Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

You might be right
I wouldn’t draft him
James Begley anyone?
Josh Begley?

I was really annoyed we didn't take Willem Drew at the time.

Pass on that idea. All the experts say this is a gun draft. We need to add to our youth asap and next year's draft might be a bust.
Your answer makes no sense. You're afraid of a Kako bid before our first pick but if a bid comes you'd rather just match with our pick rather than get an extra first next year?

Pass on that idea. All the experts say this is a gun draft. We need to add to our youth asap and next year's draft might be a bust.
Gun draft is a stretch. Good draft with depth a lot further back. No Harley Reid type stars at the top end but because of the even top end the order is hard to define. Clubs want in because of the good spread of decent quality.
Was the same with the 2016 draft which was rated very good but it did not reach expectations.

He has a lot of nice traits, will take ahwile to impact at AFL level but a very handy key forward who can ruck when needed. His twin brother Matt is a different style of forward but is also talented and versatile.
Would Jack be someone we should look at considering we have no up and coming KPF to support Caddy?

I wouldn't be against Whitlock, Kako,Nguyen type of draft with Rosas/Peating type of trade-ins.

Would Jack be someone we should look at considering we have no up and coming KPF to support Caddy?

I wouldn't be against Whitlock, Kako,Nguyen type of draft with Rosas/Peating type of trade-ins.
He would pretty much be the long term replacement for Wright playing as a forward/ruck I think. Problem is that he isn’t really in the mix for the top 10 imo, would look at him in the 20-30 range potentially trading a pick in after the Kako bid.

For the next 5 years your first 3 options as forwards are likely Caddy, Langford and Kako. So at most this tall forward would be a 4th option.

Would take at minimum 3 years to develop and we have an abundance of young talls that we don’t have certain roles for yet. (Reid/Cox/Viggo/Jones) + Draper and Wright who aren’t overly old and have more to offer in that spot the next few years.

Just seems like a position where you can trade for someone if you really need an upgrade while trying to contend

The more I think, the more I like the idea of South Australian young gun Kobe Ryan as a small defender.

Tough, hard, loves to tackle. Obviously defensively minded but doing the grind work in the midfield for West Adelaide

We're in a position where we really should be taking another KPF with the plethora of options in this draft and add a running half back somewhere in there as well..

Pick 8; Harvey Langford, Sam Lalor, Tobie Travaglia
Isaac Kako bid matched
Pick 30 odd, Tom Sims, Whitlock twin, Jonty Faul,
Later round pick; Archer Day-Wicks, Sam Davidson, Riley Bice,
Rookie pick; Kpbe Ryan, Matt Foley, Cam Nyko,
Cat B rookie; Jayden Nguyen,
What are Nguyen, Foley and Nyko's positions? I know they're in our VFL team but I've hardly seen any.

I'd be happy hitting the draft and trawling the minor leagues rather than spending a lot of capital trading players in.

Watched most of the Rays v Power game,

Couple of names I want to throw up as later chances,

Harrison Doughton, 185cm utility, Rays
Impressed with his marking, tackling and ball use. Not an overly impactful player but just seems to do a lot of things right. And well

Jordan Dohertey, 199cm, ruck, Rays
Overseer big man is a Dean Cox ruck. Works hard around the ground and can hit the scoreboard.

Tom Matthews, 170cm, small fwd, Power
Can take a big mark and kicked 2.3. Looks exciting albeit moments sort of player

Want to claim Ben Hopkins (Rays) as well. Good
Ball used on the outside and provided plenty of dash from behind the stoppage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dohertey has me interested, though the experiment with Nik Cox in the ruck looked promising too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you given up on Vigo Visentini already?

I like Vigo, but these guys dropped to the Rookie Draft for a reason. Some work out, but most don't.

A few of the names recently taken 8th in the Rookie Draft prior to Vigo:
  • Dylan Williams
  • Luke Parks
  • Lachlan Filipovic
  • Jake Pasini
  • Karl Worner
  • Tom Jok
  • Doulton Langlands

You don't not draft someone because you have Vigo on your Rookie list.

I’m not sold on Harvey Langford being an a grader in the afl. Seems to me to be more of a man vs boys situation. I don’t see elite decision making or poise. I think he has grunt and will definitely make it as a player but more of a Willem drew than patty Cripps to me. If we are moving up to near the top I’d draft Finn o Sullivan.

What are Nguyen, Foley and Nyko's positions? I know they're in our VFL team but I've hardly seen any.

I'd be happy hitting the draft and trawling the minor leagues rather than spending a lot of capital trading players in.

Nguyen is similar to a Caleb Daniel crossed with a Dan Rioli. Takes the game on with run and carry but not a hugely damaging kick. Decision making seems ok. Capable fed/mid/back

Foley is a mid sized small defender. 20, averaged 20 touches a game. Ineligible as a cat b but would look regardless as an area of need.

Nyko, 19 year old scouted from out of area but showed PLENTY as a kicking utility.

Nguyen is similar to a Caleb Daniel crossed with a Dan Rioli. Takes the game on with run and carry but not a hugely damaging kick. Decision making seems ok. Capable fed/mid/back

Foley is a mid sized small defender. 20, averaged 20 touches a game. Ineligible as a cat b but would look regardless as an area of need.

Nyko, 19 year old scouted from out of area but showed PLENTY as a kicking utility.

From our VFL I don’t mind Solomon McKay as a defender, he Nyko and Foley have all shown promising signs

I like what Will Hoare does in defence too

Problem with Will is he is even less reliable with the footy than Laverde. His defense is good. Disposal under pressure not so much.

if we are able to get enough late picks to match Kakos bid does our 28 still get pushed back?

so lets say hypnotically we had 43 48 55 60 and lets say they were to equal the points required would 28 still be sucked up?

if we are able to get enough late picks to match Kakos bid does our 28 still get pushed back?

so lets say hypnotically we had 43 48 55 60 and lets say they were to equal the points required would 28 still be sucked up?

Always goes front to back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back