MRP / Trib. AFL Round 13 charges - Steven Johnson receives two-match ban for bump on Pearce Hanley

Remove this Banner Ad

Nope - got both my eyes open and I still can't see where he collects him to the head.

Firstly, I don't agree with that being worthy of a suspension, I'm just pointing out there was head contact.

The only other alternative is that Hanley is an extremely talented actor and jolted his head from side to side in the same direction as a passing shoulder would have done so at the exact millisecond that a shoulder did infact pass by

Any sense of whether the club will challenge? They absolutely should. The MRP is TOTAL bullshit...:mad::mad:

I'm willing to guarantee you that they will. It's two weeks either way and it doesn't matter if he's got 99 points or one point hanging over his head, with his bad record, he's screwed if he gets cited anytime for the next two and a half years. I think his chances of getting off are extremely remote, but they've got to try.

Geelong should challenge. Not sure he will get off but worth a shot. The only thing that saved Hodge was he convinced the panel he wasn't going the bump and it was incidental contact, not sure what Johnson can argue but maybe the fact head contact is somewhat inconclusive will be enough to at least reduce the penalty.

Not sure why some here are saying Johnson doesn't learn, he didn't really do anything wrong, wasn't a bad or stupid act.

This game is getting extremely soft, not much if anything at all in the incident, certainly not enough to justify a 2 week suspension.

I'm willing to guarantee you that they will. It's two weeks either way and it doesn't matter if he's got 99 points or one point hanging over his head, with his bad record, he's screwed if he gets cited anytime for the next two and a half years. I think his chances of getting off are extremely remote, but they've got to try.

If (and with recent history its a BIG IF) they can go there with the correct argument I reckon they couldn't drop it to 1 week.
Wont happen though, clearly the AFL doesn't want Geelong to be any more successful in the next few years.

Way different champ.

Kel went for the man with no intention of contesting the ball. SJ was contesting the ball and was late arriving. His intention was the ball.

Kel had an alternative to his action don't believe SJ did.

Kel clearly jumped into Goddard. SJ didn't to Handley.

SJ had his arm completely tucked in. Kel didn't.

If SJ had an unblemished record I'd be confident he'd get off. Concerned about his priors though.
See MRP report. I rest my case (doesn't mean it isn't utter bullshit but got same treatment as Kelly which was my point)...

GTSFzS9.png

here's the point of contact. obviously collects him in the head. the next frame has hanley's head snapping back.
from your friendly neighbourhood picture provider of contentious issues that may have a bearing on the weekend's game.

Same. Hanley's head jolted because of the impact to the shoulder, not because he was hit in the head. SJ done everything right, didn't leave the ground, hit Hanley shoulder to shoulder, perfect bump but gets 2 weeks. A JOKE!
Agree. He even appeared to come in low.
The MRP need to realise that a head will move no matter the size of an impact. SJ was almost passed him before the head whip lashed into his back..

SJ should counter that he never hit Hanley in the head and that Hanley actually headbutted his back :)

Firstly, I don't agree with that being worthy of a suspension, I'm just pointing out there was head contact.

The only other alternative is that Hanley is an extremely talented actor and jolted his head from side to side in the same direction as a passing shoulder would have done so at the exact millisecond that a shoulder did infact pass by

Well if you read my posts, you would understand that I did not watch the incident with one eye only, I was merely stating that I could not see the contact from the angles that I viewed the incident. I am happy to be proven wrong, all I was asking was for some footage that clearly showed this.

GTSFzS9.png

here's the point of contact. obviously collects him in the head. the next frame has hanley's head snapping back.
from your friendly neighbourhood picture provider of contentious issues that may have a bearing on the weekend's game.
Rubbish. That is actually after the contact. Hanleys body is spinning because of the initial contact.

He wont get off. We never do manage to get them off. But that charge is bulltish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was head contact, you can see Hanleys head jolt. SJ's shoulder first makes contact with Hanleys shoulder and then goes past his shoulder and there is contact to the head. It's quite clear when you watch the video with 2 eyes.

SJ clearly meant to lay a fair shoulder to shoulder bump, but the mistake was made and there was contact to the head. A bad bump costs you weeks, a bad tackle costs you a free kick, he should have chosen the latter.

Maybe certain aspects of the charge can be argued, that's up to the club

Controversial, the bolded!!

Rubbish. That is actually after the contact. Hanleys body is spinning because of the initial contact.

He wont get off. We never do manage to get them off. But that charge is bulltish.
nope, it's just before the contact. it's easy enough to freeze frame the footage on the AFL site.

GTSFzS9.png

Can you somehow do the matrix shot with that picture to show it from the front on angle... from the side I don't think its clear at all contact is to the head...

Can you somehow do the matrix sour with that picture to show it from the front on angle... from the side I don't think its clear at all contact is to the head...
i can do it if the footage is available but will have to wait until i get home. at least i can probably capture the next frame after contact.

If (and with recent history its a BIG IF) they can go there with the correct argument I reckon they couldn't drop it to 1 week.
Wont happen though, clearly the AFL doesn't want Geelong to be any more successful in the next few years.

The only way I can see that happening is if they convince the tribunal that it was body contact, not head contact. To me, it looked pretty clear that he got him in the head. Conduct is already at the lowest it can be, without the incident being thrown out. And we've got no hope of reducing the impact grading, when that has come directly from Brisbane's assessment of Hanley after the incident.

It's a Hail Mary, but to me, 'no realistic alternative' is the only hope we've got.

The only way I can see that happening is if they convince the tribunal that it was body contact, not head contact. To me, it looked pretty clear that he got him in the head. Conduct is already at the lowest it can be, without the incident being thrown out. And we've got no hope of reducing the impact grading, when that has come directly from Brisbane's assessment of Hanley after the incident.

It's a Hail Mary, but to me, 'no realistic alternative' is the only hope we've got.

could we argue that he was trying to avoid contact with his teammate? Wasn't that the argument that Hodge used?

GTSFzS9.png

That's pretty conclusive. Contact is well up into Hanley's face. Not sure what the issue is from the supporters here. Clearly head high contact, in a bump. The precedent has been previously set with this.

GERARD WHATELY, if you are reading this, you had better spend 20 minutes of tonights 360 shoving your big powerful media dildo right up MRPs backside.

Not for SJ, not for the Cats, but for the good of the game and for the sake of future generations. Please Geraldo, please.

Amen.

On the 'medium' impact thing... obviously something was in the Lions medical report because otherwise, considering there was no concussion then you'd think it would go to 'low'. If there was genuine forceful contact to the head with medium impact it would be lights out.

This is the best picture of the high contact I could get... Johnson hits Hanley's head with the side of his upper back almost, with the majority of the contact through his core. Johnson is standing a fraction higher than Hanley, but otherwise it is a straight square bump.

I don't know what technically makes high contact 'incidental'... if you consider the Lindsay Thomas one where their heads clashed, which is why he got off... but Johnson didn't get Hanley in the head with his shoulder, the high contact was almost secondary. I think I'm getting to technical and it's making my head hurt, probably no less than Hanley though!

Screen%2520Shot%25202013-06-24%2520at%25204.26.30%2520PM.png

That's pretty conclusive. Contact is well up into Hanley's face. Not sure what the issue is from the supporters here. Clearly head high contact, in a bump. The precedent has been previously set with this.
Piss off idiot that still shot shows nothing.

You had better go speak with security, i think you dropped your purse in the ladies room.

I know this thread is about SJ and his report, but can someone please explain or tell me when "pinching" became a reportable offence? :confused:

I vaguely recall he did it to Ablett a few years ago. Could be wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. AFL Round 13 charges - Steven Johnson receives two-match ban for bump on Pearce Hanley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back