Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

For me the big mid is less about them being “defensive” and more about our midfield’s ability to absorb physical pressure.

We’re still talking about it because it’s still
An issue. Hasn’t been fixed. Need 3/5 to be midsized or bigger.

Players last year on the list who sort of fit that criteria were Stringer, setters, Durham, Perkins, and Tsatas

But with Jake out, Perkins more a HF and Setters stuck in the VFL that gives us 2/3 on the list so we need to add one at very least for depth to try and get up to 6 total full-size mids

Huh? The midfield is very bad still.

Practically zero goal kickers and bar 29 year old Merrett, they have average kicking skills and poor defensive transition. I'd say minimum we need 2 high level mids that can set up play like Gulden and play forward or kick multiple goals from the midfield like Heeney and Warner.

I disagree

1: defensive midfielders arnt kicking you any goals,

2: we have repeatedly invested in the midfield while neglecting other areas, now we are so stacked with mids they are filling the VFL side. Are they Heeney or Guilden? No, but who is? You dont often hit the jackpot twice (without an academy)

3: if you dont think the core of Caldwell, Durham , Merrett, (Parish Hobbs Tsatas Setterfield Martin) isn't an adequate midfield there's something wrong with the system, not the players

4: we dont rate the defensive midfield role, never have, hence guys like Setterfield can't get a role. The night of our best win Caldwell and Durham showed their defensive chops v the Bulldogs and we were a different beast.

5: we win contested ball every week, we suck on transition

I'd expect Durham to go another step with another full preseason, and Caldwell is building into a beast.

From here it's adding class ball use on the outside after we've sorted the small fwd vacuum. Then it's all changing defensive mindset.

My boy Cooper Hynes finished second after some incredible games for the Stingrays. A familiar name finishing third
View attachment 2114463
I feel like there hasn't been a lot of talk about Nguyen. Has he flown under the radar? If he weren't a Cat B rookie, where would he be ranked in the national draft?

And how likely is it that we draft him?

We have Setterfield as a defensive mid so I'm not really too concerned about drafting one. Ideally Parish would be replaced with a mid that runs both ways but we're stuck with him so my mind goes to how we can improve our offence.

We do need a Tom Green-type mid that is able to wear contact and release by hand to our runners so I would go with Similie if he is available. He'd work well alongside Tsatas. But that probably means Hobbs becomes surplus to our needs.

Our number one priority however should be to increase our avenues to goal so Lalor would be my first choice to add to our midfield rotation. I'd like to see a midfield mix similar to what Sydney have with a bunch of mids capable of dominating the scoreboard.

We have Setterfield as a defensive mid so I'm not really too concerned about drafting one. Ideally Parish would be replaced with a mid that runs both ways but we're stuck with him so my mind goes to how we can improve our offence.

We do need a Tom Green-type mid that is able to wear contact and release by hand to our runners so I would go with Similie if he is available. He'd work well alongside Tsatas. But that probably means Hobbs becomes surplus to our needs.

Our number one priority however should be to increase our avenues to goal so Lalor would be my first choice to add to our midfield rotation. I'd like to see a midfield mix similar to what Sydney have with a bunch of mids capable of dominating the scoreboard.
I think Hobbs is surplus to needs, period.

No point winning the ball if you can not execute inside 50s

If we are taking another Mid we need someone with speed outside work and elite kicking

Setterfield is a perfect defensive mid his stats back it up when he actually plays games as an inside midfielder his stoppage and clearance and tackle numbers are high i have not seen him play a bad game as an inside midfielder

His best 22 i would even say his in our best 10 if his body could hold up

I'd say we need to avoid any mid-sized midfielders without elite disposal, they either need to be big enough that they'll be able to break and wear contact, or be an elite user that can play off a flank early in their career.

So guys like Lalor (187cm and powerful), Lindsay (183cm with an elite kick and tank), Smilie (194cm and a strong clearance player) sound appealing to me if we're going for a midfielder.

Personally I think Smilie reeks of a bust. He's too big, Smell's like man child syndrome
Name the man child first round midfield busts ? There have been a few later in drafts but the guys up the order can usually play.
Obviously the question mark on Smille is his spread from the contest and how that equates in the current AFL game style but in recent times the man child players have either slid down the order or not been drafted at all.

Name the man child first round midfield busts ? There have been a few later in drafts but the guys up the order can usually play.
Obviously the question mark on Smille is his spread from the contest and how that equates in the current AFL game style but in recent times the man child players have either slid down the order or not been drafted at all.
There are a few fairly big young lads at the top end this year. Lalor and Langford are both fairly advanced body wise

There are a few fairly big young lads at the top end this year. Lalor and Langford are both fairly advanced body wise
They are. They can also play a bit. It is not just their size 😎

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A heavily requested game from bomber fans who've waited all year for their NGA prospect Jayden Nguyen to be released from his back pocket to play a more expansive role for Calder. We got to see it finally in his last game of the season, and he responded by showing how adept he is as a midfielder and how capable he is at getting first hands on the footy registering 8 clearances for the game. He played mostly onball through the first half before being shifted back into more of his traditional small defender role in the second. Like many on the day, he struggled with the strong wind and committed several costly turnovers by foot.

A heavily requested game from bomber fans who've waited all year for their NGA prospect Jayden Nguyen to be released from his back pocket to play a more expansive role for Calder. We got to see it finally in his last game of the season, and he responded by showing how adept he is as a midfielder and how capable he is at getting first hands on the footy registering 8 clearances for the game. He played mostly onball through the first half before being shifted back into more of his traditional small defender role in the second. Like many on the day, he struggled with the strong wind and committed several costly turnovers by foot.

He looks very lively. Surely we're getting him, and surely a bid comes?

He looks very lively. Surely we're getting him, and surely a bid comes?
Decent chance he slips to the rookie draft and we can pre-list him as a cat B. Partly because its a strong and deep draft, and partly because he's been a little underwhelming over the course of the season as a whole.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back