AFL Evolution - Out May 5 - (Cont in LAUNCH THREAD - link in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wicked Witch were responsible for the diabolical AFL Live 2, Tru Blue were responsible for the enjoyable AFL Live.

Tru Blue weren't the problem, Wicked Witch have been the problem.
I'm fairly certain tru blu have been the publisher behind all wicked witch AFL games right back to AFL challenge on psp

From what I've heard and read over time AFL challenge was made on a non existent budget while WW were given 6 months to make Live 2

Geez, the pacing was the big reason why I returned it. It was far from fast. It goes into super slow mode when you kick the ball around. AFL Live 1 was all about fast pacing. I didn't notice any graphical updates, either.

I found the pacing to be smooth, the biggest issue was the gameplay didn't have enough scope or variations of skills. Example being only one style of marking, they could have incorporated say 5-10 different ways to take a grab, which makes it feel more realistic. Same with goal kicking, which I couldn't figure out on the set shot. It could have been more detailed, varied and dynamic in its approach..

AFL Live 1 had those variations, which is why people reference it as probably the best so far.

But let's give WW a chance here, they could make something interesting with this newie..

There is nothing else coming out, so it's good to have a bit of enthusiasm about it..

I'm fairly certain tru blu have been the publisher behind all wicked witch AFL games right back to AFL challenge on psp

From what I've heard and read over time AFL challenge was made on a non existent budget while WW were given 6 months to make Live 2

They said it took 12 months to make AFL Live 2. Tru Blu don't care quality, they're only in it for the money, like any publisher. Wicked Witch don't care about Football. Big Ant really does cares about both and have expressed vast interest in the sport and it's fans. That's just how it is. I'm still hoping Big Ant finds a way to make another Football game, or if another developer, who cares as much as Big Ant come up to that challenge.

Are you saying there was less congestion? Real Football has congestion. In AFL Live 1, you'd have to strategically work around that reality.

The Bulldogs finals series reminded me a lot of Big Ants AFL gameplay style...

Maybe they were playing a lot of that game as training, lol...

Live 2 was more spaced and free flowing, but again, the gameplay felt a bit one dimensional...

You'd have to expect or hope that WW knew that going into this new game...(you'd assume)

They said it took 12 months to make AFL Live 2. Tru Blu don't care quality, they're only in it for the money, like any publisher. Wicked Witch don't care about Football. Big Ant really does cares about both and have expressed vast interest in the sport and it's fans. That's just how it is. I'm still hoping Big Ant finds a way to make another Football game, or if another developer, who cares as much as Big Ant come up to that challenge.

When you say it like that, if this is true then that's a damn shame..

That's when you know Big Ant was the obvious choice..

This is going to sound a bit forward but is there some responsibility on Big Ant to really push their case as developers.(I'm sure they have in some regard)...

BA are the closest thing to an Australian EA ...so if they sat down and articulated that, not in an arrogant way, but could get that message across to the AFL then that could help for future games..

But let's give Evolution a chance..

Yay!! A new game..

I found the pacing to be smooth, the biggest issue was the gameplay didn't have enough scope or variations of skills. Example being only one style of marking, they could have incorporated say 5-10 different ways to take a grab, which makes it feel more realistic. Same with goal kicking, which I couldn't figure out on the set shot. It could have been more detailed, varied and dynamic in its approach..

AFL Live 1 had those variations, which is why people reference it as probably the best so far.

But let's give WW a chance here, they could make something interesting with this newie..

There is nothing else coming out, so it's good to have a bit of enthusiasm about it..

I've given them about 3 chances. I bought AFL Challenge, AFL Wii and AFL Live 2. Returned all of them. I really gave them the benefit of the doubt, last time with 2. This is when everybody was bagging the change of developer, which it turned out everyone else was right. It only made me appreciate AFL Live 1 more than ever.

It's cool that a new game is coming out on current gen. I'm not confident that it's going to be good and would prefer a new game by Big Ant but hopefully it ends up being OK.

That's really what you'd be hoping for. A real improvement in playibility and variations of gameplay skills and a game that runs swiftly enough to feel somewhat revelant ....

When you say it like that, if this is true then that's a damn shame..

That's when you know Big Ant was the obvious choice..

This is going to sound a bit forward but is there some responsibility on Big Ant to really push their case as developers.(I'm sure they have in some regard)...

BA are the closest thing to an Australian EA ...so if they sat down and articulated that, not in an arrogant way, but could get that message across to the AFL then that could help for future games..

But let's give Evolution a chance..

Yay!! A new game..

It's all in good to believe they can do it, but their history of 6 crummy AFL games say otherwise. The gameplay has stayed the same in all the iterations, as well. Even AFL Challenge's gameplay is the same as Live 2. Just the graphics and features are different. I'm sure Big Ant have pushed as hard as they could. They've said they'd even take a loss if they could produce an AFL game. That says a lot right there.

Live 2 was more arcadey than the original. I thought some parts of 2 were better than 1 and vice versa. Both were far from perfect.

Still played the *#$&()*%& out of both of them though. I have Witcher 3 GOTY Edition sitting there unplayed because I play the AFL games instead. AFL game developers love suckers like me, I'd even buy the AFL equivalent of that Ashes game that got pulled from Steam *sigh*

Wish Evolution will come to PC though. Not sure I'll go as far as buying an Xbox One or a PS4 for it...

It's all in good to believe they can do it, but their history of 6 crummy AFL games say otherwise. The gameplay has stayed the same in all the iterations, as well. Even AFL Challenge's gameplay is the same as Live 2. Just the graphics and features are different. I'm sure Big Ant have pushed as hard as they could. They've said they'd even take a loss if they could produce an AFL game. That says a lot right there.

So in summary, the people who should know better don't really care and probably don't know much about gaming or is this purely a financial problem..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So in summary, the people who should know better don't really care and probably don't know much about gaming or is this purely a financial problem..

Well, I wouldn't say they know better. They're just thinking about making a profit. Big Ant seem to have artistic integrity, and would probably need more money to produce what they want. Wicked Witch I don't think have the same integrity with Football and will just take the job because it puts food on the table.

Why do the fonts have to be so 2004 for all of these games? The packaging is constantly tacky and wannabe.
If they ran a competition on this forum, let alone their facebook page, for whoever designs the best cover can get the game for free 5 days before everyone else - they'd end up with a fantastic cover and would cost them **** all.

Best case scenario here is WW produce a quality game that is either on par with big ant or at least on the road to there

I'd much rather have 2 Aussie developers producing quality sports games than just big ant doing them all and therefore having limited time to essentially do what they've done with lacrosse and now tennis

It's cool that a new game is coming out on current gen. I'm not confident that it's going to be good and would prefer a new game by Big Ant but hopefully it ends up being OK.

I think most would agree with this, but I wonder what standard we would all consider as 'OK'?

If it's making the gameplay as good as Live 1 then we all need our heads read. To have a company aiming to emulate a standard created 5-6 years prior is downright ridiculous, not to mention how the actual game of AFL has evolved in that same time. Surely the bar has to be set higher than that?

I think we all reaaallllyyy want it to be good, but deep down we have a strong inkling that it won't be.

I think most would agree with this, but I wonder what standard we would all consider as 'OK'?

If it's making the gameplay as good as Live 1 then we all need our heads read. To have a company aiming to emulate a standard created 5-6 years prior is downright ridiculous, not to mention how the actual game of AFL has evolved in that same time. Surely the bar has to be set higher than that?

I think we all reaaallllyyy want it to be good, but deep down we have a strong inkling that it won't be.
To be honest, as long as it is fun, has good modes (coach and player) and is a good platform to build off, thats a win

The name does not fill me with confidence.
I think the name actually fills me with more confidence. The name suggests the game is evolving therefore, it should be very different to AFL Live 2. They've had 3 years and with the new name like it is, the game should be an improvement. My early tip for front cover player is the Bont as he represents the game's title as a 193cm midfielder. My runner up for the cover would be Tom Boyd, at least better choice then Reid.

I think the name actually fills me with more confidence. The name suggests the game is evolving therefore, it should be very different to AFL Live 2. They've had 3 years and with the new name like it is, the game should be an improvement. My early tip for front cover player is the Bont as he represents the game's title as a 193cm midfielder. My runner up for the cover would be Tom Boyd, at least better choice then Reid.
They'll put Dangerfield on the cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back