Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Given we’re potentially getting another NGA SF next year I think it’s better just to wait on that and see how the current crop goes.

Adding any mid with a good kick and solid size is probably a far better bet in that range
El-Achkar is more midfield (small at the moment, 171cm listed as0

Not going to lie, we're bloody lucky to be getting Kako (2024) and El-Achkar (2025) in consecutive years. El-Achkar has so much Shai Bolton about him. Dynamic in tight, explosive out of a stoppage and skills look neat for a magical and creative player. Does worry me that he cheats the team by running forward every chance exposing himself on the counter but geez, what he does offensively is bloody good

eyes away from the screen for 30 seconds, kicks a goal I missed spewing
Kako + El-Achkars … you know how to get us excited.

ydc55 eDPS

what game are you guys tuning into this weekend? Looks a weird weekend but think a few mid table teams are starting to get private kids back

Calder (2nd) take on Oakleigh (13th) who have some returning kids I believe

Eastern (8th) take on Northern Knights (9th)

Sandringham (4th) are another getting an influx of school kids back, take on 10th placed Jets

Gipps Power 65th) take on Bushrangers (7th)

Devils (5h) take on Rebels (12th)

3rd placed Stingrays take on 12th placed Pioneers
I did the three today.
Calder v oakleigh was even until Davey did a very ordinary act and knocked Damon hollow out when he had his head over the ball. Hollow was concussed and Calder were worn down. Davey should get three to four weeks for a very ordinary and dangerous act. Nash king was probably the best mid on the ground while Davey kicked 5 and algae 4.
Northern v Eastern was next and the game matched the weather- ordinary. The shining light for mine was Jesse dattoli who was clean, won plenty of the footy and steered his team home. Josh Smillie had ok stats but not great.
Western v sandy was ho hum. Western tried but just outmatched. Train or was very good back. Reid and Ashcroft did what they liked and Sulzberger and Armstrong were both dangerous forward of the footy.
Not sure he will be still there but Armstrong would be a nice pairing with caddy.
On a side note I had a chat with Isaac Akko and his dad. Very happy to be at the bombers and will be fit for preseason. Nice young man.

I did the three today.
Calder v oakleigh was even until Davey did a very ordinary act and knocked Damon hollow out when he had his head over the ball. Hollow was concussed and Calder were worn down. Davey should get three to four weeks for a very ordinary and dangerous act. Nash king was probably the best mid on the ground while Davey kicked 5 and algae 4.
Northern v Eastern was next and the game matched the weather- ordinary. The shining light for mine was Jesse dattoli who was clean, won plenty of the footy and steered his team home. Josh Smillie had ok stats but not great.
Western v sandy was ho hum. Western tried but just outmatched. Train or was very good back. Reid and Ashcroft did what they liked and Sulzberger and Armstrong were both dangerous forward of the footy.
Not sure he will be still there but Armstrong would be a nice pairing with caddy.
On a side note I had a chat with Isaac Akko and his dad. Very happy to be at the bombers and will be fit for preseason. Nice young man.
I didn't actually see what caused the scuffle but assuming that was what broke out before half time (I think it was, or 1/4 time?)

Just on Hollow, draftable or just a nice, good at lots type of guy. Reminds me a lot of Liam Shiels.

I really want to like Nash King, Pat Said and Noah Scott but something holding me back form going "yep". Thoughts on our boy El-Achkar for next year? exciting but cheats his team a lot. He has so much Shai Bolton or Isaac Rankine about the way he moves, bodes well pairing with Kako

I didn't actually see what caused the scuffle but assuming that was what broke out before half time (I think it was, or 1/4 time?)

Just on Hollow, draftable or just a nice, good at lots type of guy. Reminds me a lot of Liam Shiels.

I really want to like Nash King, Pat Said and Noah Scott but something holding me back form going "yep". Thoughts on our boy El-Achkar for next year? exciting but cheats his team a lot. He has so much Shai Bolton or Isaac Rankine about the way he moves, bodes well pairing with Kako
Hollow not an afl player for mine.
Nask king has been injured for most of the year.
He was better than jagga smith and Tom gross.
You need to look at his form as a 16 and 17 year old.
He is not what the bombers need but I think will be a solid afl player.
Said and Scott not draft able at this stage. Saying that said is one of the better kicks in the Coates league.
I feel you overestimate el- achtar. He has some speed and goal sense but he has one effort in him. To compare him to Bolton and rankine is folly for mine. Early developer, full beard at 17 and poor endurance base. He is fun to watch but not fair to build him up.
Let’s see how he fronts next year.

Hollow not an afl player for mine.
Nask king has been injured for most of the year.
He was better than jagga smith and Tom gross.
You need to look at his form as a 16 and 17 year old.
He is not what the bombers need but I think will be a solid afl player.
Said and Scott not draft able at this stage. Saying that said is one of the better kicks in the Coates league.
I feel you overestimate el- achtar. He has some speed and goal sense but he has one effort in him. To compare him to Bolton and rankine is folly for mine. Early developer, full beard at 17 and poor endurance base. He is fun to watch but not fair to build him up.
Let’s see how he fronts next year.

Agree with most of your points on the Calder kids. Two I am most disappointed in this year are Kayne Routley and Riley Leedham. Both showed a bit as under agers (Routley had a 5 goal game from memory). Both almost disappeared for majority of the season

El-Achkar is comparable to Bolton / Rankine stylistically as a creative forward cum midfielder. Obviously the fitness base will come but he has plenty of tricks. I made comment earlier that I have noticed him cheating a bit and running forward of the ball before it is in Cannons hands.

Being an underager, can reasonably expect he will only get better

Agree with most of your points on the Calder kids. Two I am most disappointed in this year are Kayne Routley and Riley Leedham. Both showed a bit as under agers (Routley had a 5 goal game from memory). Both almost disappeared for majority of the season

El-Achkar is comparable to Bolton / Rankine stylistically as a creative forward cum midfielder. Obviously the fitness base will come but he has plenty of tricks. I made comment earlier that I have noticed him cheating a bit and running forward of the ball before it is in Cannons hands.

Being an underager, can reasonably expect he will only get better
Leedham is not the size or shape of an afl footballer.
Tries hard but that’s it.
Rutley did have a five goal game but overtaken by other smalls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is a top 5 pick for mine

From what you read he is shaping as a top 3-5 pick.
Ah right, maybe he doesn’t get to us. It looks like he has some forward craft and creativity to go with his ability in the midfield.

If we take a mid, I just hope they can play a second position so they’re not stuck in the VFL for 4 years.

I’d be taking both small forwards imo. Small forwards are just so important in the modern game, we’ve got to try and build a forward line like hawthorn or gws
Not against it. We need good small forwards as much as we need attacking speed from half back.

Personally I have not paid much attention to the SANFL and WAFL this year. Maybe there are couple of mature age options.

SANFL:
Kobe Ryan still getting a stack of ball and probably deserves a run, at worst he’s great depth and puts pressure on for midfield places
Adam D’Aloia still big ball winner, tackler and clearance player and is very easy to spot in a crowd because it seems like he’s developed alopecia.

WAFL seems to be dominated by the old guard and listed AFL players. Reckon you’d be cutting really deep and looking at glimpses rather than performance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back