AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

it's a bit like the bumsniffer one used by people to slur people who follow Rugby league.

Not quite, it's the rugby codes in general and more light-hearted.
The other expression has died out quickly with political correctness and I'd thought a mod wouldn't mention it at all.
The only expression that annoys me is when people say "football" in mixed company or in the media.
It doesn't take much effort to put an adjective before the word or even simpler to mention the specific league
as in AFL,NRL, EPL or whatever RU is called these days.

I always thought bum sniffers was used for rugby union anyway due to the way it's played where they bury their head into the pack, you don't hear it much these days anyway due to rugby being mostly invisible.

It's a fair stretch to compare the animosity from leagiues towards AFL and the conga line of insults, to what goes back in the other direction, even the diehard leagiues posting in this thread could admit that.

I always thought bum sniffers was used for rugby union anyway due to the way it's played where they bury their head into the pack, you don't hear it much these days anyway due to rugby being mostly invisible.

Nope. League people have always been that term for the most part.
It's a fair stretch to compare the animosity from leagiues towards AFL and the conga line of insults, to what goes back in the other direction, even the diehard leagiues posting in this thread could admit that.
I’m not denying the animosity. I think it’s pretty stupid personally. If someone born into the game can become passionate about Australian football, then so can others.

As I did say though, it’s going to be a generational change which will take time.

IMO it depends where you are. WhenI came to Sydney in the 70s it was heard w.r.t. "code wars".
Outside of the rugby states it was definitely used w.r.t. scrums and it probably used with indifference
and light-heartedly.

Yes, you only have to look at the difference between B.F. and L.U.

IMO it depends where you are. WhenI came to Sydney in the 70s it was heard w.r.t. "code wars".
Outside of the rugby states it was definitely used w.r.t. scrums and it probably used with indifference
and light-heartedly.

Yes, you only have to look at the difference between B.F. and L.U.

I take a peak at the League Unlimited forum from time to time and they're unhinged in their resentment of rugby union and AFL.

I take a peak at the League Unlimited forum from time to time and they're unhinged in their resentment of rugby union and AFL.

There can be pretty good reasons for that. Rugby Union while I’m sure like any demographic has its fair share of great people, can be a haven for a fairly outdated model of classicism.

At uni some of the friends I lived with talked me into joining the union club and I played and we won the premiership but as someone without the right schooling there is no way that club could have made me feel like more of an outsider. The pecking order of the entire club was based around who knew who, and how far you made it through which particular school and their rugby system. Ability didn’t matter nearly as much. And if you didn’t tow the ‘hazing’ line you were made an outsider. Even last year I played (as in sang and played guitar) at a reunion ball to celebrate the 20 years since and all the players the club has had in the interim. My name as a grand final winner was literally on a framed jersey on the stage along with maybe 5 other jerseys of teams that had won a premiership for the club in that period. 1 solitary person from my time at the club came and spoke to me.

A year after that single season I joined the uni league club - they did not give a shit who I was or where I was from. It was just ‘you want to play? Sure, we will chuck you in somewhere. Train when you can, this is the coach, these are the captains, these are the grades, take it as serious or non serious as you want.’

Our side didn’t win a game the first season I played and it was the most enjoyable sporting experience I’ve had and to this day I’m mates with 15-20 of the blokes I played with.

League fans can be extremely dumb there’s no denying that, but the exclusivity that many of them have felt from Union has a lot to do with how they feel about it. Class gaps don’t just disappear no matter where they are; you won’t go to an AC/DC concert and expect to find people discussing how much they love Coldplay or Ed Sheeran

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back