AFL MVP 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought it was the exact same system only with many of the more esoteric statistical categories hidden from the general public. Supercoach uses the official Champion Data ranking system.
Nope this system was built from the ground up a couple of years ago, follow them on twitter they give a bit of an insight. The detail in it is unbelievable.

Actually, this is the most relevant and merit-based award unlike the Brownlow. And Fyfe was the worthy winner as the best midfielder in the competition this year.
I don't understand how? It's just a popularity contest amongst the players.

Well, the list of winners looks fairly decent.

Impossible to really decide on one player anyway...
I'm not arguing that it hasn't got a decent list of winners. But if the players like a player more than another player, they are probably going to vote for said player.

Well done to the Fyfernator. Hopefully he can show Port what magic they missed out on a coupla weeks ago courtesy of the MRP circus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not arguing that it hasn't got a decent list of winners. But if the players like a player more than another player, they are probably going to vote for said player.
Umpires do that all the time. If Jelwood is awarded votes proportional to his soft free kick numbers - he'll win the Brownlow in a canter!!

Umpires can't do that either?
They could but I reckon most would actually choice who they think played best in that game. And the fact the Brownlow is judged upon every game of the season rather than a 3-2-1 done players at the end of the season, just gives it a bit more relevancy.

Last edited:
They could but I reckon most would actually choice who they think played best in that game. And the fact the Brownlow is judged upon every game of the season rather than a 3-2-1 don$e players at the end of the season, just gives it a bit more relevancy.

I'd hope Umpires are impartial and vote 3,2,1 for the best on the day. Wouldn't be surprised if they had favourites but.
I agree the brownlow is the most prestigious but.

They could but I reckon most would actually choice who they think played best in that game. And the fact the Brownlow is judged upon every game of the season rather than a 3-2-1 don$e players at the end of the season, just gives it a bit more relevancy.

You could say that the Brownlow and Coaches' Award are biased towards more durable players though. Let's say the favourite (Selwood) wins the Brownlow. Him and Gray both played 22 games and won those awards when everyone knows Fyfe and Ablett have been the best two players this year, but just missed too many games. That's why I reckon the MVP is more relevant, 1st and 2nd (Fyfe and Gaz) >>>> Gray and Selwood on this year's output.

One gripe I have with the brownlow is that it's a midfield award. Umpires don't tend to notice the games of a key defender or a fwd as much as the mids

Actually, this is the most relevant and merit-based award unlike the Brownlow. And Fyfe was the worthy winner as the best midfielder in the competition this year.
So the best midfielder for any given year should automatically win the MVP?

I'd take the judgement of players who actually on the field playing the game over umpires any day.
I wouldn't. The fact that an umpire patrols the ENTIRE field and is pretty much involved in every contest, I think they would have more idea than a player that sits down one end of the field would care more about getting the ball rather than what had impacted on them getting the ball.
I'd hope Umpires are impartial and vote 3,2,1 for the best on the day. Wouldn't be surprised if they had favourites but.
I agree the brownlow is the most prestigious but.
I'd hope not and I'm sure they do have some favourites. But if one of there favourites play a couple of stinkers, they obviously won't be getting votes for that game.

Fyfe is actually incredibly important to freo, and a much deserved winner. Good Nathan
Swans minus Buddy got beaten by Richmond.
Just let that sink in then think who is more valuable to their side

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL MVP 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back