Cancelled
Jun 27, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
Just a simple point I want to make...

The AFL wants to investigate all teams in the next 12 months, at least that's what they've said. Lets say the next 3 teams they choose to investigate are, for example, StKilda Essendon and Brisbane.

It is not beyond the realms of possibility that one of these teams could be found to have cheated the salary cap at some stage over the past 4-5 years. Let's say that it might be StKilda who have amongst other things a $500,000 rated 2nd tier HF on their books. If they have been found guilty, and Carlton are stripped of picks 1 and 2, then what is their reward for breaking the cap?

Well blow me down, they get pick 1 in this years draft and next years pre-season draft too.

Can someone please tell me how this would be fair? Admitted this is purely hypothetical but it illustrates my point that if all clubs are to be investigated with equal vigour then surely all clubs should be penalised at the same time, in the same drafts, wouldn't that just be logical in the name of fairness???

Opinions.

• Banned
Good, it's about time everything started to come clean.

Collo's doing the right thing by writing to all the players asking for people to come forward if they've received outside-the-cap payments. I think we're in good hands with this bloke.

Originally posted by Deej
Good, it's about time everything started to come clean.

Collo's doing the right thing by writing to all the players asking for people to come forward if they've received outside-the-cap payments. I think we're in good hands with this bloke.
oh and you forgot to mention that collo has no choice as the afl will go thru carltons,s books with a fine tooth comb.

hardly a noble act my collo when he has no other choice.

cheers!

Ian collins has history, he knows the afl inside out, he conducted more shady deals than anyone, he was carltons c.e.o at the time " when everyone was doing it" take greg williams for example.
Then he ended up at the afl, and now The Telstra Dome he knows more about the workings of football than probably anyone.
More to it than meets the eye I think.

Carlton fans are funny. They wriggle and squirm, they try to get away, they try to find excuses, and they try to hide. But it won't work.

Just cop it on the chin Blueboys. You've had it coming to you, how long have you looked down on other clubs? , 30, 40, 50 years? Trust me, St Kilda, the Roos, Melbourne, Sydney and the Bulldogs are loving it. How long have you tried to screw other teams? You tried to screw the Roos, you tried to screw Sydney.

We're loving it.

I am sure you were the first to complain when Essendon and Melbourne copped penalties despite the high likelihood of Carlton cheating at the same time.

Innocent until proven guilty and all that, and as it stands Carlton next week will be the only club proven to be cheats. Why wait for other clubs to be audited before punishing Carlton where there is no evidence that they are breaking the rules.

Moomba

Let's say that it might be StKilda who have amongst other things a $500,000 rated 2nd tier HF on their books.

Not only are you adamant in continuing bull**** arguements, but this line just proves how delusional you really are.

Just a simple point I want to make...

The AFL wants to investigate all teams in the next 12 months, at least that's what they've said. Lets say the next 3 teams they choose to investigate are, for example, StKilda Essendon and Brisbane.

It is not beyond the realms of possibility that one of these teams could be found to have cheated the salary cap at some stage over the past 4-5 years. Let's say that it might be StKilda who have amongst other things a $500,000 rated 2nd tier HF on their books. If they have been found guilty, and Carlton are stripped of picks 1 and 2, then what is their reward for breaking the cap?

Well blow me down, they get pick 1 in this years draft and next years pre-season draft too.

Can someone please tell me how this would be fair? Admitted this is purely hypothetical but it illustrates my point that if all clubs are to be investigated with equal vigour then surely all clubs should be penalised at the same time, in the same drafts, wouldn't that just be logical in the name of fairness???

Opinions.

Talk about flogging a dead horse !! :rolleyes:

Do you really expect some sympathy from this lot, or for them to even try and make a genuine or rational response ??? The people on this site have no interest in Carlton apart from seeing them get their come uppance. No matter whether you are wrong or right, you are not going to win friends or arguments here.

Save your breath and your typing fingers, you are making yourself look like a bigger fool than you normally do with this ongoing tirade. ;)

Originally posted by windyhill
How do you feel about two of your favourite sons dobbing in your club ?

And then remaining on the Board despite being confessed cheats, and making noises to be part of Pagan's match committee? Oh, and they also supported Elliot during the campaign!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by hotpie

And then remaining on the Board despite being confessed cheats, and making noises to be part of Pagan's match committee? Oh, and they also supported Elliot during the campaign!

You still like Buckley don't you? Wasn't he found guilty of 'cheating'? (Draft tampering for those with short memories).

He's better than Elliot, and a good short term fix. But it won't make him an automatic success. Remember Joe Gutnik took his club through the "confession" stage early in his Presidency, but that all ended in tears.

Its when the finances surrounding Optus get fully revealed that Collo will be exposed, because his conflict of interest at Colonial will rear its ugly head. (insert rantings about Eddie Maguire here)

Originally posted by Port01

You still like Buckley don't you? Wasn't he found guilty of 'cheating'? (Draft tampering for those with short memories).

Making comments about where you wish to play is different to receiving secret payments for years on end.

Very different.

Originally posted by hotpie

He's better than Elliot, and a good short term fix. But it won't make him an automatic success. Remember Joe Gutnik took his club through the "confession" stage early in his Presidency, but that all ended in tears.

Its when the finances surrounding Optus get fully revealed that Collo will be exposed, because his conflict of interest at Colonial will rear its ugly head. (insert rantings about Eddie Maguire here)

Bof...

By then, the President of the Carlton Football Club won't be Ian Collins.

It'll be a premiership-winning captain of the Blues, Rhodes scholar, successful and ethical businessman by the name of Mike Fitzpatrick.

Originally posted by tiger of old

oh and you forgot to mention that collo has no choice as the afl will go thru carltons,s books with a fine tooth comb.

hardly a noble act my collo when he has no other choice.

cheers!
That's not quite true because apparently the AFL could not do this without players or officials coming forward or leaking information. It took a mistake by a player manager for the AFL to even be alerted to any possible breaches. I guarantee every clubs books will look squeaky clean unless they are a bunch of morons. It is beyond the books that the problems lie. If Collo has decided to get people to fess up, it has some honour to it but more than likely, he wants the slate wiped clean so the club doesn't have to worry about what other skeletons are rattling in the closet. I suggest after this investigation is over and we have been penalised, that Carlton would at that point of time be the cleanest club going around as all our demons would be freshly exorcised.

I do believe that some clubs will be proven to be victims of circumstance and the AFL needs to review the way they enforce the cap and mitigating circumstances.

Originally posted by Port01
I agree that picks 1 and 2 should have no bearing on the investigation or the penalty.

The media beat up of it is nothing short of a joke.

Are you serious??????

Carlton is ALREADY under suspension for salary cap breaches.

Or weren't you aware of that little fact?

And the FACT is this was well known a few years ago. There were "problems" with player's and their payments in relation to the ATO ie -
The Australian Tax Office.

And yes, I agree it is a joke, a very bad joke. Carlton have been renowned in the past for "buying premierships" or buying players.

The AFL must take away their picks, They did it to Freo.

Originally posted by Michele
And the FACT is this was well known a few years ago. There were "problems" with player's and their payments in relation to the ATO ie -
Then why didn't they do something about it then? Can they elect to wait until a player has draft picks worth taking before they act?

Originally posted by Michele

Are you serious??????

Carlton is ALREADY under suspension for salary cap breaches.

Or weren't you aware of that little fact?

And yes, I agree it is a joke, a very bad joke. Carlton have been renowned in the past for "buying premierships" or buying players.

The AFL must take away their picks, They did it to Freo.

Did they take away Freo's #1&2 picks? Deary me, then how did they trade one of them? :rolleyes:

The previous breaches werent deliberate, and that is a huge difference.

I can understand what everyone says about you Michele...

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL investigation flawed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back