AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

Sen Brisbane give the lions a lot of coverage all the time, different to sen Sydney, that covers the afl on about the same level as they do for D grade sports like badminton (thanks hutchie you turncoat).

The courier mail is little Lachlan's baby and he's almost as close to Peter v'landy's as Anthony Albanese appears to be, so I don't think they'll get a great go there. I honestly feel like the afl pays the Sydney and Brisbane papers for good coverage if their teams make the gf, so they should still get some exposure in the courier mail, through gritted teeth though.

Sen Brisbane give the lions a lot of coverage all the time, different to sen Sydney, that covers the afl on about the same level as they do for D grade sports like badminton (thanks hutchie you turncoat).

The courier mail is little Lachlan's baby and he's almost as close to Peter v'landy's as Anthony Albanese appears to be, so I don't think they'll get a great go there. I honestly feel like the afl pays the Sydney and Brisbane papers for good coverage if their teams make the gf, so they should still get some exposure in the courier mail, through gritted teeth though.
Lachlan Murdoch is a genuine Broncos fan, and their owner in all but name.

On paper News Corp are the Broncos major owners, but in reality the club is one of Lachlan's personal projects even though he's never had time to be directly involved in the day-to-day operations of the club.

He's quietly one of the most powerful men in RL as well, with most major decisions, particularly where they may directly effect the Broncos, requiring his personal approval. PVL and the NRL didn't give the Dolphins the greenlight to join the league until they had his blessings beforehand for example, and his influence was one of the major forces that got the Vegas deals over the line.

I think you're being overly conspiratorial if you think the AFL struggling for column space and airtime in Brisbane is because of him conspiring to hold Aussie Rules back though. The reality is that RL is simply more popular in Queensland than Aussie Rules, and thus attracts more clicks and sells more papers. No different than the AFL attracting more media attention than RL in Melbourne.

Rupert was another story BTW. He notoriously had zero interest in RL outside of business motives.

I think you're being overly conspiratorial if you think the AFL struggling for column space and airtime in Brisbane

Na. Simple business practice in a near monopoly situation.

The reality is that RL is simply more popular in Queensland than Aussie Rules

The gap in participation and crowds isn't enough to be excited about.

thus attracts more clicks and sells more papers.

Poor business practice. People used to read newspapers to garner information about their popular sport but other people also bought newspapers to read about their unpopular sport because that was their own only source.
From a neutral business point of view you wouldn't restrict coverage of a very popular sport that is AFL.

No different than the AFL attracting more media attention than RL in Melbourne.

There is a difference when it's not proportional.
Sydney Swans get the biggest crowds in Sydney yet their coverage was poor to non-existent at most times.
It's my experience that NRL gets a decent coverage in non-traditional states.
it gets coverage in W.A. with no NRL team or decent local league.

Lachlan Murdoch is a genuine Broncos fan, and their owner in all but name.

On paper News Corp are the Broncos major owners, but in reality the club is one of Lachlan's personal projects even though he's never had time to be directly involved in the day-to-day operations of the club.

He's quietly one of the most powerful men in RL as well, with most major decisions, particularly where they may directly effect the Broncos, requiring his personal approval. PVL and the NRL didn't give the Dolphins the greenlight to join the league until they had his blessings beforehand for example, and his influence was one of the major forces that got the Vegas deals over the line.

I think you're being overly conspiratorial if you think the AFL struggling for column space and airtime in Brisbane is because of him conspiring to hold Aussie Rules back though. The reality is that RL is simply more popular in Queensland than Aussie Rules, and thus attracts more clicks and sells more papers. No different than the AFL attracting more media attention than RL in Melbourne.

Rupert was another story BTW. He notoriously had zero interest in RL outside of business motives.

I agree with the first bit, on the second though it's very obvious the suppression tactics of news corp towards the afl in Sydney and Brisbane and the over promotion of the storm in Melbourne, who were formed by news corp themselves. This considering the swans are the biggest sporting club in Sydney by a big margin and the storm would be about the 11th biggest sporting club in Melbourne, if I'm being generous.

On another note, you can ask a number of people here about the obvious bias in foxtel and news.com.au coverage. You'll notice a subtle difference in commercials and what gets pushed to the front more and nrl always being mentioned first, despite alphabetically and popularity wise being out of synch with what it should be.

It's my experience that NRL gets a decent coverage in non-traditional states.
Your bias is glowing so bright that it's blinding...

NRL coverage outside of NSW, Qld, and the ACT is abysmal for the most part.

The Storm get alright coverage in Melbourne depending on the outlet, but other than that the coverage is patchy at best, and disproportionally focuses on scandal and controversy (i.e. negative coverage) over analysis. For the record, the reasons for bad coverage of RL outside the heartlands are easily explained without need for conspiracy as well.

It's a fact that Nine, the NRL's own broadcast partners, were airing NRL games at midnight in most of the country until very recently, within the last decade in most cases, and only changed because of contractual obligation and threats of legal action. So yeah, pretending that the NRL has had it better than the AFL in this regard is just silly frankly

Last edited:
I agree with the first bit, on the second though it's very obvious the suppression tactics of news corp towards the afl in Sydney and Brisbane and the over promotion of the storm in Melbourne, who were formed by news corp themselves. This considering the swans are the biggest sporting club in Sydney by a big margin and the storm would be about the 11th biggest sporting club in Melbourne, if I'm being generous.

On another note, you can ask a number of people here about the obvious bias in foxtel and news.com.au coverage. You'll notice a subtle difference in commercials and what gets pushed to the front more and nrl always being mentioned first, despite alphabetically and popularity wise being out of synch with what it should be.
News sold the Storm over a decade ago at this point, and owned half of the rest of the clubs in the NRL at one point. They also intentionally folded multiple of the others that they owned in the past, and actively tried to murder and/or suppress pretty much all of the teams they've never owned. . .

They also actively supressed the NRL's growth to maintain their own profit margins and underpaid for the NRL's broadcasting rights when they half owned the league.

In other words I assure you that they are an aggressively capitalist organisation who hold there own interests first and foremost, and aren't in the habit of handing out favours, especially when it could hurt their bottom line.

Hell there have been times when News have used the AFL as a means to attack the NRL in the past. Some of the short memories around here must have forgotten the "We've always preferred Aussie rules and we've always believed this is the premium code in Australia" saga, as a single example. That was a direct response to the NRL selling rights to Nine, who offered a better deal, that Foxtel expected, no, demanded, be renewed.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back