AFL MVP 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed, I'd say the majority of footballers aren't die hard football supporters and would maybe watch 1 match each weekend. Most are just too preoccupied with their own club and their social lives (understandably) to form an educated opinion about the rest of the competition.
Exactly. Chad Wingard said himself he doesn't watch any footy beside the game he plays in. I'm sure plenty of others have said the same.
Nice walk down memory lane here:

I hope you know I'm not having a dig at Fyfe winning. I thought either him or Ablett were the most deserving out of the lot. Just don't like how the voting system works and is run.

Most players don't watch a lot of footy other than replays for training purposes etc....... but they still play against each other and I reckon the players have a good understanding of who is a gun and who isn't regardless of media hype

Yes there will be times that a player will get votes where they probably shouldn't have but the umpires have a completely different perspective than that of spectators. They don't use stats to judge their votes, they just call it how the see it.

Umpires do use stats now, they starting using stats around the same time it changed to be a midfielders medal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. Fyfe is a great winner, but I reckon a lot of the voting is based on the general media/talk of who is the best. Players dont watch 9 games a week analysing who was the best player. Most wouldnt watch other teams outside of their opposition analysis clips.

There is the small matter that they actually play the game today against the people they vote for.

I don't think this award is any less legitimate than any other.

Umpires do use stats now, they starting using stats around the same time it changed to be a midfielders medal.
Nope they don't. Stats are available to them but they don't use them.

Surely it should have been Ablett...?

Fyfe worthy winner and that, but Gold Coats collapsed when he wasn't there.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL MVP 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back