AFL LIVE 2011 - 360, PS3 & PC - Part 17 - READ FAQ BEFORE POSTING

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you're missunderstanding me, I dont want every kick to go straight, I just want the ones where you perfectly time your kick, those ones shouldnt swing.

Its not a big deal, i just dont think every kick should swing. becasue in real life if you hit a ball sweetly it wont swing.

I completely agree with this. If the meter for goal kicking had like a green small bar for a 'perfect' kick, then it shouldnt swing. Of course, have that green section next to the red so you either perfectly hit it or you shank it if there is too much power.

A prime example of a long kick where the ball didnt swing was Alan Didak's goal in last years drawn Grand Final. He was 45 out, on the non prefered side on the boundary, and still sliced it between the eyes. This should be possible in my opinion.

The game counts all the votes at the end of the home and away season and then gives the medal to C.Judd. Just like in the real season.:thumbsu:

yeah but how are the votes given out in the first place. Previous games had who ever got the most possessions. This however did not indicate the best player as my fullback kicked in 20 times and got the 3 votes.

I completely agree with this. If the meter for goal kicking had like a green small bar for a 'perfect' kick, then it shouldnt swing. Of course, have that green section next to the red so you either perfectly hit it or you shank it if there is too much power.

A prime example of a long kick where the ball didnt swing was Alan Didak's goal in last years drawn Grand Final. He was 45 out, on the non prefered side on the boundary, and still sliced it between the eyes. This should be possible in my opinion.

There is nothing wrong with the swinging kicks the way they are... If you have a Meter for perfect straight kicks then over time people will be able to perfect the timing and never miss a set shot again and the score lines of 21.1.127 that everyone complains about from previous games will be back again... Or the other situation that could arise is if you allow for the swing but u hit the kick perfectly then it will go straight and miss as it will if you aim for a straight kick and don't time it the swing will take it away... The current way is the best, straight kicks are a stupid idea.
I know i sort of contradicted myself a bit there but i hope you know what i mean

There is nothing wrong with the swinging kicks the way they are... If you have a Meter for perfect straight kicks then over time people will be able to perfect the timing and never miss a set shot again and the score lines of 21.1.127 that everyone complains about from previous games will be back again... Or if you allow for the swing but u hit the kick perfectly then it will go straight and miss as it will if you aim for a straight kick and don't time it the swing will take it away... The current way is the best, straight kicks are a stupid idea

Sorry mate I have to disagree with that. I think the current system is fine however for the better kickers in the league, who actually kick straight, there should be an option there to not swing the ball. You saying straight kicks are a stupid idea just makes you look stupid mate because as it is in this game, you can have a shot from inside the goal square, and it will SWING 5 metres out. Get it? For players like Didak who can pierce the ball without swinging it, then they should have the advantage of kicking straight, even from the boundary!

Not true, i've seen the umpire throw the ball up alot in the dry.

Was it NAB cup rules? In the H&A season bounces the ball in the dry.

There is nothing wrong with the swinging kicks the way they are... If you have a Meter for perfect straight kicks then over time people will be able to perfect the timing and never miss a set shot again and the score lines of 21.1.127 that everyone complains about from previous games will be back again... Or if you allow for the swing but u hit the kick perfectly then it will go straight and miss as it will if you aim for a straight kick and don't time it the swing will take it away... The current way is the best, straight kicks are a stupid idea

lol NO!

you just made the point to why all kicks shouldnt swing. everyone will get used to how far the ball swings and kick 21.1.

There should be some sort of accuracy with timing or something.

Considering i haven't played the game, i can't really talk on how it feels, but judging from watching plenty of set shots in the videos the lining up of a player for a set shot seems rather over compensated. The old saying "never give away the goals comes to mind." Just doesn't seem right that you can be facing right at 12 o clock, and the kick skews off towards 11 o clock right off the boot. Natural swing requires the ball to be in the air for a while before it takes effect.

Everything else looks ace though, can't wait to play it.

Yeah I know it sounds good in theory having straight kicks mate but it is a video game and I think sometimes you have to just have safeguards against people exploiting it. I think having straight kicks with a meter is open to massive exploitation for people that are great at those timing sort of things.... Set shot goalkicking is such a hard thing to get right I just think what big ant has done is the best and fairest way of doing it!! Time may well tell that even the current method is easier to nail with practice too!! We shall see!

Something along the lines of taking a free throw in nba 2k11, you hold the button to start the motion then release the button when the perfect time to kick is. If you hold too long or early you shank. if you nut it then bang straight through the sticks it goes.

I havent played the game yet so i cant really be critical but if everyball swings the same no matter how you press the button wouldnt it get really easy to shoot for goal after a while?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you guys actually played the game? It's an awesome effort and it's in the best possible hands for future versions.

So just support it, offer improvement suggestions when appropriate and we'll see it get better and better when future versions are released.

For the record, the ball swings differently for different players and conditions, area of the ground you are in and distance from goal. So it's quite a lot more in depth that NBA's stupid "timing" system which sucks balls big time.

Save your critique until after you play the game.

Sorry mate I have to disagree with that. I think the current system is fine however for the better kickers in the league, who actually kick straight, there should be an option there to not swing the ball. You saying straight kicks are a stupid idea just makes you look stupid mate because as it is in this game, you can have a shot from inside the goal square, and it will SWING 5 metres out. Get it? For players like Didak who can pierce the ball without swinging it, then they should have the advantage of kicking straight, even from the boundary!

Sorry, just have to disagree. If you were to hit a ball straight then you would be at the mercy of any prevailing breeze.

The ball may appear to go straight but you are not considering the wind resistance and left to right or right to left breeze (swirl at the G) that causes the ball to appear to go straight. ie if you account for the breeze with your natural draw or fade the ball will go straight but that is because of the opposing forces at play. No player has a perfect pendulum leg and foot, no player drop's the ball perfectly in line with gravity (North to South).

Golf shows an exageration of this, all golfers know that they will draw or fade the ball, and will do it on purpose to account for breeze and approach, footballers do the same.

In any case, this is a game and if we made the ball go straight then it would be dead boring!

Something along the lines of taking a free throw in nba 2k11, you hold the button to start the motion then release the button when the perfect time to kick is. If you hold too long or early you shank. if you nut it then bang straight through the sticks it goes.

I havent played the game yet so i cant really be critical but if everyball swings the same no matter how you press the button wouldnt it get really easy to shoot for goal after a while?

Nope.

Different players and different power effects the arc (as does the breeze), you can roughly learn where to aim, just like the real thing (this is how points happen :) )

lol NO!

you just made the point to why all kicks shouldnt swing. everyone will get used to how far the ball swings and kick 21.1.

There should be some sort of accuracy with timing or something.

There is, if you put down too much power it shanks the kick. So when you are 50 out and need to get a lot of power in to the kick you always run the risk of holding down a little too long and kicking a point (or on the full).

With the old way I find that after a few games I could stop the goal kicking meter on 100% power and 100% accuracy just about every time.

With the new way you have to adjust for the swing and each time you will be in a different position so you will never be 100% used to adjusting for the swing. Do you get what I mean? Obviously when you are close to the goal you won't have too many problems, but once you are further than 35m out and on an angle it may catch you out occasionally as you think you have adjusted enough for the swing, but in fact you haven't.

With the old way, just leave the aim as default (straight through the middle of the goals) power up your kick, hit perfect accuracy (easy in the old games) and unless it's blowing a gale, you dob it from 35-40m out every time straight through the middle, even with a tricky angle.

I like the new way. Kicking meters like that work ok in Madden for Field Goals and Kickoffs because they aren't a huge part of the game, but with Aussie Rules kicking is your main method of scoring (rushed behinds add stuff all), so if people get used to the kicking meter then they will hardly miss.

[/rant]

Kicking for goal in all computer games tend to be quite easy. The only difference between Madden and AFL games is the frequency of kicks for goal.

Extra Point kicks in Madden are always going to be easy, because they're so close to the goals. Field goals are more challenging because they're further away, and the frequency of them is low. (well certainly lower then on AFL Live)

I think it's also relevant to take into consideration that this might be one of the areas that Big Ant may look to refine depending on what gameplayers statistics say. If they see alot of online gameplay whereby the scores reflect users finding the current method of goal kicking too easy, then it will warrant attention.

Question for people who have played the game

Is there any accuracy gauge when kicking or is the only way you can shank a kick is by powering too hard?

When on the run kicking power is crucial. There is a power bar and you don't want to fill it over 90% or so (it has a red region) because you will likely shank the kick. You can dob them from 50 when filling the bar just before it though. It's a bit harder with torpedos.

For set shots there is a power bar but you are not penalised in the same way for filling it up more. More power = more arc but you can just compensate for that. I've never seen any shanked set shot kicks, just inaccurate ones.

Ross, was there ever a consideration to penalise set shot kicks in the same was as running kicks? I know you are big against metres but it's already there and is there in a slightly different form for running kicks.

A fair few people have mentioned NBA 2k11 timing here and I, being the big fan of the NBA 2k games that I am, I have a few ideas of my own when it comes to implementing some of their stuff in an AFL game. I'm going to save them though for the big review I plan on writing after the game comes out :p

I'm also slightly in agreement with people saying that the arcs are are a bit too exaggerated. While there are some exceptions like Franklin, I think most players are reasonably straight runups and only revert to a massive arc when ~50 out. Lynden Dunn and Brad Green are two examples that come to mind here. I do realise though that certain liberties have to be taken when it comes to making a video game mechanic that is fun, responsive, challenging and metre-free.

All I'm trying to say is players who are better at kicking for goal should be able to do it with less swing regardless of position. Alan Didak should be a better kick for goal on the boundary with less swing than Kurt Tippet.

All I'm trying to say is players who are better at kicking for goal should be able to do it with less swing regardless of position. Alan Didak should be a better kick for goal on the boundary with less swing than Kurt Tippet.

I agree, If youve got lindsay gilbee lining up from 30 out directly infront, the fact that you cant kick the goal without it swinging is a bit silly. He'd kick that in his sleep straight through the middle.

There should be some sort or accuracy or timing system. maybe something to look into with the next one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back