Buffs2011

Senior List
Feb 7, 2011
Beenleigh
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians, Cleveland Cavs
I am interested to know. If the supporters would support a full reserves comp in the AFL. How good would it be if when you went to the footy to see say Carlton v Collingwood that if you got there early you could watch the youngsters battle it out for the seniors played? I think i can remember a time when this used to happen although i think it went out the window when Port and Freo came in. I for one know that i would go down to the ground early and watch my swans 2's play before the seniors which would also mean id have a few more beers and an extra pie maybe so more money back to the venue/home club.

Simple answer is YES.

The VFL is a joke at the moment, all teams have 4 byes, FOUR:eek:.

And if you don't have a standalone team like the Pies or Cats, you are restricted in terms of the amount of AFL listed/rookie listed players you are allowed to play in the VFL seniors.

But I can't see a league getting up and going, the AFL simply don't look like they care, especially when it comes to Victorian AFL clubs and their reserves teams future.

I put this into my feedback form last year when the AFL was askign about how the fans wanted the fixturing... Appears though not enough people would have done the same. I just think it would be great to have a day at the footy and watch all the young blokes coming through from my team so when they debut I am not thinking who is this bloek ill be liek yeah i know him watched him kick 5 last week in teh 2s

While there's a lot to be said for having a reserves competition from the stand point of consistency, draws, etc....I wonder whether a lot of clubs actually like having their draftees and rookies playing in the state comps instead. The ability to expose the kids to some hard-bodied, quality players as opposed to playing in what could effectively be an u/23's competition with a sprinkling of older fringe players and seniors coming back from injury.

There are still a number of quality, older footballers floating around in the VFL/WAFL/SANFL. I mean Podsiadly was floating around til he was 28. Would be great as a coach to know that you're up and coming full-back kept him to a goal or scoreless the week before, as opposed to beating the 19yr old 2nd year full-forward who's a long way off reaching his potential.

The football smarts and knowledge of those older players is something kids need to be exposed against, rather than just the raw talent of the other young players on club lists.

What I think most AFL teams DO need however are their own, stand-alone Reserves sides in whatever competition they are in. Clubs need the ability to play players where it suits them, not the team they are playing for. The ability to train their 2nd-stringers in the same structures and game styles as the seniors so that they can step up more seamlessly.

My 2 cents for what it's worth.

A full reserves is an idea I have always supported, but I would go a step further and include potential future AFL clubs in the league (such as Tasmania and the Territory Thunder).

While there's a lot to be said for having a reserves competition from the stand point of consistency, draws, etc....I wonder whether a lot of clubs actually like having their draftees and rookies playing in the state comps instead. The ability to expose the kids to some hard-bodied, quality players as opposed to playing in what could effectively be an u/23's competition with a sprinkling of older fringe players and seniors coming back from injury.

There are still a number of quality, older footballers floating around in the VFL/WAFL/SANFL. I mean Podsiadly was floating around til he was 28. Would be great as a coach to know that you're up and coming full-back kept him to a goal or scoreless the week before, as opposed to beating the 19yr old 2nd year full-forward who's a long way off reaching his potential.

The football smarts and knowledge of those older players is something kids need to be exposed against, rather than just the raw talent of the other young players on club lists.

What I think most AFL teams DO need however are their own, stand-alone Reserves sides in whatever competition they are in. Clubs need the ability to play players where it suits them, not the team they are playing for. The ability to train their 2nd-stringers in the same structures and game styles as the seniors so that they can step up more seamlessly.

My 2 cents for what it's worth.

Pretty much agree with all of this :thumbsu:

I like the idea but it is problematic.

An AFL reserves would be very expensive for a start but the idea of playing reserves games before senior games just won't ever eventuate. There are not enough grounds to cover the load. When we had comps with u19, reserves & seniors you had 3 games on a Saturday every second week. Now we have Friday night, Saturday and Sunday footy on a slow week.

The cost of extended lists, extra medical and coaching staff and logistics like flights etc would make it difficult. It would be easier to run a state based reserves comps with games played seperately to senior games at "local" venues. As a Collingwood spporter I'd love to see Collingwood v Carlton reserves at Vic Park and Whateveritscalledthesedays Dungheap.

In Victoria it could be an AFL club comp seperate from the current VFL. It would kill off the old VFA but it could be done. Outside of Victoria the AFL clubs should have their own reserves side in the local leagues but that has consequenses for the SANFL and WAFL, albeit not as grave as for the VFL. In NSW and Qld the local leagues just aren't string enough to provide the right competition but that is already a problem anyway. I think the NSW and Qld clubs should think about a combined comp with some stronger local sides. Again that all but kills off their existing ocal comps.

I like the idea but it is problematic.

An AFL reserves would be very expensive for a start but the idea of playing reserves games before senior games just won't ever eventuate. There are not enough grounds to cover the load. When we had comps with u19, reserves & seniors you had 3 games on a Saturday every second week. Now we have Friday night, Saturday and Sunday footy on a slow week.

The cost of extended lists, extra medical and coaching staff and logistics like flights etc would make it difficult. It would be easier to run a state based reserves comps with games played seperately to senior games at "local" venues. As a Collingwood spporter I'd love to see Collingwood v Carlton reserves at Vic Park and Whateveritscalledthesedays Dungheap.

In Victoria it could be an AFL club comp seperate from the current VFL. It would kill off the old VFA but it could be done. Outside of Victoria the AFL clubs should have their own reserves side in the local leagues but that has consequenses for the SANFL and WAFL, albeit not as grave as for the VFL. In NSW and Qld the local leagues just aren't string enough to provide the right competition but that is already a problem anyway. I think the NSW and Qld clubs should think about a combined comp with some stronger local sides. Again that all but kills off their existing ocal comps.

The issue i have with the current system. Living in QLD i can see how the stand alone sides in a lesser state league is having a negative effect. The Brisbane Lions reserves only feild half at best of actual listed players to make the comp fairer which means that they are not developing all of thier players. and in the ACT comp that GWS and Sydney are playing in there isn't enough strong compition to truely develop blokes. Look at GWS for instance they are winnign a fair few games in AFL Canberra comp but would be eaten alive liek GC was if they were playing in the VFL.

There was good reason for the AFL to abolish the club system .
The call for a return of the reserves is purely to keep pace with some rich clubs .The solution is to allow only standalone clubs in the second tier competition .This makes it fair for all teams and puts greater interest in the second tiers.

agree with the idea in theory, but won't happen as the lists would need to be bigger to cope with those clubs who have long injury lists. Any clubs with 4 or more injuries wouldn't be able to field a AFL and Reserves team in the one weekend.
If you made up the number with, lets say, VFL players then all you've got is a VFL setup just with altered rules allowing as many AFL listed players to play as possible.

All that effort for not much change is not worth the trouble.

agree with the idea in theory, but won't happen as the lists would need to be bigger to cope with those clubs who have long injury lists. Any clubs with 4 or more injuries wouldn't be able to field a AFL and Reserves team in the one weekend.
If you made up the number with, lets say, VFL players then all you've got is a VFL setup just with altered rules allowing as many AFL listed players to play as possible.

What about topping up your reserves team with TAC Cup kids (or the equivalent in state leagues) then?

They already do it in the VFL, where a TAC Cup player can play as a 23rd man, so no reason it couldnt work here.

Obviously there would have to be some stipulations as to which club can select from where, but IMO it could work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing wrong with the Box Hill Hawks.

BHH Coach is on Hawthorn Coaching staff anyway

How amy people watched the reserves when it was the early game ?

Not many - Imagine what collo will charge at the dome for it to happen

Would like it to happen, but theres still lots of problems.

What I am opposed to though, is the destruction of the State leagues. I really don't like hearing about how Carlton are trying to make the Northern Bullants wear their colours and change their nickname and I'm sure Richmond did the same with Coburg and so on. It just really cheapens the league which is dissappointing because of the history associated with the clubs that are being taken over. Collingwood and Geelong are doing really well with the alignments, but is it good for the VFL. Neither club could give a damn where they finish at the end of the season and are in it for themselves, fair enough, but it diminishes the value of the league. It was why I hated the idea of West Coast and Fremantle having their own teams in the WAFL, it kills passion, the crowds and interest in the second tier. The AFL should always be the number one priority, but can't be beneficial to rape and pillage these leagues which provide a good alternative to the highest level.

Having said all that it would be really difficult to successfully implement a reserves competition. Worked fine when nearly all clubs were in Victoria, but thats obviously not the case any more. It would mean interstate clubs would have to pay for at least 44 players (more if theres lots of injuries) and god knows how many support staff every week and then every second week they'd have to fly them all across the country and put them up at a hotel. I know theres plenty of money going around in the AFL at the moment but thats stretching it surely?

So I think the AFL should reinstate the reserves competition for Victoria at least, there was talk about an Eastern seaboard reserves comp a year or two back, but that would have to depend on the success of GWS and Gold Coast. WA clubs and SA clubs would no doubt complain, which isn't ideal, but the local leagues are going really well and Adelaide, Port and West Coast have all won premierships in the last 14 years under the same system. If those clubs could afford it then why not, but it would be a lot more expensive than for the Victorian clubs. I dont want my club to be disadvantaged, nor the other WA and SA clubs, but I think the VFL will be a lifeless competition far removed from the community, grass roots appealing league it should be if no action is taken now.

the 2 W.A clubs night be for an afl reserves comp. because they aren't liking the wafl at the moment.

Don't know where you get that from , the Dockers and Eagles have a great affinity for the WAFL .They are only suggesting a reserves team to keep up with the pacesetters .

It's like daylight saving , the only reason we have calls for it is because the pricks over East have it .

Yes bring it back, I would love to see Melbourne's youngsters play at Casey but it is simply too far away, if they played at the G before the real game I'll would go in early to watch em, it costs Vic clubs $250000 to be aligned with vfl clubs while it costs collingwood and Geelong $500000 to have stand alone clubs, early this year there was talk of Melbourne, Richmond and the bulldogs wanting stand alone clubs, the cost wasn't worrying them, and the WA clubs also want stand alone clubs in the wafl. Surely with the money the AFL makes these days they can get the reserves comp happening again, give something back to the fans.

Don't know where you get that from , the Dockers and Eagles have a great affinity for the WAFL .They are only suggesting a reserves team to keep up with the pacesetters .

It's like daylight saving , the only reason we have calls for it is because the pricks over East have it .

they have been pushing to have their own teams in the wafl after this year.

I am interested to know. If the supporters would support a full reserves comp in the AFL. How good would it be if when you went to the footy to see say Carlton v Collingwood that if you got there early you could watch the youngsters battle it out for the seniors played? I think i can remember a time when this used to happen although i think it went out the window when Port and Freo came in. I for one know that i would go down to the ground early and watch my swans 2's play before the seniors which would also mean id have a few more beers and an extra pie maybe so more money back to the venue/home club.

It wont work, it didnt work...it happened in the 90's...Great concept but will stuff up the VFL and then will ultimate have a chain reaction through local footy.

I think they should however, make the VFL the old type reserves were they play before the AFL...that would be awesome. That way AFL / VFL teams are full squads, they travel together....it would also i believe be very beneficial for clubs to see the best players in the VFL and also give the fans a chance to see there up and comers.

All VFL sides including Collingwood and Geelong have excess players who when they don't get selected in the VFL play for their local club.

These players are not affiliated with Collingwood or Geelong's AFL side.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Reserves League

Remove this Banner Ad

Back