Game Day AFL Round 5 - Matchday Discussion Essendon@Collingwood(MCG – 3:20PM)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s time for one of the highlight games on the AFL schedule. It’s time for the ANZAC Day showdown between Collingwood and Essendon. For the past 23 years, Collingwood and Essendon have fought some classics on this day, and this match looks set up to be yet another great game.

Collingwood and Essendon are coming off the back of brilliant wins, beating Adelaide and Port Adelaide respectively. The fact that both sides are in solid form makes this match all the more intriguing.

Collingwood

Collingwood managed to back up their solid win over Carlton two weeks ago with a scintillating win over the Adelaide Crows, at Adelaide Oval. Collingwood came into that game heavy underdogs yet managed to dominate the Crows and come away with an emphatic victory. Some experts rated it as Buckley’s finest victory as coach. Brodie Grundy was outstanding against premier ruckman Shaun Jacobs, as was rookie Jaidyn Stephenson, who kicked five goals in a rising star nomination performance. Collingwood just about dominated in each area against the Crows, with no real man letting the team down. As a result, the Magpies come into the game against Essendon unchanged. The area that the Magpies stood out last week was the clearances. At the start of the Buckley’s tenure at the Magpies, clearances were a major issue, but year by year the Magpies have improved into the second-best clearance team in the competition.

The man to watch for the Magpies is Mason Cox. On the stat sheet, it looked as if Cox had quite a poor performance against the Crows. Rarely troubling the statisticians. However, to those who watched the game, Cox put in a stellar performance in trying conditions, focusing on putting the ball on the deck, as opposed to trying to go for the mark. As a result, the small forwards were able to get easier access to the ball, allowing for easier scoring opportunities. Cox will be looking to do the same, as the Magpies are lacking talls, meaning that the small forwards will need to feed off the opportunities.

Essendon

Like Collingwood, Essendon have put in both brilliant performances, and bottom six worthy performances. Due to this, it is difficult to find a place for the Bombers in the AFL ladder. After their performance against the Crows in round one, it looked as if the Bombers were ready to jump into the top echelon of teams. However, this all came crashing down with a less than ideal performance against the Bulldogs. The Bombers did manage to regain some form, with a strong win over the Power. The much-maligned Jake Stringer bounced back into form resembling his All-Australian form with a four goal performance. Dyson Heppell and Michael Hurley also starred for the Bombers in a solid performance. Similar to the Magpies performance, the Bombers controlled the game from the outset, and despite a few dips throughout the game, never looked like losing the game to the Power. The injury to Fantasia could be crucial to Essendon. While the small forward has not been as electrifying to start the year in comparison to last season, he is a crucial component to the Essendon forward line.

The man to watch for the Bombers is Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti. A cult hero at Essendon, Tipungwuti has had some poor form this season, and is in dire need of a big game to show the coaches at the Bombers why he deserves a spot in the best 22. Joe Daniher is also someone to keep an eye on. Daniher dominated the Magpies in the last ANZAC Day meeting. Lynden Dunn has been excellent on key forwards this year, and will be looking to continue his form with a key scalp of Danhier.

Head to Head Odds

Collingwood: $1.81

Essendon: $2.05

TV

Live on Channel 7
Live on Fox Footy, Commercial Free

Radio

MMM
3AW
ABC
SEN

IPTV

AFL Live Pass

Foxtel Now

WatchAFL

ANZAC Day Ceremony

As is an annual tradition, their will be a ceremony before the game. The MCG recommends you get to your seat by about 2:55PM to ensure you don’t miss anything.

Tip

This is an absolute tossup. Collingwood is in the slightly better form with the win over the Crows.

Collingwood by 3.

Always get butterflies in my stomach before this game.

It's a must win IMO......no idea if we will.

Pies by a 1 point.

So much "grass" and carrots if you're right B H.

I will settle for beer.

I'm about four slabs in already and the walls are closing in. Time to fire up.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.

Lagers on tap off the shoulder of Orion.

German wheat beers glitter in a club near Tannhäuser Gate.

All those moments will be lost in time, like beers in rain.

Time to drink.

I'm supposed to release a ****ing dove now but I think the cat ate it.

No poetry in its soul, that cat.

Can't stress enough how huge of a turning point in the season a win tomorrow would be in terms of early W's and morale against Richmond. Honestly, if we played the way we did against the Crows there is not way we can go home without any chocolates.\

Pies by 7.

I will settle for beer.

I'm about four slabs in already and the walls are closing in. Time to fire up.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.

Lagers on tap off the shoulder of Orion.

German wheat beers glitter in a club near Tannhäuser Gate.

All those moments will be lost in time, like beers in rain.

Time to drink.

I'm supposed to release a ******* dove now but I think the cat ate it.

No poetry in its soul, that cat.

Beer is so much easier......cutting up grass and carrots is very time consuming.

Keep drinking.........I know I am.

Actually excited for a game, the first time in a long time. Last three weeks have been an improvement every week. If they can build on that and win it's huge for the boys!

Tomorrow we could realistically jump above Gold Coast, Freo, Sydney, Port, Adelaide and Hawks. With a decent margin we could push Hawks and Geelong (unless my maths is off.) If so someone correct me.

Jeez what a huge game this is, a solid win and we are right in the 8, a huge win ala Adelaide and we can go as high as 4th! (Fingers crossed) read in the sun the other day we Havnt been top 8 since 2015 at any point of a season, surely that's not true?!
This game can set up our whole year and the belief in the playing group.
Expect a big performance from trelore has realy been on a down hill since his first season just needs to be better (blunt harsh but true) and in Anzac tradition an outsider medal winner to the likes of JT Maynard or Phillips
realy hard to call this game but if can nullify their forwards with our new rock solid back structure it should be a walk in the park

Pies by 12

I have been excited for nearly 2 weeks now. But now im wondering if the long break will actually be a curse and we lose that momentum we had from the Adelaide game? I know both sides have had a long wait....but we were really up that i think if we played this game a week ago we would have defianatly won....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going to be watching this one from Canada, should be a cracking game and I think a real test to see if we have actually taken a step forward in our development or are we going to be teased again with poor performances following great wins. I feel like our last 3 weeks have been pretty solid right through the games instead of 20 mins of great footy here and there which I feel is different to last year where we were incredibly inconsistent within games. If we can put 120 mins of good footy together today I think we will get the chocolates and really set our season up.

Really excited to see if stephenson can back up his performance as well, looks to love the big occasion and it doesn't get much bigger than the MCG on ANZAC day. I also have a feeling Aish might have a big day to prove a lot of people wrong, big stage. Tipping 20 possessions and 2 goals.

Pies by 21.

Bring our form of the last 3 weeks we win, I just hope to 12 day break hasn’t halted to momentum we had built up.
ANZAC day is one of the great days on the calendar, to pay our respects to all who have gave their lives and served this wonderful country in war.
Then spend an afternoon watching a game of footy. Sounds perfect.

Going to be watching this one from Canada, should be a cracking game and I think a real test to see if we have actually taken a step forward in our development or are we going to be teased again with poor performances following great wins. I feel like our last 3 weeks have been pretty solid right through the games instead of 20 mins of great footy here and there which I feel is different to last year where we were incredibly inconsistent within games. If we can put 120 mins of good footy together today I think we will get the chocolates and really set our season up.

Really excited to see if stephenson can back up his performance as well, looks to love the big occasion and it doesn't get much bigger than the MCG on ANZAC day. I also have a feeling Aish might have a big day to prove a lot of people wrong, big stage. Tipping 20 possessions and 2 goals.

Pies by 21.
Where about in Canada are you?

Gimp and I are flying after Liverpool's effort this morning, and I feel confident that some of that magic will rub off on our side today.

Daniher is struggling and kicks behinds around the corner from 45 degree angles. Our midfield is better than theirs. We have the best ruckman since Dean Cox. Murray and Crisp have been the key to unlocking our running attacks from half back. Howe, Pendles and Treloar are playing selfless footy. Sidebottom is in Brownlow-worthy form. Aish and Scharenberg have made significant steps up this year. Stephenson is a star in the making. De Goey is back and will be a weapon for the remainder of the year. Brown is looking at home in the AFL.

Admittedly I'm massively amped up on coffee and Mo Salah, but I can feel a season-defining win today, folks.

Will be very interested to see if Cox will go for his marks today or continue to palm the ball to the runners. Had a huge impact on the game allowing us quick ball movement without the need to stop and go behind the mark often generated overlap.
For the first time i see genuine value in the big fella ,go pies bring our A game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back