AFL LIVE 2011 - 360, PS3 & PC - Part - 27

Remove this Banner Ad

The game was "terrible" relative to what, exactly; all the other AFL games out there? A dirty, half rotten piece of bread would be terrible for us, but a God-send for a starving person in a developing country.

You're trying to compare the AFL game to an EA/2K title, which simply isn't fair. Not only have those two studios had several years to iron out any difficulties in their series of sports games (which have had many, many terrible titles), but they've been able to do so with a much bigger team and with a budget at their disposal that makes BigAnt's budget look absolutely laughable.

Something can only be "terrible" when there are several things in a similar situation that are clearly much better than it. I do not see any other AFL games out there, which would be much harder to code than Soccer/Basketball/Gridiron, and not only that, but I do not see any other new series of official, hardcore sports titles being developed on a shoe-string budget.
I see your point. But you cannot tell me it's a good PS3/XBOX game. I played the shit out of it simple because it was an AFL game but it was terrible as a game.

I see your point. But you cannot tell me it's a good PS3/XBOX game. I played the shit out of it simple because it was an AFL game but it was terrible as a game.
You're right; there are plenty of games that are better than it, but there are also plenty of games that are much, much worse. You must consider the circumstances surrounding the production of a game when trying to consider it's worth. Sure, there are plenty of flaws - I'm not going to deny that. But this game serves as an excellent foundation for the future, and provided that the publishers see these games as a viable investment, it should grow and develop into something of very high quality.

It will take some time to reach the standard of EA/2K sports games (especially given the difference in budgets), so we really need to stick by the franchise and support it - it'll encourage the publishers to keep the funding going, and allow the games to reach their full potential. This means buying the first few instalments knowing full well that it is going to have some annoying issues. But, hell, it's an AFL game! It would have to be absolutely atrocious for me not to buy it!

It was certainly not a terrible ps3/360 game. Personally it was my sports game of 2011 as it was a terrific first entry in a sports franchise and when you've got a game like nba 2k which is a terrific franchise but you know your budget is too big when you have Justin bieber and a shoe editor as your new features. As far as I'm concerned anyone who says this game is terribly bad is not enough of an AFL fan to realize what terrific representation this game is and what huge potential it has for the sequel later this year and into the future of the franchise. It's the 25th aniversary of madden this year and I hope that in 23 years we'll be celebrating a similar milestone for AFL games with big ant at the helm.

i really like it, its not the panacea, or feature competitive with EA's stuff, but its a mechanically fun, free flowing afl game, and that is something.

I'm not what you'd call a gamer. I dabble here and there but definitely not hardcore. I've played plenty of other titles and find a lot of them unintuitive, repetitive and by the numbers boring.

My experience with AFL games is vast. I've played pretty much every release since Aussie Rules Footy on the NES. I've played virtually all PC and console versions (AFL 2005 on PC the only title I have not experienced).

So I am crowning myself as the best judge of this game and it is BY FAR the best AFL title ever released (for the record, AFL Premiership Edition was the best until this game).

Every AFL game has been easy against the AI because the game itself is unique. There's no goalie to stop you from scoring. There's no alternating shot attempts like basketball games. AFL is a high scoring, free flowing game and it is just natural that gamers find the little things here and there that make it easy. Once you know the tricks in such a game, you inevitably will find it too easy.

It's also why multiplayer against a similarly skilled opponent is challenging and fun, and also why it can be frustrating. I am willing to bet that those who are good at the game are using all the tricks they know. Sure, they may draw the line on some things, like excessive bumping (although I doubt a lot of the complainers do). But you all know you want to win every game and you're using all your knowledge to win.

Unfortunately, the AI won't possibly match up to that.

Now I will admit there are AI flaws. No doubt. It's a complicated game to make the AI intuitive to what you want it to do. Consider how many AFL games there have been. Compare that to FIFA. Then look at how many different companies have made each game. Aussie rules is a complex sport to translate to a video game and there simply is never going to be the money, developer stability and market to match what FIFA can do with, essentially, a much simpler sport to translate.

People need to get off their high horses and, if you truly love the sport, support the titles that do get released and appreciate them for what they are. And if you seriously would rather NO AFL games, you'd be a sad, sad person. I seriously do not get these people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone up for a game on the 360? i just started playing this again today after probably a year...footys back! haha Gamertag is Carusiii

I have the DLC btw

Hi all, with the season starting soon, I've been getting back into AFL Live.

Online sucks these days but there are still some 'gentleman of the game'.

Never been in a league before, keen to be in a good one. Figured the best way is to run it myself.

This will be good and I am committed to seeing it through.

The league will have set rules and guidelines managed through Facebook, mainly because it's the easiest way to update stuff. You can create an alternate username to protect you're real identity if you wish.

Page URL - https://www.facebook.com/AFL2013onlineLeagueAdmin

It's first in best dressed, one player to a team. So 18 players. Only team taken so far is Essendon (me).

Only serious players welcome.. this will be pretty realistic in the way it's presented.

Please read the rules and policies document when you visit the site.

Hope to see some of you there.

I finally got this game last week. Lots of fun and did the 2012 update. I'm now going through doing the update to the 2013 roster. Except I haven't done the rookies yet.

One thing that grinds my gears with the update is the whole breach salary cap thing. It means you have to nerf say Collingwood since they can't fit all the new players.

Also means I can't muck around much with custom teams or doing my own thing like adding Ablett back to the Cats. I understand it's not a good thing for online which is fine. But against the computer I should be able to play anyway I want. Anyway still a good game.

I wonder if developers get in trouble if one of their staff anonymously break the non-disclosure agreement by leaking information to the public, or if they can't do anything about it unless they find who is responsible. Just a random thought, because it would sure be nice to hear SOMETHING about AFLL2!

I believe I'm worse off for having heard about/seen all the teams getting their photos taken to be implemented into the game; knowing that it's out there but not being told anything is really frustrating. Almost every publisher in the gaming industry is at least somewhat open about their titles that are currently being developed. Tru Blu, on the other hand, keep everything under wraps as if it were the Manhattan Project! I mean, it's not like you need to reveal trade secrets or anything, and even then, there isn't a ravaging pack of competing developers waiting to steal information regarding an AFL game.

/semi-rant

I wonder if developers get in trouble if one of their staff anonymously break the non-disclosure agreement by leaking information to the public, or if they can't do anything about it unless they find who is responsible.

I'm pretty sure Big Ant would cop it pretty bad. The company signs the agreement so the company would be responsible for anyone leaking anything, regardless or whether or not it's anonymous. I don't know what the penalty is but i'd bet it's pretty steep.

We won't see AFL Live until after the Cricket game is out. I think that's where most of their resources are being used right now

I'm desperately hoping you're wrong, but this is looking more and more like it is the case. Although, looking at how Tru Blu run things, I wouldn't be surprised if in the event the game is finished around September, they delay it due to being too late in the season to be profitable and/or too close to the release of the next-gen consoles.

They need to replace whoever runs Tru Blu with a man and a magic 8-ball; maybe that way they might get some things done right.

They need to replace whoever runs Tru Blu with a man and a magic 8-ball; maybe that way they might get some things done right.

Maybe they already have but it just keeps coming up "Ask again later."

Is somebody going to takeover Big Ant Studios? Heard they were insolvent.
I might go into computer science in a couple of years and the console developing studios are seemingly slim in Australia.
If only we had a bigger audience, guess it would be good to have a more international reception of the game.

Big Ant still punching according to Ross. I imagine if / when Tru Blu release some screen grabs of their next games a lot of the talk will go away. Not holding my breath on this one though - doesn't appear to be Tru blu policy.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL LIVE 2011 - 360, PS3 & PC - Part - 27

Remove this Banner Ad

Back