Play Nice 2024 Non AFL Crowds/Ratings and other Industry thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Ticketmaster is only showing about 1,200 tickets remaining for tomorrow’s Wallabies game at Optus Stadium. The seating chart shows the rectangular bump in seats on the west, south and east sides, but it is unclear if they were actually ever for sale, since there are currently none available, and previously I’ve seen them shown to the map but not used.

IMG_4887.png

If the rectangular bump in seats are used, we may get to see a sports crowd over 60,000. We’ve only seen it twice before, for a Bledisloe Cup match and the AFL Grand Final.

Wallabies have had some really good crowds this year. Considering the RWC failure and other issues RA has been through.

35 945 v Wales - Sydney (Allianz)
21 932 v Wales - Melbourne (AAMI)
26 139 v Georgia - Sydney (Allianz)
52 019 v Sth Africa - Brisbane (Suncorp)
58 197 v Sth Africa - Perth (Optus)

23k for a Wales v Qld game in Brisbane.

Pretty heavy rain for the Melbourne game also.

Should get around 60k for the game against the All Blacks in Sydney at Accor Stadium.

Ticketmaster is only showing about 1,200 tickets remaining for tomorrow’s Wallabies game at Optus Stadium. The seating chart shows the rectangular bump in seats on the west, south and east sides, but it is unclear if they were actually ever for sale, since there are currently none available, and previously I’ve seen them shown to the map but not used.

View attachment 2080809

If the rectangular bump in seats are used, we may get to see a sports crowd over 60,000. We’ve only seen it twice before, for a Bledisloe Cup match and the AFL Grand Final.

Wonder if the extra seats will be used for the Lions Tour match next year?

Side note Perth should have had the Lions test match instead of Brisbane. IMHO. An extra 8 or 9k in seating compared to Suncorp. Guess Qld paid more.

I don't see they got 58k because there were holes everywhere
I don't see they got 58k because that's higher than capacity without the extra seating.

Perth Stadium capacity is 61,266. In cricket mode it is reduced to about 56,000 due to the blocked off seats behind the bowlers. In rectangle mode it is about 65,000 with the extra seats. Whilst we know 61,266 exactly, the later two have never precisely been detailed.

Yeah they've barely been used for any event since it opened for that reason.
This is why I am massively against any sort of moveable rectangular configuration for the new Hobart Stadium. (or most AFL/cricket venues)

It is a waste of money as they are never used for this very reason.

This is why I am massively against any sort of moveable rectangular configuration for the new Hobart Stadium. (or most AFL/cricket venues)

It is a waste of money as they are never used for this very reason.

How many times has Marvel used the movable rectangular configuration in recent times ? I can’t recall too many.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet more government money thrown at RL for yet another NRL expansion all under the guise of "we need to counter the AFL"

There is no need for NRL expansion if it is only to counter AFL expansion.

If AFL expansion is seen as a threat then it must be doing something good
so let's invest in AFL instead of trying to fight it.

There is no need for NRL expansion if it is only to counter AFL expansion.

If AFL expansion is seen as a threat then it must be doing something good
so let's invest in AFL instead of trying to fight it.
There is no war like language coming from AFL quarters like NRL supporters and their media do.

Note the contrast in language to the new Western bears proposal to when the NRL called GWS an "invasion".

Last edited:
There is no war like language coming from AFL quarters like NRL supporters and their media do.

Note the contrast in language to the new Western bears proposal to when the NRL called GWS an "invasion".
Absolutely.
Good on them, they NRL is doing well. The Perth team will be like Melbourne. Niche fanbase, heavily subsidised, and ultimately leading to very little growth in people actually playing.

I admit, I am a bit ignorant of what is actually going on beneath the surface, so I might be way off base. But I would be interested in seeing how the two codes are going about their expansion in developing markets. (as opposed to say expansion into Tassie or Redcliffe)

As from my perspective, it seems that the AFL focus heavily on the grass roots development of a market they have their team in, setting up local initiatives to get people involved on all levels and not just watching the top tier team. It almost seems inconsequential to them how many people go to games or even watch them, at least in terms of their strategy and efforts. Whereas with the Storm, and potentially WA if they are tacking an ex Sydney team onto it, I get the feeling that the NRL don't care about anything below the top tier team, and for them its all about the eyeballs and nothing about getting people involved or community outreach, beyond just the team.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice 2024 Non AFL Crowds/Ratings and other Industry thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back