AFL industry clueless on coaching

Remove this Banner Ad

Great article by Jake Niall in The Age this morning.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/ne...1183833599058.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

What is clear, however, is that the AFL industry remains collectively clueless on the issue of coaches, persisting, as it does, with the absurd tradition of selecting them on the basis of a) profile, and b) their playing record. John Buchanan didn't play Test cricket. He wasn't even close. Bart Cummings didn't ride a Melbourne Cup winner. Don Talbot and Charlie Walsh, worldbeating coaches in swimming and cycling, didn't swim or ride with great distinction. Yet, in the AFL, there is an illogical view that one's playing ability is relevant to coaching prowess, when there is no evidence of a link.
In the AFL's American counterpart, the National Football League, Bill Cowher defied the odds in 2006 when he coached the Pittsburgh Steelers to victory in the Super Bowl (over Seattle). Cowher, you see, was the first Super Bowl-winning coach in 20 years to have PLAYED that game at NFL level. The previous former player was Mike Ditka, of the Chicago Bears, in 1986.
In the US, there is a professional coaching culture. The better coaches are drawn from a much vaster and more qualified pool of people; most played college football, not necessarily well. Vince Lombardi, the NFL's answer to Ron Barassi, Norm Smith and Jock McHale, didn't play NFL

Great article.

Why doesn't the AFL look outside itself for it's coaches?

Why does someone who coaches in the AFL have to have played the game at AFL/VFL level?

Sure, you've got to have an understanding of footy.

But other traits of successful coaches - as motivators, in weekday preparation, as leaders of men etc. - can be found more abundantly outside of people who have played AFL football.

AFL coaches are not considered to be part of a "profession" of coaching. There are only 16 head coach slots. State comps provide another 24-30, but rarely do you see a WAFL coach or VFL coach get mentioned as a candidate for a top job ?

There is no opportunity outside of Australia to coach at the highest level, which is why clubs align themselves with other sporting clubs in the world, and send coaches o/s to see what the "professional" coaches do...

What makes our game so great is also what makes it a cottage industry for the coaches who ply their trade.

AFL coaches are not considered to be part of a "profession" of coaching. There are only 16 head coach slots. State comps provide another 24-30, but rarely do you see a WAFL coach or VFL coach get mentioned as a candidate for a top job ?

There is no opportunity outside of Australia to coach at the highest level, which is why clubs align themselves with other sporting clubs in the world, and send coaches o/s to see what the "professional" coaches do...

What makes our game so great is also what makes it a cottage industry for the coaches who ply their trade.

I think you miss the point. The issue here is not the opportunities available but who is chosen to fill those limited spots. I would derive no additional satisfaction or enjoyment from the fact that the coach of my team was a former player as long as he is in there winning your club games. The problem here seems to be the false and outdated assumption that only someone who played the game can truly understand it. Given the mult-tiered set up of all clubs coaching department, I personally think this is rubbish. It is now, more than ever, irrelevant whether the figure at the top of the tree had an AFL career. You want the best leader/ motivator/ personnel mananger for that sport. And I bet 9/10 that would be someone who had never played a game in his life.

Half the clowns who run the game have played AFL as well. That could be half the reason.

When you think about it footy players are renowned for being dumb. Surprising no clubs have gone down this path already.

Would someone like Guus Hiddink (??) be able to coach AFL after a small tuition from an ex player or coach?

typical that a journalist who NEVER PLAYED THE GAME is advocating the hiring of coaches that NEVER PLAYED THE GAME

well jake, why don't you sacrifice your beloved collingwood rather than proposing your pie-in-the-sky stuff on melbourne, freo and carlton

Would someone like Guus Hiddink (??) be able to coach AFL after a small tuition from an ex player or coach?

Guus would be the best player manager of ego's and different personalities the AFL has ever seen. in terms of tactical process he would need a bit of help but in terms of motivation and mentality he would be better than anything the AFL has ever seen.

typical that a journalist who NEVER PLAYED THE GAME is advocating the hiring of coaches that NEVER PLAYED THE GAME

well jake, why don't you sacrifice your beloved collingwood rather than proposing your pie-in-the-sky stuff on melbourne, freo and carlton

It's close minded half-wits like you who this article is directed at. You ignore the substance and validity of the arguments raised for the CV of the guy who wrote it.

It's close minded half-wits like you who this article is directed at. You ignore the substance and validity of the arguments raised for the CV of the guy who wrote it.
*my parody of a close-minded halfwit

no surprise that it was west coast that threatened a fan riewoldt if a favourite son wasn't appointed.

You want the best leader/ motivator/ personnel mananger for that sport. And I bet 9/10 that would be someone who had never played a game in his life.

One problem I could see is that AFL players can be a pretty insular and egotistical lot. I think a lot of the time it takes someone who's been there and done that in order to earn the respect needed for them to look up to them as a leader/motivator.

Otherwise how's a cocky 21 year old going to feel when a guy that's never played at this level tries to berate him for not putting his body on the line running back with the flight of the ball. I think that's why it could be easier for coaches that have an aura as ex-playing stars to gain the respect of their players.

I'm not saying that it's always the case or even that it should be the case but I think it could be a factor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One problem I could see is that AFL players can be a pretty insular and egotistical lot. I think a lot of the time it takes someone who's been there and done that in order to earn the respect needed for them to look up to them as a leader/motivator.

Otherwise how's a cocky 21 year old going to feel when a guy that's never played at this level tries to berate him for not putting his body on the line running back with the flight of the ball. I think that's why it could be easier for coaches that have an aura as ex-playing stars to gain the respect of their players.

I'm not saying that it's always the case or that it even should be the case but I think it could be a factor.

I don't think you could get any more egotistical men than NFL players. Just take a look at guys like Randy Moss, Chad Johnson, Terrel Owens...and yet they have all been coached by non-players to great success.

I don't think you could get any more egotistical men than NFL players. Just take a look at guys like Randy Moss, Chad Johnson, Terrel Owens...and yet they have all been coached by non-players to great success.

Yeah I did think about that. The only difference I can think of is that NFL is a much more tactical game and as far as I can tell the coaches job is mainly devising set plays and drilling them into his team.

There's also the different dynamics of the game to consider. NFL is basically a game broken up into hundreds of one off plays, so it would be a lot easier for the players to re-focus and re-motivate themselves for each play. The quarterback also has the opportunity to huddle his players in at every stoppage to focus them on the next play. Whereas an AFL coach has to somehow motivate his players to keep their intensity up for long continuous periods - to keep running when they don't feel like they can run any more and to throw themselves into physical contests along the way.

But you're right, if American athlete's egos can be managed then AFL players should be easy by comparison. But I think it would take a very strong individual to gain the respect of his players if he'd never played the game.

I'm not saying that it's always the case or even that it should be the case but I think it could be a factor.

Historically, I could see how that would have worked.

These days, you've got a bunch of blokes being paid a lot of money to do their job. Their job being - Do what the coach tells you to.

When money and professionalism weren't really a part of the game, I can see where respect for the on-field deeds of the coach would come into it, but these days it's all business.

It's all professional.

I reckon you're spot on.

By all reports, Wayne Brittain at Carlton was a tactical genius and highly endorsed by Parkin. Yet as a coach at AFL level he was a failure because the players didn't respond to him.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL industry clueless on coaching

Remove this Banner Ad

Back