AFL Industry - Voice Against Gender-Based Violence

Remove this Banner Ad

They are hypocritical singling Carey out when there are players on a similar level (including some recent "champions" of the game). Doesn't matter if they are from a Victorian or interstate club. Name, shame and get rid of them all.

Carey is the only one I know from the top of my head, I do agree though. Get rid of them all.

Do you legitimately believe that over 50% of women in this country would willingly choose to be in the vicinity
In the woods at night was I believe the claim.
of a bear instead of a human man? Is that seriously what you are implying?
Do you not trust the study?

Victims of Homocide by sex in Australia 2022-2023 as follows:
Male: 133 at a rate of 1.04 per 100,000
Female 58 at a rate of 0.45 per 100,000

The data tells us men are twice as likely to be murdered as women. That is not what i would call privilege.

Men are also more likely be a perpetrator of homocides and that is an issue but is a different thing to simply saying all men are privileged.
What about domestic homicide, what are your stats for that?

What the actual *?

This has zero to do with DV.
Being killed by home invasion or being robbed in the street is not the same as being beaten, allot of the time to death, by someone who supposedly loves you.
Yeah

The male homicides would include a large number of criminals too, and criminals are overwhelmingly male

What about domestic homicide, what are your stats for that?

Men are more likely to be victims of emotional abuse, as evidenced by the male suicide rate.

Women are more likely to ve victims of physical abuse, as evidenced by the death rate.

Neither have evidence of the actual statistics, as men will not report assault by a female partner at anywhere near the rate of females reporting by a male partner.

Dv stats also tend to leave out gender of the perpetrator, yet stats suggest same sex female couples are more likely to experience dv than same sex male.

It is not a gendered issue, and whilst we twist it into one, dv does not end

Would you rather find yourself alone in the woods with a bear or a man?
This is the question currently going across social media.
Most women answering the question say they would choose the bear, a decision that is jarring for many men.

How many father's on here with a daughter would say the man?
Close to zero I'd reckon

The AFL environment is perfect for Domestic Violence issues to be raised with its large male audience
How many of the respondents who answered in the affirmative for the bear actually have experience of being confronted by a bear in the woods?

Really AFL? Are you trying to tell us you really care about domestic violence?
Bit hard to take when you gladly allow gambling which is well known to contribute to domestic violence.
Blaming gambling or alcohol is somewhat of a cop out though.

Sure, there are strong links. But they are merely catalysts. The real problem is men having a part of their brain that even sees this as an option. That's what this week's gestures are trying to begin to address.

Gambling and alcohol, in moderation are completely fine.

Violence is not.

Blaming gambling or alcohol is somewhat of a cop out though.

Sure, there are strong links. But they are merely catalysts. The real problem is men having a part of their brain that even sees this as an option. That's what this week's gestures are trying to begin to address.

Gambling and alcohol, in moderation are completely fine.

Violence is not.
Neurosurgery?

BS. You can and should only blame the individual.

This is the exact s**t im talking about. The more you divert blame the bigger these issues will become. And it's ironic because you think that kind of opinion is helping when it is in fact doing the exact opposite.

There's nothing wrong with betting with mates if you want to do it and are staying within your limits. If you want to misconceive it as predatory or the reason for your gambling problem, look in the mirror instead.

The only people that have any responsibility regarding these things is parents who are raising their children. It's definitely not the AFL's problem let alone gambling ads or the AFL's support of it. See how many layers of blame people are willing to accept, geez.
If you keep being the victim, you can never become the hero.

I met countless of people who blame their lives on somebody or something else. Also met many who just get on with it and let them spurr them on to success.

The choices you do are yours, trauma, hardship may come on your way but the way you deal with it will always be with you.

The whole "bear" thought experiment has a very interesting angle: it focuses on an unfamiliar environment, where you are exposed.

This is what saddens me most about DV - it happens in the most familiar of environments where one should not feel exposed, but about as safe as one can be.

Imagine being chased by a bear at night, hiding from it, trying to outwit it, and finally, exhausted, managing to find the sanctuary of your home.

You breathe a sigh of relief for only a second, as the anxiety sets in: the ever present threat of violence in the home. Your home. Your safe place.

So some women would prefer a bear in the woods than a strange (as in unknown, not weird) man in the woods.

Then there are women that would probably take a chance on the bear in the woods over the man in their house. Think about that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Men are more likely to be victims of emotional abuse, as evidenced by the male suicide rate.

Women are more likely to ve victims of physical abuse, as evidenced by the death rate.

Neither have evidence of the actual statistics, as men will not report assault by a female partner at anywhere near the rate of females reporting by a male partner.

Dv stats also tend to leave out gender of the perpetrator, yet stats suggest same sex female couples are more likely to experience dv than same sex male.

I think same sex female relationships its higher levels of DV than both same sex male and hetero relationships.

But again, the thinking is all the stats are somewhat guesswork given underreporting.

Whoever came up with the idea that all men are privileged is a w***er when privilege is having something that sets you apart from most people. You can call AFL footballers privileged since they are elite sports people that enjoy the perks that come with that.
Anyone who thinks men AREN'T privileged needs to take a good hard look at themselves. When was the last time you thought about what you'd wear on a night out, just in case you gave someone the wrong idea and they assumed they had a right to verbally or physically sexually assault you?

Let's just keep our heads buried in the sand shall we???

So is alcohol, having a job you hate, being in an unhappy relationship, not handling stress, having no emotional intelligence, having no respect for women, not to mention some ingrain ‘complex’ cultural issues that seriously need to be addressed ASAP.

Violence towards women isn’t exclusively linked to gambling to a point where the AFL are unable to raise awareness to the broader issue which is men’s behaviour and attitude towards women.

Dismissing efforts like this only serves to build a bigger wall around confronting it.
You can dismiss it when you look at the Wayne Carey debacle though... And the possibility of Tarryn Thomas returning to the league.

You think more men are emotionally abused by female partners than the other way around?

Yeah... Nah....

If anything this thread highlights how measures like the minutes silence before games can be a positive one

This thread although has some interesting stances by some individuals has countless examples of genuine discussion about the overall issue and that discussion is being driven by some people wouldn’t of given the issue any thought at all previously and that can hopefully help build positive cultural change

So I don’t think anyone could argue that the AFL didn’t achieve anything with the minute silence

Anyone who thinks men AREN'T privileged needs to take a good hard look at themselves.

Far more likely to be victims of crime
Far more likely to live in poverty
Far more likely to die young
Far more likely to commit suicide
Far more likely to be less educated
Far more likely to be in prison
Far more likely to be portrayed negatively in the media

Maybe generalising isnt going to help... because this is an important topic.

I personally dont know anyone who abuses their partner in any way. I personally am not well off or wealthy, I live a good life and am happy but my privilege would be below that of many women. But Im not jealous about it and dont need to generalise about those more wealthy than me.

Other than thinking our taxes on the wealthy are far too low.

You can dismiss it when you look at the Wayne Carey debacle though... And the possibility of Tarryn Thomas returning to the league.

You can dismiss all efforts by the AFL to raise awareness about violence against women in 2024 because various media outlets continued to hire Wayne Carey despite his history of violence against women?

…and the potential return of a player that was banned for a year and sacked for his behaviour? - something that hasn’t happened yet?

You can dismiss all efforts by the AFL to raise awareness about violence against women in 2024 because various media outlets continued to hire Wayne Carey despite his history of violence against women?

…and the potential return of a player that was banned for a year and sacked for his behaviour? - something that hasn’t happened yet?
No... I can dismiss it because, until the well deserved public backlash, the NSW Australian Rules Hall of Fame was going to induct him as a legend...

A player who was sacked after multiple indiscretions and attempts at "rehabilitation". You're right, it hasn't happened yet, and it shouldn't.

No... I can dismiss it because, until the well deserved public backlash, the NSW Australian Rules Hall of Fame was going to induct him as a legend...

A player who was sacked after multiple indiscretions and attempts at "rehabilitation". You're right, it hasn't happened yet, and it shouldn't.

Hmm…I don’t know - the Carey thing is poorly timed but ultimately the headline is that the AFL ‘stopped’ this from happening. I’d say it’s more on the AFL NSW specifically but I guess that is all part of the same pie.

Hmm…I don’t know - the Carey thing is poorly timed but ultimately the headline is that the AFL ‘stopped’ this from happening. I’d say it’s more on the AFL NSW specifically but I guess that is all part of the same pie.

Also comes down to what line you draw for non-football issues and whether you also go back through the history of people already on the lists and do a clean out.

Length of prison term?
Specific kind of charges?

Just legends or all halls of fame?

And clearly we are judging them based on today's standards and given standards change over time we review the list every 10 or 15 years and keep on culling?

Is an accusation enough? 3 accusations? Does it need criminal charges and a conviction? Do we run a poll on TikTok ?

Also comes down to what line you draw for non-football issues and whether you also go back through the history of people already on the lists and do a clean out.

Length of prison term?
Specific kind of charges?

Just legends or all halls of fame?

And clearly we are judging them based on today's standards and given standards change over time we review the list every 10 or 15 years and keep on culling?

Is an accusation enough? 3 accusations? Does it need criminal charges and a conviction? Do we run a poll on TikTok ?
Here's a hint... You'd don't "celebrate" someone with Carey's rap sheet in the same week that you "stand up for women".

Today's standards? So it was OK for Carey to grope a woman 15 years ago, but not now? And that's just one example.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Industry - Voice Against Gender-Based Violence

Remove this Banner Ad

Back