AFL Must Suspend Steven May

Remove this Banner Ad

Really? This is what everyone here is wetting themselves over?

Worse examples of staging every week, I'm sure if Clayton Oliver got near the ball tonight you'd have seen much worse.

As a Melbourne supporter at the ground tonight reminded me, he's a premiership player and thus immune from criticism.
2 x All Australian too.
Genuine question, when was the last time North have an AA on their list?

Do AFL rules allow suspension for staging or is just a fine?

I think we all know what the punishment should be

nelson-walking-in-his-underpants-underwear.png

2 x All Australian too.
Genuine question, when was the last time North have an AA on their list?
We currently have one on our list, he was awarded about 225 days ago.

Last edited:
Suspend them all, any type of staging needs a suspension.

If this goes unpunished it will encourage and incentivise players to drive their head into the ground while being tackled or act as if their head made contact with the ground, which is what Steven May did.

This type of behavior is damaging to AFL's reputation.

Steven May, N Daicos, Ginnivan, our game is just pure shit when players flop, dish out a suspension for staging, they will stop.

AFL is not soccer.

Image is pause at the point were May's head is as close to the ground as it gets from the tackle, after this moment he thrusts his neck and head into the ground, embarrassing for him, cringe to witness.

Stamp it out.

View attachment 2027350
Dude, your actual coach celebrated staging with the Ginnivan stuff. He called it 'challenging the tackler'. He's a bloody disgrace!

These threads get ruined with consistent references to Maynard and Daicos with no basis

Stick to the Facebook comments section where the rest of the cretins post their utter shit
Before your post, not a single person even mentioned Maynard? Strange. Jumping at shadows. Fair enough there's references to N Daicos. Staging is staging, whether it's Daicos from your team or Walters from mine. Not a good look and the players responsible, quite rightly lose a bit of credibility and respect.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder what Angus Brayshaw thought of May taking the piss out of head high contact?

Suspend them all, any type of staging needs a suspension.

If this goes unpunished it will encourage and incentivise players to drive their head into the ground while being tackled or act as if their head made contact with the ground, which is what Steven May did.

This type of behavior is damaging to AFL's reputation.

Steven May, N Daicos, Ginnivan, our game is just pure shit when players flop, dish out a suspension for staging, they will stop.

AFL is not soccer.

Image is pause at the point were May's head is as close to the ground as it gets from the tackle, after this moment he thrusts his neck and head into the ground, embarrassing for him, cringe to witness.

Stamp it out.

View attachment 2027350

If players were suspended for staging Carlton wouldn’t be able to field a team.

Absolute disgrace that carlton players slam their heads into the turf after each tackle looking for a free

I am with you, I hate seeing Nicky D being a little flop, ban them all for any staging.

Our game is becoming more and more like soccer, that game is boring af, players just kick back and forth until they have a chance to flop for a free, disgusting 'sport'.

Ban them all, stamp it out, but this Steven May act was seriously like wtf that's messed up, nope, not on my watch, get out.

Sorry to tell you that it’s not soccer that is your problem, it’s the Aussie Rules coaches and the money and the rules. If Aussie Rules was so special then it wouldn’t change. But its rules and interpretations change every year (or even less).

The more money you bring into the game, the more players are going to do this sort of stuff to gain an advantage. AFL is just catching up.

The umpire should be dropped for allowing the tackle to linger as long as it did. The ‘new holding the ball’ interpretation lasted about 3 games and we’re back to this shit show of players being swung to the ground because the umpire gives them an entire quarter to dispose of the football.

May’s flop was just the cherry on top.

Fans need to realise milking a free kick is a skill. It's the same as taking a contested mark. You get the same outcome afterwards.
Regardless of the result of the game, I disagree with staging for head injuries. Yes, milking a free for a push in the back from a marking contest may be part of the "skill" of the game, but the very rules brought in to protect the wellbeing of players from concussion/long term brain damage should be treated a bit differently, and not be used for a tactical advantage.

Just like when players lead with their head by ducking into a tackle - they are putting themselves at risk, and shouldn't be rewarded to continue to do so with a head high free kick.

It's also stupid to think May should be suspended for staging. At worst, a fine, but it really doesn't matter once the game is over - probably helps more if the AFLPA sends all players a message saying don't abuse what's been brought in to protect you.

The bigger issue is the umpires paid about 1 HTB for the first 3/4 of the game. The umpire has actually contributed to increasing the risk to the player, by not calling HTB or a ballup earlier. If the AFL is serious about preventing head injuries, just like they suspend a player (like Dangerwood), they should apply the same to the umpires.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Must Suspend Steven May

Remove this Banner Ad

Back