AFL-NRL War Update - NRL Bid Team to Fly as the Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think it will be based in Ipswich, they were saying in the article that they want the headquarters to be in Albion, in Brisbane city.

I assumed there would be an Amberley link if they were going with Bombers, so now it's back to making no sense at all.

I will take rugby league much more seriously (still enjoy it) when the NRL starts giving a shit about the game outside NSW/QLD below the NRL level. At the moment it's a joke. Basketball, soccer, cricket are streets ahead of them in terms of lower level and lower age participation. However their top league teams aren't that successful in terms of finances and attendances (save for Melbourne Victory) unlike Storm. If they would put serious time and money into putting rugby league into schools they would be laughing.

They build from the top down, rather from the bottom up. As much as we all hate Demetriou he has got a hell of a lot of things right. Operations wise, him and Anderson are ****ing it up, but expansion wise Andy D has got the structure right (although that's arguably the efforts of people who previously filled his position).

Hahaha, those NRL knuckle-draggers have received too many whacks to the head. Of all the nicknames you could choose, fancy naming yourself as the Bombers. If Essendon could change one thing about their club, it would be their terrible nickname. Not much better than their previous nic, the Blood-Stained N******. Essendon fans would never admit this, but deep down, they would prefer their club wasn't historically tied to such distasteful branding.

Bombers are instruments of war. They kill people. They blow the arms, legs and heads off innocent civilians. Seems stupid to name a football team after this simply because people think it sounds "tough". What if market research indicated that people would buy merchandise of a team called the Killers? Or how about the Brisbane Bandidos. That would be cool sounding. Real outlaw.

Morons!

Hahaha, those NRL knuckle-draggers have received too many whacks to the head. Of all the nicknames you could choose, fancy naming yourself as the Bombers. If Essendon could change one thing about their club, it would be their terrible nickname. Not much better than their previous nic, the Blood-Stained N******. Essendon fans would never admit this, but deep down, they would prefer their club wasn't historically tied to such distasteful branding.

Bombers are instruments of war. They kill people. They blow the arms, legs and heads off innocent civilians. Seems stupid to name a football team after this simply because people think it sounds "tough". What if market research indicated that people would buy merchandise of a team called the Killers? Or how about the Brisbane Bandidos. That would be cool sounding. Real outlaw.

Morons!

Blow it out ya arse Chewy. Least we weren't called the Mayblooms ;)

They build from the top down, rather from the bottom up. As much as we all hate Demetriou he has got a hell of a lot of things right. Operations wise, him and Anderson are ****ing it up, but expansion wise Andy D has got the structure right (although that's arguably the efforts of people who previously filled his position).

Agreed. Similar with the media. We love to hate a few journos out there...but they're no where as bad as the RL bias ones.
----
Are they going to replace the "National" from NRL anytime soon? They'll probaley add this 2nd Brisbane team which no-one will support because everyone is Brisbane already has their team (Broncos) and the Central Coast Bears. Thats 17 teams in Australia. Just ONE of those outside NSW/ACT/QLD (So just one outside RL territory), the Melbourne Storm. However it is in the sporting capital, so it a no brainer why it's going okay.

Joke of a sport

Blow it out ya arse Chewy. Least we weren't called the Mayblooms ;)
Mayblooms is a fairly apt description of Essendon in 2011. More accurate than the Bombers. The only thing that Essendon have blown apart this year is their budget, paying the wages of Knights, Hird, Thompson, McCartney, Goodwin and Wellman.

Your club's tough sounding nickname doesn't really fool anyone. Bit like when Michael Jackson pulled his angry face and sang "Bad" in his high-pitched voice.

Mayblooms is a fairly apt description of Essendon in 2011. More accurate than the Bombers. The only thing that Essendon have blown apart this year is their budget, paying the wages of Knights, Hird, Thompson, McCartney, Goodwin and Wellman.

Your club's tough sounding nickname doesn't really fool anyone. Bit like when Michael Jackson pulled his angry face and sang "Bad" in his high-pitched voice.

:D Not bad.

The NRL exists to provide cheap content to Rupert's empire.

The sad truth is that they are just as happy serving up column inches describing a fantastic game, as they are talking about players (and their dogs) behaving badly.

Until they remove the stain of Murdoch completely (and the IC is only a partial solution) then they cannot be taken seriously.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Essendon could change one thing about their club, it would be their terrible nickname.

Yawn. The name dates back to the 40s and refers to Windy Hill's proximity to Essendon airport. Plenty of sporting clubs have warlike nicknames: Crusaders, Warriors, Raiders, Rebels etc. No reason why any of them should give in to political correctness and change it.

Two things:
1. There is an enormously untapped market up here of league fans who hate the Broncos.
2. It genuinely astounds me that these topics attract comments like "can't wait for that shit sport to go bankrupt". why? so you can say the sport you "support" is the "winner"? if you don't like league, and I don't, then just don't bloody watch it. why do you want it to fail and take away the enjoyment hundreds of thousands get from it every week? its so petty

When in the past 20 years have the thugby meatheads had an original idea???? Let them have whatever name they like for the new Brisbane team. "National" (sic) Rugby League LOL More of just the same old NSW/QLD comp.:D

Two things:
1. There is an enormously untapped market up here of league fans who hate the Broncos.
2. It genuinely astounds me that these topics attract comments like "can't wait for that shit sport to go bankrupt". why? so you can say the sport you "support" is the "winner"? if you don't like league, and I don't, then just don't bloody watch it. why do you want it to fail and take away the enjoyment hundreds of thousands get from it every week? its so petty
Genuinely curious as to the reasoning why this is the case.

Why are hawks fans so bitter about essendon:confused:

We've beaten them in more Grand Finals than they have beaten us/Lance Franklin can dish it out but Hawthorn can't take it etc. etc.

A) No idea why people are bothering to rag on Essendon's nickname. I have never heard anyone rag on it before this thread, legit.

B) "Brisbane Bombers" is a cheap cash-in on an already established name, but GWS is designed to mimic Wests Tigers, so whatever, easy (albeit unoriginal) marketing ploy.

C) Couldn't care if they use the name, team/league will be dead by 2020 anyway.

I live in Logan, a rapidly growing region about 30 minutes from Brisbane, and I think there's definitely a market for another NRL team in the area, not to mention the Ipswich/Springfield area. It's the fastest growing region in the country apparently, and three massive master-planned communities (Yarrabilba, Flagstone and Ripley Valley) will be over the next 10 years housing anywhere from 250,000 to 1 million people by time of completion.

There's definitely potential population support, but little in the way of resources and infrastructure at this stage. Still, if the NRL had any foresight, they'd start seriously planning for another NRL team in South East Queensland by 2015, because I think they'd do very well. By then, the infrastructure should be at a stage where it could support a second team.

Not 100% certain but the Broncos do tend to hoard a lot of the junior talent around Brisbane. That and the fact that until last season they had played finals for 19 years straight and were pretty successful too

Not 100% certain but the Broncos do tend to hoard a lot of the junior talent around Brisbane. That and the fact that until last season they had played finals for 19 years straight and were pretty successful too
Ah OK so kind of the 'they're a successful club on and off the field, and everyone's on their bandwagon, so I'm going to elect to make my own choice rather than go with the majority' sort of thing?

If they become the barracudas than they already have their own sexual gesture. I can see that coming out at games

I hope Essendon buy into the consortium rather than fighting it - or at least link itself up with it.

The advantages - such as a gym and medical facility for games against Brisbane and Gold Coast could help us out even more when we play up there.

Throw in the potential for membership and sponsorship growth as well.

Exactly, nothing to lose here, but plenty to be gained!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back