AFL players who smoke

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoy the irony of smokers demanding the right to "choose" to smoke, which is true enough in a legal sense, when the vast majority of actual smokers (not the drunken bum-a-durrie types) have no actual choice at all. Good old addiction. Our brains are pretty good at it.

Speaking of nicotine, it's a bit of a con to say it relaxes people. It's generally a stimulant. Smokers don't smoke to "help" them relax, it just feels that way once you're a smoker. It's actually kinda doing the opposite from what I understand (happy to be corrected). You feel a withdrawal from the effects (dopamine and adrenal levels rise with each dart, then fairly quickly start dropping).

Anyway, while it's legal, puff away folks... As long as I don't have to smell it, you don't make people sick with second hand smoke, you don't litter with your thousands of filthy butts and you don't play for my club (I'm looking at you Levi), do whatever makes you happy for a while.

No they are legal because none are inherently dangerous. It's not that hard to understand.

Heroin, cocaine, ecstasy(how it is currently made) are inherently dangerous to varying degrees.
Are you suggesting there is nothing inherently dangerous to smoking?

Interesting that you start recreational drugs with heroin and that marijuana is nowhere on your list...

Alcohol and gambling have serious social impact, I'm not suggesting ban alcohol but it's a nice big double standard.

Are you suggesting there is nothing inherently dangerous to smoking?

Interesting that you start recreational drugs with heroin and that marijuana is nowhere on your list...

Alcohol and gambling have serious social impact, I'm not suggesting ban alcohol but it's a nice big double standard.

One dose, high enough to achieve the desired effect, can it kill you?

That's the standard. That's what being inherently dangerous is.

Smoking - no even close. Smoke 100 cig goes in one sitting and it won't kill you
Alcohol - no, alcohol poisoning is possible but at doses way beyond the point required to get someone drunk.
Gambling - the standard is set by the unit, which is one dollar. No one is going to face financial ruin by betting one dollar.

Mary Jane - why do you assume I disagree with you here? Do I think it should be legal? Yes I do. For the same reasons as above. That's actually why it wasn't on my list.

Heroin - easily
Cocaine - yep
Ecstasy - yep

Misuse of alcohol, ciggies, gambling, weed is what causes issues. Not use.

Not to sound facetious, but drink too much water and you die too. That's actually how Anna Wood passed away, she didn't OD on the E. It just switched off the part of her brain which told her she is no longer thirsty.

SRP board is <<<<<thataway<<<<<

There are links between marijuana use and mental illnesses such as depression, anxiety disorders and schizophrenia. Of some people can bong on for years and nothing will happen to them the same as people who smoke into their 80's without any ill effects.

I don't think marijuana is as harmless as it's portrayed anyway (speaking from a bad experience I had from smoking the shit once years ago).

Clubs have a pretty big say in what the players should and shouldnt do, but the player should also realise what is going to help or hinder them, I notice CEY has been quoted as a smoke, I think if CEY doesnmt start playing to his ability he will no longer be an AFL footballer. Its his decision if he smokes or not, but he may want to look at giving himself the best opportunity to play AFL football or dont complain if he gets cut. Players like Roughie probably can do what they want as they have runs on the board and it doesnt seem to hinder him and if it does he can cope with it.

T
There are links between marijuana use and mental illnesses such as depression, anxiety disorders and schizophrenia. Of some people can bong on for years and nothing will happen to them the same as people who smoke into their 80's without any ill effects.

I don't think marijuana is as harmless as it's portrayed anyway (speaking from a bad experience I had from smoking the shit once years ago).
I don't know exactly where you're getting your info from but there is absolutely no link between marijuana and schizophrenia. As the percentage of marijuana use has massively and steadily increased since the 60s schizophrenia cases have stayed at a exactly the same percentage in people. If it were causing schizophrenia a correlation would have been found.

T
I don't know exactly where you're getting your info from but there is absolutely no link between marijuana and schizophrenia. As the percentage of marijuana use has massively and steadily increased since the 60s schizophrenia cases have stayed at a exactly the same percentage in people. If it were causing schizophrenia a correlation would have been found.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-126056/How-cannabis-trigger-schizophrenia.html

http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/24/5...nd-schizophrenia-is-way-more-complicated-than

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/healthadvice/problemsdisorders/cannabis.aspx

There are hundreds more articles

(Log in to remove this ad.)

T
Yes there is.
The science isn't precise but there is well established links between cannabis being a trigger for those genetically predisposed to psychotic illnesses such as schizophrenia.
http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/24/5...nd-schizophrenia-is-way-more-complicated-than

A quick google search will provide a heap more information than I can provide but to state categorically that "there is absolutely no link between marijuana and schizophrenia" is false. Also the diagnosis of mental illness is far more advanced than it was in the 60's anyway. Back then a lot of mental illnesses would have fallen under the umbrella of schizophrenia but now more people are probably being diagnosed with other mental and psychological conditions rather than just schizophrenia which may skew the percentages somewhat.

But I'm no expert I'm only going by what I read.

Yes there is.
The science isn't precise but there is well established links between cannabis being a trigger for those genetically predisposed to psychotic illnesses such as schizophrenia.

A quick google search will provide a heap more information than I can provide but to state categorically that "there is absolutely no link between marijuana and schizophrenia" is false. Also the diagnosis of mental illness is far more advanced than it was in the 60's anyway. Back then a lot of mental illnesses would have fallen under the umbrella of schizophrenia but now more people are probably being diagnosed with other mental and psychological conditions rather than just schizophrenia which may skew the percentages somewhat.

But I'm no expert I'm only going by what I read.
Fair enough, I probably didn't explain myself as eloquently as I should have but I'm typing on my phone.
There are lots studies with varying results as to whether or not it can be a trigger for people with a genetic predisposition to schizophrenia. There are many different triggers, which can send people with a predisposition to mental illness down that path. In saying that, the distinction I am trying to make is that marijuana does not "cause" schizophrenia.
In the end when discussing topics like this everyone is going by "what they read", and with a "quick google search" comes a lot of information as well as a lot misinformation.

I've been smoking five or six joints a day since the early days of the Keating government, aside from lung capacity being a bit hooky, and short term memory not being what it once was, I've never had an issues. I think weed can cause mental issues for those who are already predisposed to it, or if you smoke it while your brain is developing, but aside from that I don't see to many issues, booze is far more damaging, both physically, and socially.

I've been smoking five or six joints a day since the early days of the Keating government, aside from lung capacity being a bit hooky, and short term memory not being what it once was, I've never had an issues. I think weed can cause mental issues for those who are already predisposed to it, or if you smoke it while your brain is developing, but aside from that I don't see to many issues, booze is far more damaging, both physically, and socially.

Maybe it is maybe it isn't, but it appears there has been a lot of research on weed and it appears from this research it does cause mentall illness in some.

Maybe if it was legal like booze there would be a greater problem with it than booze, but it isn't it's illegal so I guess we will never know unless laws are changed. It would be brave government to legalise it though, wouldn't you think ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back