AFL Live 2012/13 Wishlist Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone asked tru blu games on twitter a few weeks back whether there would be a AFL 2012 this year and all they would say is "we are not at liberty to discuss this at this time"

Read into that what you will but it sounds to me like there might be.

Look to be honest so many of the suggestions posted on here are rippers but as someone else posted they probably don't have the money for a complete overhaul.

However these are a few of the things i would like to see tightened/ added for the upcoming game. (yes i believe there will be one)

Better handballing. Whether it's a lock on or just a fairer adjustment when handballing in a players direction that it goes to him or very close to him.

A few more collision and marking animations would be nice too as well as a few more player celebrations. Player kicks an awesome goal and a few team mates come over for the high five or bum slap. Finger to the crowd.

Add on to rather than completely delete old commentary. The more commentary the better, yes there will always be a B.T comment that is out of place but i can live with that. Add a boundary commentator that gets updates from the coaches, bench. etc etc

Crowd noises maxed up with maybe club chants and a few different signs and club merchandise in the stands. I dont expect the crowds to be too graphical but add some life to the stands with simple things like this and the atmosphere will be much improved.

More songs. The logical choice here would be the clubs theme songs. I could listen to these every day. Please take out that ****ing holy grail song. Sooo sick of it. Almost as bad as "better feel good" that damn jamaican song in the cricket game a few years back that was on loop over and over. Never has starting a game been so painful.

Inclusion of polish. Video intros, stats after the game and for regular season, Like who's leading the coleman, brownlow race, rising star, club stats, kicking handballing etc... such little implements really add to the experience after each game instead of jumping straight into the next game over and over.

Franchise mode and draft. This is a hard one but they need to make sure it wasn't like afl games of old that tried this where i could trade a bum from my team for a star from another. Add a star basis for each player depending on age and current stats and if they don't line up in a trade then no soup for you. Its hard to make perfect as even NBA2K12 is pretty dodgy when it comes to trading but something is better than nothing.

Draft. Always one of my favourite parts of NBA2K games and when i can't be bothered playing a manager mode. Doesn't have to be too flashy.

I would love a my player contribution but that would take up a fair bit of their time so maybe not this year.

As you can see most of my contributions or suggestions are more polish based than gameplay. (but it aint broke so dont fix it, just add a coat of paint and a tuneup)

While i expect they will tighten up a game in certain areas most of what i have suggested is cosmetic but would make the game a more rewarding experience.

Big Ant and Tru Blue did indicate to us last year that it was pretty bare in regards to these things and they were mostly concentrating on gameplay physics, the engine and tactics. Overall i was bloody thrilled with what they were able to accomplish and thought it held the spirit of the game in high esteem. However as i'm sure some of you will agree over time it became rather stale. That had little to do with gameplay and more with the things mentioned above.

I'm sure they will add much more to the experience this year and i will be more than happy to go out and buy it again and again if they can add to the overall feeling of it each time.

Someone asked tru blu games on twitter a few weeks back whether there would be a AFL 2012 this year and all they would say is "we are not at liberty to discuss this at this time"

Personally, I doubt it.

Main reason is, Ross was talking on another thread about getting a pre-season comp going again using the old game, hoping that'd spark some more online gamers.

I see that as a bit of a sign that a new game isn't coming anytime soon.....and I doubt they'd want to release a game mid-to-late season, so we may have to wait another year.

But I may be wrong.

Personally, I doubt it.

Main reason is, Ross was talking on another thread about getting a pre-season comp going again using the old game, hoping that'd spark some more online gamers.

I see that as a bit of a sign that a new game isn't coming anytime soon.....and I doubt they'd want to release a game mid-to-late season, so we may have to wait another year.

But I may be wrong.

Whats the link to this thread you speak of.

Look to be honest so many of the suggestions posted on here are rippers but as someone else posted they probably don't have the money for a complete overhaul.

However these are a few of the things i would like to see tightened/ added for the upcoming game. (yes i believe there will be one)

Better handballing. Whether it's a lock on or just a fairer adjustment when handballing in a players direction that it goes to him or very close to him.

A few more collision and marking animations would be nice too as well as a few more player celebrations. Player kicks an awesome goal and a few team mates come over for the high five or bum slap. Finger to the crowd.

Add on to rather than completely delete old commentary. The more commentary the better, yes there will always be a B.T comment that is out of place but i can live with that. Add a boundary commentator that gets updates from the coaches, bench. etc etc

Crowd noises maxed up with maybe club chants and a few different signs and club merchandise in the stands. I dont expect the crowds to be too graphical but add some life to the stands with simple things like this and the atmosphere will be much improved.

More songs. The logical choice here would be the clubs theme songs. I could listen to these every day. Please take out that ****ing holy grail song. Sooo sick of it. Almost as bad as "better feel good" that damn jamaican song in the cricket game a few years back that was on loop over and over. Never has starting a game been so painful.

Inclusion of polish. Video intros, stats after the game and for regular season, Like who's leading the coleman, brownlow race, rising star, club stats, kicking handballing etc... such little implements really add to the experience after each game instead of jumping straight into the next game over and over.

Franchise mode and draft. This is a hard one but they need to make sure it wasn't like afl games of old that tried this where i could trade a bum from my team for a star from another. Add a star basis for each player depending on age and current stats and if they don't line up in a trade then no soup for you. Its hard to make perfect as even NBA2K12 is pretty dodgy when it comes to trading but something is better than nothing.

Draft. Always one of my favourite parts of NBA2K games and when i can't be bothered playing a manager mode. Doesn't have to be too flashy.

I would love a my player contribution but that would take up a fair bit of their time so maybe not this year.

As you can see most of my contributions or suggestions are more polish based than gameplay. (but it aint broke so dont fix it, just add a coat of paint and a tuneup)

While i expect they will tighten up a game in certain areas most of what i have suggested is cosmetic but would make the game a more rewarding experience.

Big Ant and Tru Blue did indicate to us last year that it was pretty bare in regards to these things and they were mostly concentrating on gameplay physics, the engine and tactics. Overall i was bloody thrilled with what they were able to accomplish and thought it held the spirit of the game in high esteem. However as i'm sure some of you will agree over time it became rather stale. That had little to do with gameplay and more with the things mentioned above.

I'm sure they will add much more to the experience this year and i will be more than happy to go out and buy it again and again if they can add to the overall feeling of it each time.

Like this idea. :thumbsu:

Also, like people have said with realistic scores for length of quarters. If I played 20min qtrs I kick like 100 goals!

I also find my team always dominates the league in tackling. I actually think tackling should be made a bit harder, for you and the AI team.

Obviously i have some time on my hands on a sunday night. Anyway i've come up with a list of stuff i'd like to see in either the next game or in future games. Would love to hear what you guys have to say about these ideas and hopefully Ross and the guys at Big Ant will get something of use from this.
- Harder Difficulty
This game is too easy against the AI. It’s getting to the point where I can smash Collingwood or Geelong using Port Adelaide or Gold Coast. It makes the game fairly boring especially during the offseason when there is hardly anyone online.
-Separate saves
Okay I understand why this might have been done but personally I would much rather have my save games spate from each other. For example I would have one season where I would make real trades such as Zac Dawson from saints to freo and then I’d have another save game which would have random trades such as Chris Judd going back to West Coast.
-Career Mode
Must have for next game and it has to be in depth. Wicked witch did a pretty good job of it in their Wii and iPhone game but I wouldn’t want to see an almost exact copy. I would like to see the career mode have you playing as the coach but with the option of playing the games like you normally would. I reckon it’d be pretty good if you could use the same player creator to create yourself as a coach so then at least we can have some cutscenes of coaches in the box and at breaks speaking to their players even if it is only in career mode and also maybe the possibility of press conferences like the ones seen in NBA 2k11 my player mode. As many others have said it would be great if leagues such as WAFL, SANFL, VFL etc. could be included so you could either start as coach of one of these leagues and work your way up or start at AFL level. The career mode should have the possibility of you being sacked or being handed offers from other clubs. Of course there should also be trading and drafting but it has to be better than the system seen in IR Gurus games.
-Custom Content
It’s great to finally have team creator in an AFL game unfortunately we have the typical idiots who abuse the feature to cheat. While I personally would like to have custom teams available online as it adds more variety to the available teams but I don’t really see a solution to the problem as there will always be the idiots who abuse it. One thing I am sure of however is that custom teams must remain available in offline play and that’s where the issues with the current team creator come in. Firstly the fact that you have to have 40 players on your team before you can use them is ridiculous and this should be taken down to a minimum of 22. Next the logo designs while not bad designs there just needs to be more of them and we need the ability to recolour the logos. Maybe a logo designer could be possible. Guernseys were a bit of a disaster surely in 2011 we should be able to recolour every design to suit what we want. I think the game needs a much more in depth Guernsey designer which I think should be inspired by the design creator in Guitar Hero World Tour. Basically this creator used shapes which could be stretch either in length or width and which could also be recoloured. I reckon this system would make it easy for anyone to create great looking Guernseys and would also give self proclaimed Guernsey designers the chance to show off their designs and bring them to life somewhat. A stadium creator or stadium editor would also be pretty cool although I don’t expect that to make it into the series for awhile. Also maybe a mode where you can create your own fixtures obviously abiding by fixture rules.
-Better Presentation
Another area where this game lacked severely. While I thought things like the menus were great the rest was pretty sub standard. In terms of during matches there needs to be more cutscenes so we can see the player models close up, shots of the teams being lead out of the race by their captain with the team song playing as they break through the banner, shots of the teams gathering at qtr time huddles and going into the rooms at half time and of course shots of the team celebrating a victory . It would also be great to see stuff like scores from others games being played at the same time as your game and the commentators referring to this. The commentary is also pretty bad. I would like to see Big Ant try having a range of commentators and having them change for different games. For example you could have Dennis Cometti, BT and Bruce McAvaney with Matthew Richardson on boundary one game and then next game have Dennis Cometti, Leigh Matthews and Luke Darcy with Glen Jackovich on boundary. While this would be a lot of work I think it would still flow well and would mean something new and refreshing in each match. Finally graphics also need an update just to make it look more real and less like a video game. Things like dirt on Guernseys and Guernseys blowing in the wind. Also lets see a twilight game time, surprised it’s not in their considering so many games were played in the evening last season.
-Guernseys
There’s got to be more Guernseys in the game, so I went through and named the Guernseys i want to be in the next game
Adelaide: 2009 away Guernsey
Brisbane: 1997-2009 Home Guernsey
Carlton: 2007-2010 clash Guernsey
Collingwood: 2011 North Melbourne Guernsey
Essendon: 2007-2009 clash Guernsey
Fremantle: 1995-2010 Home Guernsey( seriously we had this Guernsey for 15 years and it’s not given as our heritage Guernsey in this game in fact the white clash from pre 2011 seems like a weird choice for our heritage Guernsey)
Geelong: 2010 150 years Guernsey
Gold Coast: Maybe a TAC cup Guernsey not really many to chose from
GWS: Again nothing much to choose from but possibly the blue Guernsey they had for awhile
Hawthorn: 2010/11 Kokoda Guernsey
Melbourne: 2010 clash Guernsey
North Melbourne: 2005 clash Guernsey
Port Adelaide: 1997-2009 Home Guernsey
Richmond: 2012 pre season Guernsey
St. Kilda: 2011/12 pre season clash Guernsey
Sydney: 2011 QBE Guernsey
West Coast: 1987 home Guernsey
Western Bulldogs: 2005 away Guernsey

Fremantle: 1995-2010 Home Guernsey( seriously we had this Guernsey for 15 years and it’s not given as our heritage Guernsey in this game in fact the white clash from pre 2011 seems like a weird choice for our heritage Guernsey)

That still baffles me to this day, surely the traditional jumper was a better choice than the white guernsey, which for some weird reason has purple shorts. Whoever was in charge of Freo's jumpers missed the mark by a long way.

The HSBC logo on the hawks jumper wouldn't hurt!

Plus etihads roof shouldnt always be closed, and the crowd isnt capacity for every single game

The HSBC logo on the hawks jumper wouldn't hurt!

Plus etihads roof shouldnt always be closed, and the crowd isnt capacity for every single game

Early screenshots of Buddy had the HSBC logo on... I am friends with guys at HSBC (their Collins Street Melbourne branch is in our building) and they wanted it.... licensing issues meant we were asked to remove it.

There's a lot more to making the game than just making the game :)

Be a pro mode definately!! all i do these days is play 'my player' on nba 2k12 and pro clubs on fifa 12, i am a die hard afl fan like others here and i would love the option to play my player or be a pro on my own countries game, whether it be single player only for now or online.

I think the game needs a much more in depth Guernsey designer which I think should be inspired by the design creator in Guitar Hero World Tour. Basically this creator used shapes which could be stretch either in length or width and which could also be recoloured. I reckon this system would make it easy for anyone to create great looking Guernseys and would also give self proclaimed Guernsey designers the chance to show off their designs and bring them to life somewhat.

100% behind this. I actually thought of the same source as a great example of a well-made logo designer, it worked very well.

Guernseys were a bit of a disaster surely in 2011 we should be able to recolour every design to suit what we want. I think the game needs a much more in depth Guernsey designer which I think should be inspired by the design creator in Guitar Hero World Tour. Basically this creator used shapes which could be stretch either in length or width and which could also be recoloured. I reckon this system would make it easy for anyone to create great looking Guernseys and would also give self proclaimed Guernsey designers the chance to show off their designs and bring them to life somewhat.

Personally, i'd be happy with just all the basic designs, but with the ability to colour them in any way we choose. Including designs that may not be around right now, like the Eagle's wings, or Footscray's big hoop with 2 little hoops.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No 2v1 3v1 4v1 games. It's really not fun when a 5 star team is just blocking everyone of your players and you cant really do anything. Alternatively, allow online players to pair up then you will have more 2 v2 matches. As it stands multiple players against one player is a ridiculous disadvantage and a chore.

Is there any chance any of the money the Victorian government is giving you will be put towards any future AFL/Rugby League titles, Ross?

Is there any chance any of the money the Victorian government is giving you will be put towards any future AFL/Rugby League titles, Ross?

I wish they were giving us money :)

The money spoken of is a loan for part of our Sprint Cars project.

I know AFL Live 2011 hasn't even been out a month but this will really help Ross and his team.

Career and Be A Pro Mode:

An obvious one but a career mode with trading and drafts is a must, also be a pro mode would be awesome.

Crowd Noise:

Crowd noise needs to be realistic, a Collingwood v Carlton game should have better atmosphere than a North v Freo game, a game at Subiaco should have huge support from the home team compared to hardly any from the travelling team and a finals game should sound louder than a home and away game.

Improved Graphics:

While the graphics for AFL Live 2011 weren't bad they could definitely use an upgrade.

More Menu Music:

We definitely need more than 2 songs for AFL Live 2012/13.

AI Bumping and Shepherding For You

It would be great if when you got the ball the AI would shepherd for you to give you some space.

Post your wishlist for the next AFL game.

and maybe a online season,nab cup finals or tournaments. that would be the best and be a pro and be able to see a list of online games and pick who u want to vs.

VFL, TAC Cup etc. would be good to have in the xbox and ps3, not just wii.

a my player sort of thing where you start as a dud and work your stats up in TAC cup and get drafted then play VFL/AFL.

franchise mode where you can trade, scout, recruit, draft and stuff like that, and have a training mode included? and maybe have your VFL affiliate and play some games for them if you wanted?

and also a better salary cap for created teams!

WAFL would be great

I think that the most important thing in terms of gameplay would be to increase the speed difference between the players because at the moment playing it feels kind of like an under 10's game where the is too many people surrounding the ball for anybody really to accomplish something. It needs to be more of a running game than just handball before you get tackled

Well, for starters, franchise mode. also would like for them to make it so Etihad Stadium Roof can be open! more grounds like blundstone arena, Blacktown. Maybe fantasy grounds like Visy Park, Victoria Park, VFL Park. Adelaide Oval maybe. VFL, TAC cups. Also build your own team from scratch work all the players up through TAC, make your own stadium. Also should be able to upload a logo via USB same with a theme song. I honestly would pay up to $200 for these features would be great.

Geez been a while since i came round these parts

Put the game in again after a long layoff and have to say the biggest issue is player movement, and i'm not talking about where they are on the field (although that could use some tuning too). I'm talking about how players change direction, build speed, slow down etc. There's no momentum. There's no wrong footing a player or getting them off balance.

I don't like to use the comparison because the companies are miles apart, but look at EA's Fifa to see what I'm talking about in regards to how players move around. This game is being built from the ground up, so you need to get the groundwork right first.

Get the players moving around realistically (not to be confused with aesthetics) and then go from there.

They need to figure out a way where the whole game isn't based around tackling.

Also, injury animations. I hate it when it just randomly pops up with an injury. And to add to that, show the injured body part. For example, if someone dislocates their shoulder, then show their screwed up shoulder.

I think a my player type of game mode would be awesome. It is starting to turn into a staple for all sport games, so why not have in in an AFL game? Although there are 18 people on the field, most people would choose to be a midfielder anyway. And if they don't, well that is their choice. I would love to be a ruckman or something.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Live 2012/13 Wishlist Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back