Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

eDPS what do you think of Smillie vs Lalor around our Pick?

Cal seems to have Smillie and Lalor at 6 and 7 on his rankings. Which one would you think you would pick?

From my quite limited knowledge, Smillie is the classic giant midfielder with goal scoring ability that teams seem to always pine for and we have needed for a while.
However Lalor seems to fit the Humphrey's mold of uber-competitiveness with good explosiveness to boot (as well as current captain of GWV).
Harry Armstrong right around the mark too.

Cal seems to have Smillie and Lalor at 6 and 7 on his rankings. Which one would you think you would pick?

From my quite limited knowledge, Smillie is the classic giant midfielder with goal scoring ability that teams seem to always pine for and we have needed for a while.
However Lalor seems to fit the Humphrey's mold of uber-competitiveness with good explosiveness to boot (as well as current captain of GWV).

If Smillie falls to our pick and we don't take him we'd be insane. Kid looks like Bont.

I have Smillie just ahead it’s a very close call though. I wouldn’t take Armstrong that high personally

If Smillie falls to our pick and we don't take him we'd be insane. Kid looks like Bont.
I’m not so convinced tbh, looks heavier and slower. Bont had a huge engine, does Smillie have that (genuine question)?

I’m liking Murphy Reid and Travaglia, think Reid gets snapped up though before.

Reid looks like a busy type with high IQ, like Gulden - unsure if he can run as well but looks as though he can.

Travaglia looks like he has similar physical attributes to Durham, Martin and Clohesy - long, rangy, athletic and competitive in their own ways. Love how he stood up in the country vs metro game.

Perkins Caddy Kako
Guelfi Armstrong Langford

Is that something we could/should be looking at?

Caddy, Armstrong and Kako seems like a real nice trio to build around?

Given how mids are typically ready to go year 1 vs how long talls take and our needs at wing/mid/HB

Taking a tall when we have an abundance of them and can trade for another in the future if we need a FF just feels like a waste

Given how mids are typically ready to go year 1 vs how long talls take and our needs at wing/mid/HB

Taking a tall when we have an abundance of them and can trade for another in the future if we need a FF just feels like a waste

I hear you, but gun talls don't move often and when they do the best clubs are in the race.

To be honest I'm not wedded to any kid because we need plenty.

Perkins Caddy Kako
Guelfi Armstrong Langford

Is that something we could/should be looking at?

Caddy, Armstrong and Kako seems like a real nice trio to build around?
Yes.

Will be hard to get a look in on premo talls when Tassie come in. Need to strike now.

Travaglia looks like a young Lachie Whitfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which of our abundance of talls are any good? Apart from Caddy, who is in our next premiership team. Build the spine and the rest will come.

Which of our abundance of talls are any good? Apart from Caddy, who is in our next premiership team. Build the spine and the rest will come.

That stratergy has resulted in 0 finals wins the past 20 years.

Elite rucks very rarely win flags

In the backline McKay Reid and Hayes is enough invested in KPDs

Bryan looks an average ruck.

Caddy is CHF who you’re saying is good so we only need to be mediocre at FF and our spine is set with Wright, Draper and Cox all fighting for that honour.

So why waste a potential instant impact midfielder who helps our list balance when we aren’t going to see a key tall get a chance the next 3 years

I have Smillie just ahead it’s a very close call though. I wouldn’t take Armstrong that high personally

Where do you have Hotton?

Just going back and watching his early season footage... my god. I think he's clear number 1 if he keeps that up for even half the season. How innocuous was his ACL?

Reid and Hayes are unproven, Wright and Draper’s best is good enough but they are inconsistent and Cox is as soft as butter and shown nothing. Hobbs and Tsatsis were supposed to be game ready midfielders, so I guess we really just need good footballers. People say we are an unbalanced team and I agree, but realistically we just don’t have enough good to very good footballers on each line.

Where do you have Hotton?

Just going back and watching his early season footage... my god. I think he's clear number 1 if he keeps that up for even half the season. How innocuous was his ACL?
I have him in the early teens, I’m not really sure on the details of his ACL. He would maybe be a risk for a top 10 pick but shouldn’t last much longer

Reid and Hayes are unproven, Wright and Draper’s best is good enough but they are inconsistent and Cox is as soft as butter and shown nothing. Hobbs and Tsatsis were supposed to be game ready midfielders, so I guess we really just need good footballers. People say we are an unbalanced team and I agree, but realistically we just don’t have enough good to very good footballers on each line.

Some of those guys are unproven sure but there’s a big investment there so you need to give them a chance to prove it.

Hobbs is an inside mid who’s rarely been played there (due to balance issues) and Tsatas had an injury as a jr and was always a potential play.

Adding 2x top 15 picks in a good draft should really help that elite talent situation as you can add 1+ talent to 2 lines

As reminder Eric Hipwood and Dan McStay were the 2 main FFs for last years grand finalists.

You have to be able to consistently score goals but you don’t need more then an average/above average FF if you have other reliable paths to goal (Cameron, Danniher, Hill, Elliot ect)

I've only watched highlight videos but he seems to bomb it nearly every time, and even the regulation passes don't look very convincing. Kicking doesn't look Whitfield-like to me at all.
He has had games where he has just bombed it. The SA game from memory was one but if you get to watch a few of his games it is not a massive issue. He can hit targets well enough.

He has everything we need bar real physicality. Kicking is good without being exceptional, hands are lightning and clean, acceleration and spread is exceptional, goal sense, creativity, overhead marking, closing speed and his balance is exceptional that cat like ability to move after aerially competing is Heeney's best trait. Only 182cm but great proportions with long limbs, a build that a lot of the great players have today.

There's probably 4 roles he could play for us immediately.

This seems all too familiar.

Give me elite kicking

To me that only looks like Langford and Draper from the top 12 prospects. Big chance both are gone. If we can't get that we have to get focus on elite movement or physicality. Travaglia and Hotton for movement or Lalor for physicality.

Last edited:
Some of those guys are unproven sure but there’s a big investment there so you need to give them a chance to prove it.

Hobbs is an inside mid who’s rarely been played there (due to balance issues) and Tsatas had an injury as a jr and was always a potential play.

Adding 2x top 15 picks in a good draft should really help that elite talent situation as you can add 1+ talent to 2 lines

As reminder Eric Hipwood and Dan McStay were the 2 main FFs for last years grand finalists.

You have to be able to consistently score goals but you don’t need more then an average/above average FF if you have other reliable paths to goal (Cameron, Danniher, Hill, Elliot ect)
This is why we need Kako and Berry. Our current smalls are not a reliable path to goal. We are really missing a trick in not loading up on the best 2 small forwards in the draft imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back