AFL Evolution - Out May 5 - (Cont in LAUNCH THREAD - link in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it looks really good, honestly just glad it looks much more of a natural speed than Live 2 was. Also, my personal biggest worry was that the game did that slow motion gap in between a tackle and a mark, looks like thats gone!! Definitely keen now!

There seems to have been a deliberate design decision to limit congestion as much as possible. I like it. I reckon accurately having the right amount of players around the ball and blocking up space would be too difficult to achieve while making a fun game.

Of course we don't know the impact of tactics yet though

Wasn't there an animations patch on AFL Live 1? May have been a year after it came out along with the new years lists.

Well the animations didn't really change. The way they were handled changed a bit so the spoiling and bumping became a little less overpowered.

Looks fun!

Sold.

...when it arrives on Steam

Will probably end up buying it on all platforms, as I did with the first BigAnt game (started on ps3, got it on 360 and completed the holy trinity when it was released on GFWL download for pc :D).

Actually did it a lot over the years, I own AFL Live Premiership Edition 2004 on both ps2 and pc.

Game looks so fluid. Also you can definitely see separation between opponents if you look at the players during the tackle and the Heath Shaw evade - that one in particular there's 2 other GWS players ready to receive and with some distance on their opponents.

My biggest question now is how much of a difference there will be in controlling a Rioli vs a Witts or similar. Hopefully there's clear distinctions in controlling different types of players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As someone who played RC3 for a little while that Wicked Witch developed I can say that they have improved heaps since Live 2. RC3 did have a few issues though it lacked a little bit of polish but it was a decent game. I hope they bring that effort plus a bit into this and we would be talking about great AFL game and to those complaining bout the graphics and other shit I have these words for you. This game was developed by a small studio in Melbourne with a limited budget not a huge studio like EA who has a huge budget they can give their people to work with. Also EA or 2k will never make a AFL game as they will lose money on it so stop complaining cause this looks pretty ****ing good from an Aussie studio

I swear every single game in existence has run-ups that are either too short or off of one step, annoys me every time. AFL Live 1 I wouldn't enter the goal kicking view, just move the player back and run in and kick. Lost the ability to aim, but it looked more realistic that way.

Other than that, the video actually looked alright, need to see more though.

Footage up on the Giants Facebook page, looks half decent if im being honest. Not quite sure about the camera flashes when Toby Greene takes a shot during a day game though
lol you noticed that? jesus christ serious nit picking going on here. what next a player has a hair out of wack?

lol you noticed that? jesus christ serious nit picking going on here. what next a player has a hair out of wack?

Well yes, thanks for mentioning that.

Hair out of place about 30 seconds in. Another failure from WW

To those saying that Shaw would've been tackled had the players known how, while I think that's correct it definitely looked like he had enough space to be able to try a fend off or would've been cleaned up (both of which are pretty realistic for the situation he was in)

Also noticed that when a player was beaten in the marking contest and ran up to stand on the mark they were pointing to the spot (a nice little touch)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems to be very man on man, like players don't stray 5m from their opponent. Also there didn't seem to be much of a chance for defenders in marking situations, having said that, they are probably unlikely to showcase defensive stuff to promote the game. I'm still going to hold back until I've played a few hours though.

And who would one of those people be?
a whiny little bitch

It's definitely not his nuts. It is however part of the cushion he is sitting on... if you have a look to the left of screen you can see a second pillow with the same pattern..

On ASUS_Z010DD using BigFooty.com mobile app
Thanks for taking a real close look for us.

Screen_Shot_2017_04_26_at_13_42_17.png

You can see on the radar at the bottom (I think the play is currently on the left) that players seem to stick closely to their positions. You can see the half forwards and deep forwards on the right, i.e. away from the action, are closely in formation. I understand that you can't have everyone around the ball like in real matches as it would be too slow and congested, but I hope the game has some fluidity in player positions, and isn't just an elaborate kick to kick with pairs of players.
It's also GWS vs GWS with the exact same tactics on so that could be part of the reason why it looks the way it does.

Looks fun. Couldn't care less about the graphics so long as it's enjoyable to play.

For all those complaining about players sticking to their positions and not pressing up etc, not sure you understand just how many variables there are for tactics and how difficult they would be for a major developer to implement, let alone a small one. In what is hopefully a foundation game that they can build on, that stuff isn't even remotely important.

Devs have done a great job with what they've got; if they have managed to put together a game that doesn't feel as though there is only one way to play and win (eg constant handball, constant bombing long or any other repeatable act), it will be good fun.

deesjosh5 I didn't pick up on that - good spot.

This will be a very handy feature, provided that the gameplay mechanics allow it to be utilised. By that, I mean that previous AFL games desperately needed this feature since reading the mini-map was nearly impossible due to the tackle-fest resulting in usually only having seconds before disposal was necessary. Unfortunately, even if it wasn't so tackle-laden, then they often lacked the needed kicking mechanics (e.g AFL Live 1 not having a clearance button - if a player can fire a 40m+ kick by throwing it on the boot, then a tap of the button should produce the same and not require a second of charging).

I believe the following should be included in some capacity (whether that's an individual button, or button + modifier, whatever):
  • Passing Kick - This option is like "autocorrect", much like FIFA's ground pass. So long as you are relatively on point with your aim, then it will correct for the player in that direction. This can be held down for distance/speed (again, like FIFA) with the game realising a long hold want's the player 40m down the line, not 15m. There should be a modifier to lead the player with the ball, so that the game knows you want to kick over the head of a close player and have him run on, rather than draw the further player into a lead.
  • Passing Handball - As above.
  • Shot on Goal - Self explanatory. Hold it as required, with modifiers for snaps, torpedoes, and dribble kicks.
  • Clearance - This should be a one button tap that will clear the ball 25-55ish metres, based on stats and a "dice roll". The direction will automatically aim in the direction your team is kicking. Some might get plenty of vertical some might have 20m air time then 20m bouncing etc etc
  • Clearance on Goal - Same button as clearance, however this will aim for the goals if within scoring distance. This will allow for the quick kick out of a pack, but accuracy will be reasonably poor as in real life.
All of the above will be affected by stats and pressure multipliers (e.g fatigue, tackling, congestion etc.)

I have to say from what can be seen in that video, the game is good enough to get a fair bit of mileage out of. I was very concerned it'd have residual AFL Live 2 flaws (I never bought AFLL2 - I opted to stick with Live 1), but it mostly was not the case. I'm quite impressed.

On a side note, did anyone else notice when Greene kicks the goal, the ball appears to bounce of an invisible wall after it goes through the goals? I'm not nit-picking, just thought it looked strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back