Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

If St Kilda are interested, or even Melbourne, what do we do? Do we have to try and trade up?
Sounds like North are willing to put up next years first for the right player. They might want the “best tall defender” Luke Trainor and be willing to give a F1 for our pick 9 🤷🏻‍♀️ then we trade back in if someone like Jobe Shanahan is still available at Richmond’s P15 (Tigers might think the North pick will be top5 next year)

If St Kilda are interested, or even Melbourne, what do we do? Do we have to try and trade up?
Trading out into next year might be easier.

Did the AFL ban the work around where you could trade out ahead of a bid then trade back in afterwards?

Given we have only two picks in the top 60 this year due to previous years I am not sure trading out future firsts to get another pick this year is worth it. If we get our pick and Kako great. If we have to take our picks and miss out on Kako then so be it. Taj Hotton is a jet and will be a very goof small forward / midfielder. Berry is very good. Travaglia would fit at half back. Lindsay is a classy outside ball user. Someone out of those rated in the top 8 will slide back.

Given we have only two picks in the top 60 this year due to previous years I am not sure trading out future firsts to get another pick this year is worth it. If we get our pick and Kako great. If we have to take our picks and miss out on Kako then so be it. Taj Hotton is a jet and will be a very goof small forward / midfielder. Berry is very good. Travaglia would fit at half back. Lindsay is a classy outside ball user. Someone out of those rated in the top 8 will slide back.
Really? So be it? I feel like it would be a massive blunder if we were not proactive enough to take advantage of Kako via NDA. Like if Melbourne reach that high, fine. But we should have a plan for st kilda, surely.

Let him slide and use 9 and 28. Not like we can not land someone else who is rated in the similar range.
I would love to have kako but there are other guys we can take.

Feels like a bad value play.

The whole point of having the NGA advantage is getting a 2 for 1 opportunity on top talent.

If Melbourne was to make a bid at 6 you have to have a trade out contingency. So you still go 2 for 1

a F1 from a mid/bottom team + points at the minimum is what you should be accepting

Feels like a bad value play.

The whole point of having the NGA advantage is getting a 2 for 1 opportunity on top talent.

If Melbourne was to make a bid at 6 you have to have a trade out contingency. So you still go 2 for 1

a F1 from a mid/bottom team + points at the minimum is what you should be accepting
Any bid makes it bad value to match in my opinion. It takes out the first pick and you have to trade out future picks to do anything and then we go into the next draft with 2 or 3 picks. For me better to take your medicine now.

Really? So be it? I feel like it would be a massive blunder if we were not proactive enough to take advantage of Kako via NDA. Like if Melbourne reach that high, fine. But we should have a plan for st kilda, surely.
There are plenty that are rated very closely to Kako that fit a hole we have.

Because we're going to **** up next years draft by trading assets and maybe end up the exact same situation.

If someone wants to pop Kako at 7-8-9 let them, we'll draft a better player more than likely and can add a project tall (need to pair someone with Caddy eventually) or small forward (if we go mid/forward in first round) at 28.

Even if you look at like for like, Hotton would be top 5 in this class if he didn't do his acl, some consider Berry to be flat out better and Hannaford is coming with a rocket. (Probably gets picked up by Dogs with Geelongs first rounder)

Any bid makes it bad value to match in my opinion. It takes out the first pick and you have to trade out future picks to do anything and then we go into the next draft with 2 or 3 picks. For me better to take your medicine now.

See I don’t think there’s any medicine to take. The advantage of NGA is you get top talent for peanuts via late round point matching. That still happens if you trade out.

Given how highly other teams rate this draft if we are trading pick 10 that will have huge value and we should be able to get overs on any deal.

At the very least it should be some points + F1 and either F2 or F3

Or Maybe something like Finn McGuinness + Hawks F1 + points for 10 (values McGuinness as a 2nd in practice)

It sucks to be trading out of a strong draft but if that’s the value play then it’s the smart thing to do

Fox
Kako attends the same school that current Bombers excitement machine Nate Caddy attended last year.

And he is excited to potentially “link up together on the big stage” with Caddy in the red and black.

“It would be pretty good to link up with him again and share the big stage,” he said.

“We’re real good mates and have played a lot of footy together. We were a dynamic duo back in high school kicking bags of goals together.

“We’re pretty close mates and still stay in touch. I ask him a lot of questions, he’s got a wealth of knowledge now, I’ve been picking away at his brain and he’s been really good.”

Do you?

A bid comes from St Kilda. We trade 9 for F1 and pick 40 odd. We don't lose future picks at all and retain a first round pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely pick 8 will be rated high enough we could get a late first and future first out of it from a contender. Get Kako with it and still have the extra. Would be fun to death ride a team next year
Um, you do realise that the late first would be swallowed by a bid, right?

Um, you do realise that the late first would be swallowed by a bid, right?
Yes. But the next years one would not. Wed still likely have our second rounder which will probably not get pushed back much given the levi/lombard currency to go out before it.

Yes. But the next years one would not. Wed still likely have our second rounder which will probably not get pushed back much given the levi/lombard currency to go out before it.
See if we got that deal I'd still try to move that late first into next year.

Surely pick 8 will be rated high enough we could get a late first and future first out of it from a contender. Get Kako with it and still have the extra. Would be fun to death ride a team next year.

Doing a double live. Trade for 2 FRPs next year is pretty high degree of difficulty but would be great if we could pull it off no question

Only Kako and a couple at the end of the draft?
I'm fine with loading up on picks next year. It's about maximising the talent that we can get. Look at Freo. They have three firsts and yes, two are likely to be spent on Bolton but it's still a good result for them. Ideally we'd walk away with a first (Smillie/Shanahan/Armstrong etc) and Kako this year but if we end up with Kako, two firsts and two seconds (for example) next year I won't complain.

Do you?

A bid comes from St Kilda. We trade 9 for F1 and pick 40 odd. We don't lose future picks at all and retain a first round pick.
You can but nothing is set in stone. If we don’t take him we still get a player who will have been rated the same or better most of the year and someone in the 35 range.
I like Kako but to be honest there are better players in my opinion.

See I don’t think there’s any medicine to take. The advantage of NGA is you get top talent for peanuts via late round point matching. That still happens if you trade out.

Given how highly other teams rate this draft if we are trading pick 10 that will have huge value and we should be able to get overs on any deal.

At the very least it should be some points + F1 and either F2 or F3

Or Maybe something like Finn McGuinness + Hawks F1 + points for 10 (values McGuinness as a 2nd in practice)

It sucks to be trading out of a strong draft but if that’s the value play then it’s the smart thing to do
I actually do not think Kako is the best player in the range. Ever since there has been speculation he may get taken early it seems he has jumped in ability. His range for me is still 12-20. Why am I trading out just to get a NGA when there I will be good picking that on exposed form is just as good.

I actually do not think Kako is the best player in the range. Ever since there has been speculation he may get taken early it seems he has jumped in ability. His range for me is still 12-20. Why am I trading out just to get a NGA when there I will be good picking that on exposed form is just as good.

Why?

Because Kako even at pick 6 after the discount and trade shenanigans probably only costs you pick 28

So even if it’s not as good value as if he was in the 12-20 range he should likely be in it’s still better value then taking a different player at 30 or whatever our 2RP drops too.

So it’s the value play even if it’s not as big of a steal as you’d expect/prefer

Just have to find a positive value trade for pick 10 (in a loaded draft that other teams will definitely overpay for) and your in front

You can but nothing is set in stone. If we don’t take him we still get a player who will have been rated the same or better most of the year and someone in the 35 range.
I like Kako but to be honest there are better players in my opinion.
Yeah, we can take three first round talents over the next 2 years. I'd rather take two this year and one next year than one this year and one next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back