Who suits our list the most?
3. What are their skills like?
4. What are their ability to win contested ball like?
5. How damaging are they?

Lalor helps bring that aggression we're missing forward of centre and complements Caldwell and Durham's toughness around the footy. Our forwardline would be chaos with him and Kako which is a good change.

Langford looks good and Smillie looks like a mid you can build a side around, which means he is very unlikely to be available at our pick.

We need to nail this draft and build on a good draft last year. It seems like it'd be worth trading into the first round should the opportunity present itself because Bo Allen seems like a great option for a big defensive mid.

Should go Berry and Kako imo. If we're gonna just bomb it long inside 50 all the time, might as well have a bunch of smalls hoping they can work their individual brilliance
I just read Berry kicked 26.15 from 11 games this year!

If only we had another first rounder. We could have one of Langford/Lalor/Smillie, Kako and Berry.

So when it says we only own pick 7 and pick 28 where does that leave us? Just paying 28 and scraps like everyone used to which blew the system up in the first place? Are we required to find some picks closer to the round in the new rules?
Trading 28 down multiple times to turn it into enough scraps to match Kako by itself

Edit: Langford is my favourite of the mids. Just a great classy user makes quick decisions and has solid size.

Realisticly Lalor might last but need to trade up. Might not get any and have to take someone in the next tier

Edit2: think North might be a trade up/down candidate. They will be looking for a KPF and none projected top 5

Pick 8 might be too far back but in a 3 team deal think there’s a possibility we could get up to pick 2 and get one of Langford/Smilie. For 8 Wright and ????

Would think about it very hard

Last edited:
Smillie or Xavier Lindsay
Kako
Shanahan

Would be my dream draft. Nguyen as a Cat B.
I don’t think it’s crazy to think Smillie could fall to us. I could see teams ahead of us take Trainor and Armstrong. Crows go local with Draper.

It’s not impossible.

Smillie or Xavier Lindsay
Kako
Shanahan

Would be my dream draft. Nguyen as a Cat B.
Would be great. Trouble may be having the pick we need for Shanahan. Even more so if he kicks another bag in a final.

Now that Rosas is available, should we still focus on Berry? I'd be stoked if we ended up with Rosas, Kako and Langford/Lalor/Lindsey.

Would be great. Trouble may be having the pick we need for Shanahan. Even more so if he kicks another bag in a final.
Honestly wouldn't even care if we went early on him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back