AFL Members shafted

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah, the brain surgeon who denies having chosen to pay the AFL Members rejecting the BomBombers offer. Which part(s) of the Bomboms offer swung you?

Say it again Sam, you'll start to believe it.

The joys of free speech, bully boys excepted !!
That doesn't make the slightest bit of sense.

If AFL & MCC membership were discontinued the finals at the MCG would have a lot less atmosphere.

Look at the number of general public / club members who attended the first 3 weeks of the finals...

I'd say there's a lot of diehard Cats & Pies supporters who are desperate to go to the GF, but for some reason weren't as desperate to go to the Qualifying and Preliminary Finals.

If AFL and MCC membership were discontinued then there'd be a massive drop off in club reserved seats.

Why bother paying your club $$$ for a reserved seat and guaranteed grand final ticket when you'll be able to just buy a standard membership and get ground level seating and a grand final ticket.

It is what it is, but I don't for one second believe that Collingwood would have 10,000 people happy to pay $800 for Legends memberships if ordinary membership got you into the GF.

All those whinging will be glad to know the AFL members GF allocation is always shrinking and is down to as little as 15k now (anecdotally, as they refuse to publish the figure). They only “guarantee” them to full members with club support (I believe Collingwood is the highest with about 6k, and that won’t increase as full membership is capped and perhaps being reduced), everybody else is fighting for what is now a very, very small allocation. It’s been steadily decreasing for years, starting with the 5k they took out and gave to the Medallion Club in 2000 (without publicising it of course). But no, you're not benefitting - they're going to corporates, not clubs members.

The basic problem is nobody really likes or benefits from AFL memberships except for those who hold them. The clubs don’t like them and whinge to the league about it, because if you have $500 to spend on a footy membership they’d rather you gave the lot to them in some premium package rather than the AFL taking $300 of it.

The AFL aren’t that fussed because it’s now (relatively) not a huge money spinner for them – though they’re trying to improve what they get with annual hikes in membership fees (far beyond match ticket and club membership increases) and charging full price for a GF ticket.

Noticed how you barely ever see any advertising for AFL membership? They’re just not that keen for people to sign up but don’t want the PR mess of just canning the whole thing altogether – though that’ll eventually happen when they’ve whittled it down enough and they’ll come up with some system of just transferring everyone to club memberships because it’s not that popular anymore.

Basically the AFL members have outlived their usefulness – they were needed to pay for VFL Park (just like Medallion Club is paying for Docklands on a larger scale) and have become gradually more pointless ever since.

And I’m not potting them, I’m one myself. It still can’t be beaten IF you use the full benefits and attend many neutral games. I’m sure the day will come when it’ll be discontinued, which will suck as I just love going to the footy even when my team isn’t playing. I’m not a full member however so haven’t been to the GF as an AFL member.
Then why don't you stop being an AFL Member.
Its not like its compulsory, why not just become a member of your club, it might alleviate some of your concerns.
Those of us who like to be AFL members can use the extra free space in the AFL reserve if you and those like you give up their memberships.

Go on, take the plunge

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Members shafted

Remove this Banner Ad

Back