Game Day AFL Round 17 - Collingwood vs Essendon Matchday Discussion. (MCG 3.20pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah ****, some of you Buckley haters are making some sense after selection this week. Hate that shit but still think that Malthouse wouldn't have fared much better so....where are we?

Who said anything about Malthouse? Better options out there for a senior coach than him.

We lose to Adelaide next week and they take our spot!

Which on current form is unfortunately pretty much as it should be - Essendon, Adelaide and Gold Coast fighting it out for 7th / 8th spot at the end of the H&A season.

Ah ****, some of you Buckley haters are making some sense after selection this week. Hate that shit but still think that Malthouse wouldn't have fared much better so....where are we?
Looking beyond those 2 perhaps? They are not the only we could select.

How can you defend Goldsack and Blair who are doing **** all but have a go at a clearly injured Swan?
I understand what your saying and we all have our opinions on players efforts and what benefits their roles play in the structure. But IMO Swan is injured and brings less to the team being played out of position than a fully fit replacement with potential. Look at that free kick Swan got in the 1st half 40m out and yes on a tight angle but it looked like he was incapable of kicking the goal and therefor set up no one with a clanger to the middle. Guys like Blair and Goldsack are poor but I feel this is because they are exhausted trying to cover holes and vacancies left by too many passengers.

One thing I can't comprehend is you either need to pick a super strong backline so you concede SFA, or if you're going to concede bit scores you need to balance it with a super strong forward line in order to score more than you concede.

We did neither this week. Knowing how tall they are forward we didn't select the right match ups, yet we also went in with one of the worst forward line structures seen since the glory days of Tony Shaw.

Our young defenders look absolutely cooked, and I can understand that as they've been rather defiant and stoic this year. Yet with Elliot out, where were the small/mid forwards who can damage and kick goals? So how the fruit were we going to win? It's mind numbing that our highly paid selection team thought it would work.

I understand what your saying and we all have our opinions on players efforts and what benefits their roles play in the structure. But IMO Swan is injured and brings less to the team being played out of position than a fully fit replacement with potential. Look at that free kick Swan got in the 1st half 40m out and yes on a tight angle but it looked like he was incapable of kicking the goal and therefor set up no one with a clanger to the middle. Guys like Blair and Goldsack are poor but I feel this is because they are exhausted trying to cover holes and vacancies left by too many passengers.

Yes. They are also poor because they're arent good enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's time to make some tough decisions. Swan, Ball should sit out for the rest of the season and give Broomhead, Kennedy and Martin some game time. We will not have any impact in finals, even if we make it.

No I'm saying that if we lose today then our spot in the top 8 is under threat and I wonder whether there's more pressing issues to deal with with the club considering our poor form lately. We've only won one game in our last four so the response today is going to be interesting from the boys.

We win this we're right on track to push on for the rest of the season, but if we don't then we'll be clinging onto our spot in the eight especially with a tough run home.

I don't proclaim to know whether the coaches are on the money but I hope they are today and that's all it matters for now. I'm quietly confident that we'll get the job done. I'm not usually an optimist but today I have a good feeling we'll demonstrate a good response to the footy world.

Well now we know that the coaches have also to answer for regarding this pathetic performance today.

Terrible performance. I was expecting a massive response from the side today after a disappointing loss to the Suns last week but this week it was worse than ever. I couldn't find many positives at all and I'm usually someone who tries to identify positives from each match we play. So much went wrong today and is becoming a frequent trend within this side unfortunately.

Firstly, our disposal efficiency is deplorable. We are seriously one of the worst users of the ball. It's amazing how much we've declined in this area of our game. I don't think we've used the ball this badly since 2004-2005 and we know what happened in those years. We need to go back to basics on the training track and work on our skill level because at the moment it's killing us.

Another thing that is really frustrating me is our constant emphasis to zone off our opponents as opposed to playing man on man footy where our opponents would be held more accountable for the way they dispose of the ball. As a result of zoning off the Essendon players today, they were able to create plenty of space to score easy goals. Before the first bye this year we weren't zoning off and it was impressive to watch but after the bye starting with the Adelaide match we've reverted back to zoning and I hate watching it. We should make our opponents accountable, not the other way round.

In regards to each position of the ground, our defence is struggling at the present time but generally I find there's nothing wrong with it overall. We have a young and up and coming defence that will improve as time goes on. Langdon, Frost, Williams and Seedsman all have bright futures so we look like we're on the right track when it comes to our defence. However in saying this I'm mind-boggled by the exclusion of Lachie Keefe. His performance against the Suns last week was ordinary admittedly but it was a stupid move by Bucks and the match committee to drop him especially with Essendon having two major tall forwards this week in Daniher and Carlisle (who usually plays in the defence).

When it comes to the midfield, we're seriously under-performing in this area of the ground. We have a good set of midfielders to plan our team around with the likes of Pendles and Beams leading the way but unfortunately the midfield as a whole is under performing and I don't understand why. From what I've observed, it's the lack of clearances that's killing us and our ball use has been deplorable to say the least. The likes of Pendles and Beams aren't as efficient with the ball as they have been in the past. Our midfield is still strong but at the present time it's under-performing to say the least.

In regards to the rucks, this is a work in progress especially with having two very young and inexperienced rucks at the moment. The future will be bright with Witts and Grundy in a few years but I'm weary our short-term prospects and how we'll be able to manage these two especially since ruckmans take a long time to fully develop as opposed to other players around the ground.

The biggest issue we have at the moment is our forward line which is deplorable to say the least. Losing Elliott has been massive for us and it puts Cloke under so much pressure to kick all our goals. Losing Elliott along with Reid and Fasolo has killed us at this area of the ground. This year we've only been able to score over 100 points in a match four times out of sixteen games altogether. That's 25% of our matches which is deplorable. This really further demonstrates why our young defence has done well to save us from losing or easing the losing margin in most of our games. Today our forward line was deplorable again despite having plenty of inside 50s throughout the day. We were only lost the inside 50 count 49 to 51 which shows the ball was in there but nothing came to fruition. Our forward line is disorganised, too reliant on one player to score all our goals and it doesn't pose an attacking presence to make opposition defenders accountable. This is one area of the ground that needs serious addressing or else it's going to be harder to win games if our forwards aren't performing in the future.

The umpiring was absolute bullshit today. Can anyone tell me what constitutes holding the ball these days? I swear every time we're pinged, the umpires pay it holding the ball, but if we lay a strong tackle then it's either a ball up, in the back or you've taken the opposition player high. While the free kick count will say that Essendon just won the free kick count 20-17 it doesn't help that at the crucial stage of the game they were on 13 to 2 free kicks one stage early in the second quarter which is grossly one-sided umpiring. The umpiring made absolutely no difference to the result but it was still deplorable and reached new lows that I couldn't imagine they could reach a few years ago. I absolutely lost it in the second quarter during certain parts of that quarter and the third quarter when Pendles was pinged and they paid a 50m penalty against him, I just knew that umpires had it in for us today. They are total pricks who never seem to pay us the free kicks that we deserve frequently!! They are ruining the enjoyment of this game.

In regards to certain individuals, something is seriously wrong with Dane Swan. If it isn't carrying an injury, he needs a stint in the VFL to regain some form. If he's injured, then rest him and give him the treatment he needs because this season is going nowhere at the moment. Lumumba is seriously becoming a liability. A lot of people criticise Blair which is warranted, but Lumumba is just as bad or even worse than Blair is at the moment and he's not receiving the criticism he deserves. He can't tackle, he always turns it over and generally he takes too many stupid risks which gets us nowhere. Blair is struggling and becoming a liability but he clearly wasn't our worse player today. Apart from his tackling ability, Goldy needs to do more to impact the game, Langdon is tiring but he's a young player so he deserves to be cut plenty of slack. Josh Thomas is plodding along but not progressing the way we hoped from last year, Jesse White was a liability yet again in the forward line despite a slight improvement from previous weeks and generally across the board, this whole side needs to improve if we want to play finals footy this year.

It was a really disappointing day even though I stayed the whole match and it's even harder to stomach when Essendon supporters are carrying on like pricks when they beat us. My response to all of them is that ASADA is waiting for you in the near future and at least we're '100% natural' unlike your drug infested team. I hate opposition fans who do that, I never brag to them in their face when we win but all of a sudden they feel the need to do it to me and yet everyone depicts us as scumbags as opposed to them. Today has pissed me off in general!

The bye is a good thing for us. Before today I wouldn't have said so but it's a good time to do some soul-searching, get some of our injured or sore players to rest up and to get back to doing the basics in training. The Adelaide game in two weeks is huge. If we don't show any improvement in that game, then this side is going nowhere and the future appears to be bleak!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day AFL Round 17 - Collingwood vs Essendon Matchday Discussion. (MCG 3.20pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back