Review Cats down Blues by 13 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

He's had 3 goaless games in a row not 2. I think May and/or Lever will take a bunch of intercept marks with Hawkins in his current form. I'd have Neale in this week at the MCG and Hawkins back in for the Port game at Geelong.
id run all 3 Tomma, Jezza and Neale.

Bend and Stretch... reach for the stars.....

Get em tall lol and watch it piss down rain lol

GO Catters

GO Catters

Love to see it- and that would be a great way to pacify the Neale supporters, but not sure who comes out for him, would take some juggling.

He is trying to say, we don't have the best players, but we do have the best coach. Is that enough to win you a flag?

As I said in an earlier post, it's a bit of a backhander to the playing group.

IMO we have comfortably the best forward line in the league and a top 2-3 backline based on talent (statistically we're the 4th best backline at the moment behind Swans, Freo and Demons).

Obviously the midfield is the issue but a fit Dangerfield and Guthrie are still close to A graders and Bruhn/Bowes/Atkins/Blicavs is not a poor support cast. If I was ranking all the midfields in the comp purely on talent I'd have us somewhere in the middle - no different to 2022 when our midfield was carried to a degree by a brilliant forward line and defence.

GO Catters
I'm ok with that. Cameron is more like a modern day wingman in the NBA who still has to be watched by the back 6. With Neale getting to contests, May and Lever will be required to double team him sometimes and that allows our midfielders to hit up Tomahawk who is our best set shot. But one could also make the case for Rohan instead of Neale.

He's had 3 goaless games in a row not 2. You might not count the rain affected Brisbane game but that type of weather usually brings out the best in Hawkins as ball handling is more important than ability to cover ground. I think May and/or Lever will take a bunch of intercept marks with Hawkins in his current form. I'd have Neale in this week at the MCG and Hawkins back in for the Port game at Geelong.

He also kicked 2x bags of 4. If you read the whole post you can see I'm only advocating playing him for 3 more games and seeing what we get

I don't see it working since Rohan will very likely come in as well.

I'd back Hawkins in for at least another week and then consider Neale for Port/Gold Coast.

I'm of the opinion that talk of Hawk's demise is premature and they'll work around him while there's still lots of upside, and he wants to take the field continuously. Rohan can play multiple positions. It will be interesting how they shape up without Danger.
Similarly- We've seen how egg on critics faces can occur with Tuohey and to some extent Stanley, not to mention Guthrie's mode of return, it might seem a cop out, but Club knows best.

Why contentious 50m penalty was paid against Blues​

The AFL has explained the decision that resulted in a crucial 50m penalty being paid against the Blues

THE AFL has backed the decision to award a contentious 50m penalty against Carlton during the final term of Saturday's loss to Geelong at the MCG.

Early in the fourth quarter, Harry McKay was beaten for a mark on the Members' wing by Cats star Jeremy Cameron before the Blues forward, who appeared to pick up a knock to his leg in the contest, briefly stood on the mark and then hobbled back towards defensive 50 having seen his skipper Patrick Cripps stand on the mark and put his hands up as Cameron prepared to kick.

But the field umpire, having nominated McKay as the player to stand, awarded a 50-metre penalty to the Cats because McKay had illegally moved off the mark. Cameron converted from the resulting shot on goal, stretching Geelong's lead to 21 points.

The AFL's Executive General Manager of Football, Laura Kane, said in instances where two or more players look to stand on the mark, the field umpire will nominate which player should stand, allowing others to move out of the protective area.

In the instance on Saturday, Kane said the umpire called for McKay to stand, but the Blues forward seemingly did not hear the call and illegally moved off the mark.

"There's a little bit of common sense that gets applied," Kane told Footy Feed Extra when asked how umpires determine which player should stand the mark.

"If a player self selects and they're the closest to where the mark has been paid and then in fact (is) standing on that mark, it's very clearly them. If two players, which sometimes happens, both go to the spot and the umpire is trying to differentiate who is staying there and who is about to run off, the umpire may select one of the players and instruct them to stay and instruct the other player to get out of the way.

"In the case on the weekend, the umpire has instructed Harry to stay on the mark, but the opposite has occurred and a free kick has been paid.

"It's practical application. If there's one player there, it's very obvious. But sometimes there's not, there's multiple. The controlling umpire closest to the contest and making a decision will make a call and very loudly and clearly tell the players to stay put.

"But in this case, unfortunately, the player has headed off and the 50 metres has been paid."

----

BTW, I disagree that McKay didn't hear the umpire tell him to stand because he looked straight at the umpire after the first call of "stand", he stopped but then kept backing away

Either way, suck it Carlton fans, the call was correct 😎

8) Even a blunt Tomahawk is dangerous​

Tom Hawkins went goalless again on Saturday night against Carlton, marking the first time since 2019 he has failed to kick a major for three consecutive matches. Yet the Cats keep winning. Jeremy Cameron also failed to hit the scoreboard in round six against Brisbane, but with no guns firing Geelong still found a way. The fact is Chris Scott's side has become anything but predictable, and an attack built primarily around Hawkins for more than a decade now has the luxury of using him as a role player. But good luck to the opposition that thinks they can forget about the 35-year-old forward and move their resources elsewhere. With two bags of four goals in the first three rounds, he demands attention weekly and is sure to play a big part in the Cats' final fortunes this year. - Howard Kimber

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And with those AFLCA votes, Jezza has moved into equal 4th and Gryan into equal 7th overall 😎

View attachment 1974567

It will be interesting to see how he goes Brownlow wise. Brownlow obviously midfielders medal but when the umps look at the stats sheet and our leading ball winner has 25 instead of 35 they might be more willing to oblige for Cameron this year.

He's had 3 goaless games in a row not 2. You might not count the rain affected Brisbane game but that type of weather usually brings out the best in Hawkins as ball handling is more important than ability to cover ground. I think May and/or Lever will take a bunch of intercept marks with Hawkins in his current form. I'd have Neale in this week at the MCG and Hawkins back in for the Port game at Geelong.
Will be interesting what Scott does in negating May and Lever.
Neale in / Hawk out or both in or perhaps Hawk with Rohan and Henry?

Looking forward to how we set up this week😁

Yes, even turning Cottrell away from goal was the bare minimum necessary. He’d like his time again, for sure.
Kolo’s problem is that his mistakes are magnified because they all happen within 30 metres of goal. A similar mistake in the centre square is not even noticeable.

Kolo is the new Josh hunt. Hunt used to get crucified for his (infrequent) mistakes because they invariably cost us a goal when he would make a blunder in the d50. This conveniently ignored the numerous scoring opportunities he set up by taking risks out of defence.

Kolo is in a similar boat. 98% of the time he gets his difficult job spot on and because he is not doing anything flashy his stellar play gets ignored. But the 1-2% of the time when he has a **** up it costs us a goal and ignorant Geelong fans lose their shit.

Interesting that you do not value Danger and think that Clark and Mannagh are as good as him. I was not saying we cannot win but that we do not have other mids that offer what he offers.
This would make sense, except we actually were better in clearances and around the contest after danger got injured.

I am not saying that there is any correlation/causation going on here, but we clearly were able to effectively cover for him when he went off.

Kolo’s problem is that his mistakes are magnified because they all happen within 30 metres of goal. A similar mistake in the centre square is not even noticeable.

Kolo is the new Josh hunt. Hunt used to get crucified for his (infrequent) mistakes because they invariably cost us a goal when he would make a blunder in the d50. This conveniently ignored the numerous scoring opportunities he set up by taking risks out of defence.

Kolo is in a similar boat. 98% of the time he gets his difficult job spot on and because he is not doing anything flashy his stellar play gets ignored. But the 1-2% of the time when he has a utensil up it costs us a goal and ignorant Geelong fans lose their s**t.
No, don’t agree. Kolo does dumb things that other defenders don’t. As did Josh Hunt actually. So I guess you are half right.

Kolo is in a similar boat. 98% of the time he gets his difficult job spot on and because he is not doing anything flashy his stellar play gets ignored. But the 1-2% of the time when he has a utensil up it costs us a goal and ignorant Geelong fans lose their s**t.
Yeah . Who’d want to be a backman..

Will be interesting what Scott does in negating May and Lever.
Neale in / Hawk out or both in or perhaps Hawk with Rohan and Henry?

Looking forward to how we set up this week😁
It would be very interesting to see what would happen if Hawkins and Neale both didn’t play and we bought Rohan into the forward line.

May would not play on Cameron (he wouldn’t keep up with him) and lever would not be accountable enough to play on Jezza. Who would they actually play on? May would probably play on Henry and that would leave lever to have to cover Rohan?

If we avoided bombing the ball into the forwardline (which we have avoided doing all season) that would be a very interesting set of matchups for us.

I actually am very confident that we will
Kick a winning score this week. the teams that trouble Melbourne are the teams that are smart with the ball going forward and find the best option. The recipe for disaster against Melbourne is kicking long to an outnumber. We are better at this than almost everyone in the comp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back