AFL Must Suspend Steven May

Remove this Banner Ad

Fords head actually hits the ground with more force / recoil then mays šŸ˜‚
This is the point though.

May did nothing to engineer a dangerous tackle. He didn't accentuate the tackle into a slinging motion like so many other players do.

What he did was move his head closer to the ground as he landed (reasonably soflt). Sure he made it look worse than it was at the end but the tackle itself would have been the same action regardless.

I don't think his initial MO was to milk a free from the tackle like a lot of other players but more a last second bit of mayo so as not to be pinged holding the ball.
It was a double swing tackle, no whistle, we often see players get pinged in those situations.

We can label it staging but I've seen much much worse.

The 'Sam Walsh maneuver' as we call it.
Just to clarify,

If Patrick Dangerfield has hold of both your arms and tackles you forward, what part of your body is supposed to hit the ground?

If he reared his head back it wouldā€™ve whipped into the ground just as hard when the rest of his body went down.

What qualifies as staging? As long as there are free kicks players will bend rules exaggerate contact flop drop knees etc.
What determines what's staging what's playing for the free?
Should we suspend players who call touched when it isn't?

I would have thought a Kangaroo supporter would realise that contracts mean very little, given Horne Francis ran out of the place before he'd even been assigned a locker.

Fairly sure holding a North Melbourne player to their contract is some kind of human rights violation anyway.
Like Melbourne Supporters and Clarryā€™s long term deal - that is outright abuse

This is the point though.

May did nothing to engineer a dangerous tackle. He didn't accentuate the tackle into a slinging motion like so many other players do.

What he did was move his head closer to the ground as he landed (reasonably soflt). Sure he made it look worse than it was at the end but the tackle itself would have been the same action regardless.

I don't think his initial MO was to milk a free from the tackle like a lot of other players but more a last second bit of mayo so as not to be pinged holding the ball.
It was a double swing tackle, no whistle, we often see players get pinged in those situations.

We can label it staging but I've seen much much worse.
Ironically it was a sling and I reckon a free kick. Where the staging comes in is fortunately May landed on his arm and shoulder (north bloke was looking at 3 weeks otherwise) but he gently put his head on the grass and rubbed it.
So yeah bad look but no different to a guy been tackled round the shoulder than throwing their head back like whiplash

What qualifies as staging? As long as there are free kicks players will bend rules exaggerate contact flop drop knees etc.
What determines what's staging what's playing for the free?
Should we suspend players who call touched when it isn't?
Bingo.

If the game wasn't as close last night in latter stages and perhaps a different player to May, no way we get this over reaction.

May essentially suckered the umpire with a head high, no different to players dropping the knees. Happens every ****ing game.

At no point did he engineer a dangerous sling tackle which is what the AFL is trying to stamp out of the game.

Fining May after everything that goes on in the game is ****ing ridiculous.

lol he pretended his head hit the ground when it didn't. He should have been made to do a concussion test, that would stop players trying to manipulate free kicks in that situation

Like Melbourne Supporters and Clarryā€™s long term deal - that is outright abuse
Melbourne supporters don't have anything to do with Clarry's deal mate.
Fat Ginger's definitely abusing the club right now though, I'll give you that.

Edit: come to think of it he's really insulting the whole sport with his impersonation of a footballer. Horrible stuff, again much worse than anything May's doing.

lol he pretended his head hit the ground when it didn't. He should have been made to do a concussion test, that would stop players trying to manipulate free kicks in that situation
His head made light contact to the ground because he pointed his head that way at the very last moment. Clearly to avoid HTB.

Umpire was in poor position and assumed it was a sling/dangerous tackle.

We gona fine players for rubbing their heads now?

Premiership champion Steven ā€˜played with a torn hammyā€™ May just exploited the AFLā€™s own incompetence whilst giving Larkey a bath. Legend status elevated a little more last night.

His head made light contact to the ground because he pointed his head that way at the very last moment. Clearly to avoid HTB.

Umpire was in poor position and assumed it was a sling/dangerous tackle.

We gona fine players for rubbing their heads now?

No idea why you're trying to pretend it was anything other than blatant staging

I'm clearly not.

I'm simply pointing out that the reaction has been over the top. This pariah mentality and calls for a fine as if this stuff doesn't happen constantly.

I can tell you why - because it's a player from the team he supports. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suspend them all, any type of staging needs a suspension.

If this goes unpunished it will encourage and incentivise players to drive their head into the ground while being tackled or act as if their head made contact with the ground, which is what Steven May did.

This type of behavior is damaging to AFL's reputation.

Steven May, N Daicos, Ginnivan, our game is just pure shit when players flop, dish out a suspension for staging, they will stop.

AFL is not soccer.

Image is pause at the point were May's head is as close to the ground as it gets from the tackle, after this moment he thrusts his neck and head into the ground, embarrassing for him, cringe to witness.

Stamp it out.

View attachment 2027350
Not sure about suspension but was weak as P1SS by the big bad faux tough guy. Surprised he never got up and had an argument with Lever or potting his team mates. For a really good player he is a really shite Fella.

Bingo.

If the game wasn't as close last night in latter stages and perhaps a different player to May, no way we get this over reaction.

May essentially suckered the umpire with a head high, no different to players dropping the knees. Happens every ****ing game.

At no point did he engineer a dangerous sling tackle which is what the AFL is trying to stamp out of the game.

Fining May after everything that goes on in the game is ****ing ridiculous.
This is not an over-reaction. May went to ground with minimal force and a half a second after his shoulders hits the ground he decides to drive his head into the turf. Then holds his head like he'd been sucker punched until the whistle is blown for the free kick. May somehow is magically healed by the whistle blowing he gets up straight away to take his kick.

This is a clear case of staging for a free as you can get.

$1,250 for an early plea. AFL slap with a feather, about the same pressure Ford applied ensuring his noggin did not hit the ground ā˜¹ļø

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Must Suspend Steven May

Remove this Banner Ad

Back