Multiplat AFL Evolution 2

Remove this Banner Ad

When I first played it I thought it was absolutely terrible, but after about 10 games it's alright. Better than 2006? No.
Problems;
Camera - I don't get why this has been so hard. 2006 and even 2005 had a great behind the play camera, that just worked. It didn't take 5 years to turn around, it didn't drift all over the place while just standing doing nothing. The side camera is almost totally useless. This game isn't Fifa, a side camera dosen't work, especially when you can't see more than 30m in front of you.

Controls - A mass over complication of controls. In order to have any chance of preforming a successful pass, you need to find your target with the left analogue stick, hold down R1 to lock onto them, hold down L2 to select a stab pass, then press X, charge the kick, and let go at the right time, without having let go slightly of R1 or L2 even slightly. Why's it so complicated to do something as pass the ball? It should be look where you want to pass, press X, onto their chest. Tried pass assist on, pass assist off, made no difference. And this passing meter seems to be very precise, if you don't get it just right, the ball will go flying over your teammates head or straight into the man on the mark.

Marking - If my player isn't at least 10m free completely on their own and they try to take a mark, regardless of height or position or number of players or marking skill, the CPU will take the mark 90% of the time. I just end up spoiling every single contest now, which actually is simulated quite well in terms of its success rate. In 2006, when you kicked the ball, the player in the best position WHEN THE BALL WAS KICKED would take the mark unless a player with a significantly higher mark + height got to the contest OR if someone got in the right position and spoiled. It just worked so much better and was so much simpler.

Special Kicks - First, why is torp two buttons? Even from full back it's hard to pull off, and if your finger releases slightly from either one before the kick, it dosen't work, which makes it practically impossible on the run. Should be just R1, and you can release it as soon as you start charging up the kick.
I don't know about you, but I don't see any reason you would ever want to attempt a banana or snap anywhere but when kicking for goal from inside 50. I've never kicked one on the run, and from what happened when I tried them from set shots, they're completely useless. The banana goes dead straight for 40m before finally starting to turn after it's already gone 20m past the far behind post. The snap has the weakest hook I've ever seen and I have no idea what I should be aiming at, it always misses by 50 metres.
2006's goal kicking function was a metre on the bottom of the screen, with goalposts and a line moving automatically from side to side across them. The closer to goal you got the bigger the goals became and the slower the line moved. But this wasn't an automatic goal kick button, it kicked the ball relative to how you were positioned yourself. If you were deep in the left forward pocket, running towards the boundary line, if you kicked for goal when the line was over the right behind post, you'd snap the ball across your body. If you were having a set shot from next to the behind post on the boundary line, you could turn your player to face away from the goals, and if you timed the button press right, and accounted for the right angle, the wind, you'd banana the ball in for a goal. You didn't need dedicated buttons for these kicks because they're basically useless anywhere other than when you're less than 20m out and not between the two behind posts.

Spare man - From what I can tell this dosen't do anything either. It dosen't help that one option is something like "Spare Man: Play in Defense" and another one is "Extra spare in defence". None of them seem to do much, I end up with both my wingmen playing on the wing seemingly all the time.
2006 had the best feature ever - you could get any AND every player on the ground to tag any player. Which means when you go a goal up with a minute to go, you can order all 18 players to tag the opposition's full forward, and if your opponent wins the clearance, they'd kick it long to the square and there'd be 15 players all standing around him, ready to spoil. Or if you've got a midfielder who's unstoppable, just get 3 or 4 blokes to tag him and shut him down. Or need extra forwards? Get your wingman to tag the fullback. The full back keep taking uncontested marks in the goal square? Send your forward to tag the left half forward, the full back will follow him over there, clearing the goalsquare out. So much more fun, and actually worked. In fact, O don't think you can actually tag anyone in this game.

"New" Player Roles - Everyone was so excited when they saw they could now select someone to do the kick ins, and designate a second ruckman, even though by halfway through the second quarter you'd end up with your full back rucking the centre bounces.
Once again, 2006 had these already, and not only did they work, there were more options. You could select TWO players to rotate kickins. You could select a player to do the ruckwork inside the forward 50 AND one to do ruckwork inside the defensive 50. And they actually worked. Another 'new feature' that's actually a downgrade.

What it does better:

Graphics - That's pretty much the extent of that. Has almost no impact on my opinion of the game compared to 2006.

Running down the clock - Was pretty much impossible to do a short kick that actually worked in 2006, would almost always be cut off, spoilt or be so short it'd be play on. In this, I can actually pass kick the ball around the defensive 50 to waste time and take a minuite off the clock without dropping a mark or making a contest.

Kicking to Space - Unless you kicked to an area of the ground with literally no players or kicked a torp 60 metres your kick would always lock onto a player, teammate or opponent. You can actually kick the ball to space in this game and run onto it, to avoid being forced to kick to a one on one.

Team lineup - This actually shows you which players are lining up against eachother, and displays them on a field instead of a list. While this is better than 2006, 2005 did this far better, showing the whole field at once, and showed your opponent's full stats including height and weight.

That's enough for now.

I have been playing on coach mode and all the in-game bugs have already been mentioned. I know it’s minor and cosmetic in the scheme of things, but I I love seeing how much in gate “recipts” I’ve earned after each game.

Plus, 21 rounds into the 2020 season, I’ve received notification that Sam Frost, Jaeger O’Meara, Jon Patton, Paul Puopolo, Jack Gunston, James Frawley, James Sicily and maybe 5-6 other players have all reached their 200-game milestone. Never 50 or 100 or 150...only ever 200, notwithstanding most of them in real terms are nowhere close to that.

On top of that, Tom Mitchell keeps emailing me saying he’s ready to prove himself...even though he’s out injured and can’t play. I am also constantly informed by the unnamed VFL coach that Daniel Howe is playing great reserves footy when he’s listed as unavailable for four weeks due to a facial fracture.

Also, I love the inclusion of even just a small selection of VFL grounds but it looks silly when I check the VFL fixture and there’s two games at the same time at the same venue because the developers didn’t include grounds like Sandringham, Preston (RIP), Werribee, etc.

When I first played it I thought it was absolutely terrible, but after about 10 games it's alright. Better than 2006? No.
Problems;
Camera - I don't get why this has been so hard. 2006 and even 2005 had a great behind the play camera, that just worked. It didn't take 5 years to turn around, it didn't drift all over the place while just standing doing nothing. The side camera is almost totally useless. This game isn't Fifa, a side camera dosen't work, especially when you can't see more than 30m in front of you.

Controls - A mass over complication of controls. In order to have any chance of preforming a successful pass, you need to find your target with the left analogue stick, hold down R1 to lock onto them, hold down L2 to select a stab pass, then press X, charge the kick, and let go at the right time, without having let go slightly of R1 or L2 even slightly. Why's it so complicated to do something as pass the ball? It should be look where you want to pass, press X, onto their chest. Tried pass assist on, pass assist off, made no difference. And this passing meter seems to be very precise, if you don't get it just right, the ball will go flying over your teammates head or straight into the man on the mark.

Marking - If my player isn't at least 10m free completely on their own and they try to take a mark, regardless of height or position or number of players or marking skill, the CPU will take the mark 90% of the time. I just end up spoiling every single contest now, which actually is simulated quite well in terms of its success rate. In 2006, when you kicked the ball, the player in the best position WHEN THE BALL WAS KICKED would take the mark unless a player with a significantly higher mark + height got to the contest OR if someone got in the right position and spoiled. It just worked so much better and was so much simpler.

Special Kicks - First, why is torp two buttons? Even from full back it's hard to pull off, and if your finger releases slightly from either one before the kick, it dosen't work, which makes it practically impossible on the run. Should be just R1, and you can release it as soon as you start charging up the kick.
I don't know about you, but I don't see any reason you would ever want to attempt a banana or snap anywhere but when kicking for goal from inside 50. I've never kicked one on the run, and from what happened when I tried them from set shots, they're completely useless. The banana goes dead straight for 40m before finally starting to turn after it's already gone 20m past the far behind post. The snap has the weakest hook I've ever seen and I have no idea what I should be aiming at, it always misses by 50 metres.
2006's goal kicking function was a metre on the bottom of the screen, with goalposts and a line moving automatically from side to side across them. The closer to goal you got the bigger the goals became and the slower the line moved. But this wasn't an automatic goal kick button, it kicked the ball relative to how you were positioned yourself. If you were deep in the left forward pocket, running towards the boundary line, if you kicked for goal when the line was over the right behind post, you'd snap the ball across your body. If you were having a set shot from next to the behind post on the boundary line, you could turn your player to face away from the goals, and if you timed the button press right, and accounted for the right angle, the wind, you'd banana the ball in for a goal. You didn't need dedicated buttons for these kicks because they're basically useless anywhere other than when you're less than 20m out and not between the two behind posts.

Spare man - From what I can tell this dosen't do anything either. It dosen't help that one option is something like "Spare Man: Play in Defense" and another one is "Extra spare in defence". None of them seem to do much, I end up with both my wingmen playing on the wing seemingly all the time.
2006 had the best feature ever - you could get any AND every player on the ground to tag any player. Which means when you go a goal up with a minute to go, you can order all 18 players to tag the opposition's full forward, and if your opponent wins the clearance, they'd kick it long to the square and there'd be 15 players all standing around him, ready to spoil. Or if you've got a midfielder who's unstoppable, just get 3 or 4 blokes to tag him and shut him down. Or need extra forwards? Get your wingman to tag the fullback. The full back keep taking uncontested marks in the goal square? Send your forward to tag the left half forward, the full back will follow him over there, clearing the goalsquare out. So much more fun, and actually worked. In fact, O don't think you can actually tag anyone in this game.

"New" Player Roles - Everyone was so excited when they saw they could now select someone to do the kick ins, and designate a second ruckman, even though by halfway through the second quarter you'd end up with your full back rucking the centre bounces.
Once again, 2006 had these already, and not only did they work, there were more options. You could select TWO players to rotate kickins. You could select a player to do the ruckwork inside the forward 50 AND one to do ruckwork inside the defensive 50. And they actually worked. Another 'new feature' that's actually a downgrade.

What it does better:

Graphics - That's pretty much the extent of that. Has almost no impact on my opinion of the game compared to 2006.

Running down the clock - Was pretty much impossible to do a short kick that actually worked in 2006, would almost always be cut off, spoilt or be so short it'd be play on. In this, I can actually pass kick the ball around the defensive 50 to waste time and take a minuite off the clock without dropping a mark or making a contest.

Kicking to Space - Unless you kicked to an area of the ground with literally no players or kicked a torp 60 metres your kick would always lock onto a player, teammate or opponent. You can actually kick the ball to space in this game and run onto it, to avoid being forced to kick to a one on one.

Team lineup - This actually shows you which players are lining up against eachother, and displays them on a field instead of a list. While this is better than 2006, 2005 did this far better, showing the whole field at once, and showed your opponent's full stats including height and weight.

That's enough for now.

You sound incredibly shit at the game

AFL Live got a 6 on IGN and 6.5 on Gamespot
Fair play but if it didn’t get at least a 6, then I’d say it’s a failed project so not exactly brag worthy
That being said, it was also the first console release in 4 years and the first on PS3/360, of course the sales were going to be better than the average AFL game
It simply isn’t as good as Evo 2 and that’s completely fine. It’s 9 years old.

What I don’t understand is the bashing of Evo 2 by Ross
I understand that he was asked the question but gee, a little more professionalism wouldn’t go astray.
Yes WW have had numerous attempts. Yes it’s their first relatively successful game.
Yes AFL Live was the benchmark prior to Evo 2. (See, AFL Live fans who also like Evo 2 exist, Ross)
But at least appreciate the fact that we actually finally have an enjoyable AFL game that plays like modern footy
There’s no certain way of knowing Big Ant could have done better. They’ve failed just as much as they’ve succeeded and their newer titles haven’t always been better than their previous attempts
Point is, if you don’t like the game and you think you can do better, then do something about it. Licensed or not
It’s one thing to cast judgement over a game you don’t like. It’s another to do it in an unprofessional manner bragging about a game that got a 6/6.5 and continuing on with the “I could do better” approach
Might have to start referring to you as ‘Ari Gold’ (Entourage reference)

Sorry mods, this is my last say on the matter 😁

AFL Live got a 6 on IGN and 6.5 on Gamespot

Not sure how much credence I would give to IGN and Gamespot reviews of Australian niche sport video games

There’s no certain way of knowing Big Ant could have done better. They’ve failed just as much as they’ve succeeded and their newer titles haven’t always been better than their previous attempts

But if that's the route you want to go down:

Cricket 19: IGN 8.0 https://www.ign.com/games/cricket-19-the-official-game-of-the-ashes
MLB The Show 20: IGN 8.0 https://www.ign.com/games/mlb-the-show-20
NBA 2k20: IGN 7.8 https://www.ign.com/games/nba-2k20
FIFA 20: IGN 7.8 https://www.ign.com/games/fifa-20

It saddens me to play Cricket 19 and imagine what an AFL game of equivalent quality would be.

Not sure how much credence I would give to IGN and Gamespot reviews of Australian niche sport video games

Cricket 19: IGN 8.0 https://www.ign.com/games/cricket-19-the-official-game-of-the-ashes

It saddens me to play Cricket 19 and imagine what an AFL game of equivalent quality would be.
So because of one really good game, that means they’re best suited ?
As I stated in my previous post
They’ve developed titles in which they’ve taken steps backwards
They developed complete flops
It also took them numerous tries to finally get that elusive 8.
I’m not saying WW are a godsend or that BA couldn’t have done a better job, I’m simply saying that Evo 2 is a great step in the right direction and the developer is irrelevant as long as we’re enjoying the games we’re getting

Last edited:
So because of one really good game, that means they’re best suited ?
As I stated in my previous post
They’ve developed titles in which they’ve taken steps backwards
They developed complete flops
It also took them numerous tries to finally get that elusive 8.
I’m not saying WW are a godsend or that BA couldn’t have done a better job, I’m simply saying that Evo 2 is a great step in the right direction and the developer is irrelevant as long as we’re enjoying the games we’re getting

We don't really disagree on much mate. I would be the first to congratulate WW on a great game and indeed there are some big improvements with this one. Honestly with a proper rotatable camera, less AI complete stupidity (e.g. OOBOTF from full back) and a few less bugs and it would be quite an enjoyable experience.

I would just say that go back 10 years and no one in their right mind would choose AFL Live Wii (by Wicked Witch) as the basis for a generation of games over AFL Live 360/PS3/PC by Big Ant, except if they were just trying to save money (which Tru Blu definitely was). Not only was it not a "proper" sports simulation, being more of a Wii "paddle" game, but it was a poor one at that. I went back and watched some footage the other day. You know that ridiculous Cripps one-handed hold the ball up high to dodge a tackle? It's ripped straight from AFL Live Wii. Exact same animation.

These do work. Press X on the option to open up a window that explains each one in more detail, with a diagram of how they each work.
You can see this happen pretty clearly during gameplay too.

I don't want to make interchanges manually though. I still want automated subs.
The interchange bug still happens when you do them manually during general gameplay... you might just do less interchanges, and therefore they’ll be less times you see it occur.
But at least your ruckman won’t change to some random player. 😀

Is there confirmation that holding R2/RT when tackling makes for a more ‘aggressive’ tackle? I can’t remember if this was in a previous AFL game but its probably worth adding. Like in NBA 2K leading to an aggresive steal attempt when on defence.

that is confirmed in one of the loading screens before a game

6.5 and 6 respectively, but it's really irrelevant because Evolution was never reviewed by either outlet and it's unlikely Evo 2 will be either, so there's no comparison point. Also, I take reviews for AFL games and any niche sports title with a large grain of salt because it often feels like the reviewers lack perspective or an understanding of what is important in the game.

That's always been a problem with sports games. I used to hate when those dweebs Hex and Bajo would review a footy or cricket game because they had no idea what they were looking for, and would quite often make fun of the sports before signing off with smug, condescending remarks like "I guess it's ok if you're into this sport."

So in last night's game, when O'Brien got tired the game threw Rory Laird into the ruck.

Rory Laird.

178cm Rory Laird.

Nicknamed "Desk" because he's wider than he is tall Rory Laird.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any idea why I can’t do the roster update? Says Can not access this area please check connection when I hit download, online leaderboards etc all work fine so it’s not an internet issue

I think a good idea would be to add classic sides in as playable sides exactly like on 2K. Example would be currently watching 05 Swans v Eagles and be cool to be able to play that match with those sides and guernseys etc. Little things like that would add so much. I get you can make the sides & players but damn that is way too much effort.

Is there any way to set up a WAFL comp and have it so matches are played at suburban grounds rather than the default Optus stadium every match?

I played a full season during the week whilst trying to learn the controls. so my team went shit and were on bottom at various points or close to bottom. I swear with about 3 rounds to go I only had 5 wins and a draw but somehow at end of season I end up 12th with 10 wins...lol... I also swear Swans were a team up near top but they were one of lower teams and missed finals on final ladder ?

Anyone else reported a bug like this?..
I thought I was imagining it or lost touch with how many wins I was on, but no way did I win that many games.

I think a good idea would be to add classic sides in as playable sides exactly like on 2K. Example would be currently watching 05 Swans v Eagles and be cool to be able to play that match with those sides and guernseys etc. Little things like that would add so much. I get you can make the sides & players but damn that is way too much effort.

2004 had that. A few were to rewrite history but others were to recreate a classic match as a challenge /task

Cricket 19 is quality? Sheesh...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if this review has been posted, but apart from the Joe Misiti Jnr lols, there's a few comments that are a bit off.

Like this:

A lot of the gameplay is timing-based - hitting buttons at the right time to take marks

Marking is about positioning in this one, not timing.

The goalkicking meter is horribly laggy. It takes a while to get used to, but when you need to hit a specific window to ensure a straight set shot and you can’t rely on the game accurately recording your input, it’s frustrating.

Eh? Goal kicking from set shots is the easiest part of the whole game. Too easy maybe.

Apart from that it's a decent enough review. Better than the one from Press Start (or wherever it was from).

Well my first game Nic Nat didn't take long to end up in defense, which might have been intentional since it it totally shut down my small forward line when Daniher decided to take a 3 quarter break on the bench and I ended up with Tippa and Townsend in 1 on 1s with someone 30cm taller than them.

So in last night's game, when O'Brien got tired the game threw Rory Laird into the ruck.

Rory Laird.

178cm Rory Laird.

Nicknamed "Desk" because he's wider than he is tall Rory Laird.

I played a game with GWS the other day where when Jacobs got tired they threw Himmelberg into the ruck. Okay, fair enough.

Then Himmelberg got tired and they threw Nick Haynes into the ruck.

Then Phil Davis.

Then Heath god damn Shaw.

The good news is that thanks to how ridiculously easy ruck contests are in this game, 5th choice ruck Heath Shaw still won the hitout every time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat AFL Evolution 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back