AFL Grand final -- FA Cup final ticket price comparison

Remove this Banner Ad

FA cup is about the equivalent of a combination of the NAB Cup and Foxtel Cup.

Better off comparing to the Champions League final or World Cup final.

Champions League Final

The key numbers:
Ground capacity for the final: 62,500
Tickets available to public: 42,000
Tickets reserved for fans of finalists: 35,000 (17,500 per club)
Tickets on general sale: 7,000
Tickets reserved for UEFA and their partners: 20,500
Category 1 price: 370 euros
Category 2 price: 260 euros
Category 3 price: 160 euros
Category 4 price: 70 euros

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-champions-league-final-unveiled-7468476.html

World Cup Final

Match
Category 1
Category 2
Category 3
Category 4

Opening match
(£316)
(£210)
(£140)
(£49)

Group phase
(£113)
(£84)
(£56)
(£14)

Round of 16
(£140)
(£106)
(£120)
(£60)

Quarter-finals
(£210)
(£140)
(£106)
(£53)

Semi-finals
(£421)
(£281)
(£175)
(£120)

3rd place playoff
(£210)
(£140)
(£105)
(£53)

Final
(£633)
(£421)
(£281)
(£106)

Champion League fair enough, I don’t think you can really compare to a World Cup final though – it’s an international tournament, one of the biggest events in world sport. Demand is massive.

106 euros for a World Cup final ticket is staggering, not sure how many of them there would have been. I guess being in South Africa things were a bit different.

I remember being in Vienna in 2008 during the Euro finals, thought we might try to get along to the final – couldn’t get anything from a scalper for less than 2000 euros. That’s just anecdotal obviously, but the prices of these things when they’re held in Europe is much higher.

This.

Its hardly a valid comparison. The AFL GF remains the pinnacle, the holy grail, the whole point, of the AFL season. In complete contrast, the FA Cup has nowhere near the status today that it once had. For the very top clubs, they treat it more like the top AFL clubs treat the NAB Cup.

Heck, so far has its status fallen that Man U even withdrew from it a few seasons back to concentrate on a much bigger European title.

Incorrect actually

Yeah some here are going a bit overboard re the FA Cup – it’s not what it used to be, but it’s not exactly worthless.

Big clubs may not take it too seriously in the preliminary rounds, but they do once it gets to the business end.

Anyway, what counts re tickets is not the club itself, but whether fans take it seriously and want to attend the final. They definitely, definitely do.

Simple fact is, if the tickets sell out, then it's not too expensive. Gf ticket prices are fine I think. Preliminary finals in Sydney on the other hand.. They had 85,000 tickets to sell and priced them way too high. Complete rip off.

Simple fact is, if the tickets sell out, then it's not too expensive. Gf ticket prices are fine I think. Preliminary finals in Sydney on the other hand.. They had 85,000 tickets to sell and priced them way too high. Complete rip off.

That’s a purely commercial attitude - certainly not the attitude you have if you see yourself as “the game of the people”. There’s cultural considerations as well as economic.

The AFL could whack an extra $10 on H&A game tickets and it probably wouldn’t have a huge impact on attendances. They don’t for this very reason (H&A games are very well priced, the AFL should be praised for this).

I’m of the view that finals are too expensive – club members generally pay more for 3 finals than they do for their entire H&A season ticket – that’s too high.

I think people here are missing the point. If you look closer you will see that some of those champion league final venues are about 30% less capacity yet they still can get fans double the allocation for their club.

Grand Final and FA Cup final have pretty much always sold out

You realise England could be not far off bankruptcy.. A few more months they might be worth 35cents
I think that the welfare cuts about to be implemeted will be needed to build new Gaols to house those not happy with the cuts, which will leave football stadiums empty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why not compare AFL H&A ticket prices to EPL ticket prices?

There is a much bigger difference there. A GA ticket at Etihad or the MCG during H&A is $25

Looking at EPL tickets atm. The next Liverpool game at Anfield is £44 for the cheapest adult ticket.Not sure on the exchange rate at the moment but it's essentially double. Not to mention the fact that while trying to find EPL ticket prices I found that it would most likely be near impossible to get to one of these games if you're not a member.

I'd much rather be here thanks.

Looking at EPL tickets atm. The next Liverpool game at Anfield is £44 for the cheapest adult ticket.Not sure on the exchange rate at the moment but it's essentially double. Not to mention the fact that while trying to find EPL ticket prices I found that it would most likely be near impossible to get to one of these games if you're not a member.

I'd much rather be here thanks.

Anfield is not indicative of the EPL, by comparison tickets for Wigan home games and much cheaper and easier to get

Anfield is not indicative of the EPL, by comparison tickets for Wigan home games and much cheaper and easier to get

True but they are probably middle of the range. Also depends on who is playing, i've paid 30 quid for a Tottenham ticket against some lower profile teams, while a ticket against the big teams are at 70 quid which would get you into all games up to the PF in the AFL

Exactly right. What they're doing is making sure more of the ticket revenue goes to the league rather than scalpers as well, which is fair enough I reckon. If you raise prices and sell out you're going to keep raising prices, makes sense. For example Soundwave was about 170 bucks last year and sold out pretty much everywhere, got raised more than 20 and sold out everywhere this year. And I'm sure next year it will be over 200 and still probably sell out!

Well, had to get to SOAD. Looking forward to Anthrax in 2013! Great way to usher in the new season:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Grand final -- FA Cup final ticket price comparison

Remove this Banner Ad

Back