Preview AFL Round 6 Sydney Swans V Brisbane Lions Official Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

All good thoughts guys, although the whole Bradshaw things is definitely being overplayed by the media and bigfooty in general.

My thoughts for what they're worth:
* Got smashed in the centre again for most of the first half. I guess we can only hope that Vossy & the staff are seeing it as a HUGE problem like the rest of us are and not just hoping it sorts itself out. Good we were able to break even for the rest of the game.
* The 2 goals to Goodes & Bradshaw (one from a dodgy mark and the other from some dodgy scragging in the centre) really killed any momentum we had.
* Bradshaw had a very good game but can't forget that he got some brutal delivery, kicked half his goals while being marked by what would be our 3rd choice defender (with Merrett out and Maguire off), and was a focal point up forward. I for one am not surprised he is thriving in that environment. Saying that, Fev marked and disposed of it badly, had shocking delivery but still managed 4. Would Braddie have offered us that? Maybe, maybe not.
* Rich needs some guidance, he is constantly chasing his man to the ball. Vossy or someone needs to just tell him to go after the loose ball when he's in best position.

In summary: We are not far off it...our forward line can be deadly (with the addition of Banfield and Polky) and WILL WORK if we just can break even in the middle. The problem is when we lose the midfield battle we don't just lose gracefully, we look lost. I think generally we need a bit more team work in the centre. Sydney players always knew where to run in the congestion and always had 2 or 3 players there to help the run out of the pack and they bloke for their ball winners just like Carlton.

Oh and I like Staker in the backline (if we continue to play him) and Polks up forward.

The turning point of the game was in the third quarter and i think we were down by 10 points and fevola dropped a easy chest mark and then the ball went straight to the other way and K.Jack kicks that flukey goal. If fevola marked it and goaled we would have cut back the margin to only four points and i honestly think we would of won from there.

Also i would like to add we should have got alot more more freekicks in our forward 50. How many times we caught them in their 50 the umpire just didnt wanna give it. I remember when Raines was caught in our 50 by K.Jack and the umpire did not hesitate to give it.

and if Daniel Bradshaw tried kicking a torpedo in 50 times he'll only kick it once.

Good call L4F...happy to be called a sook or a whinger and it's hard to tell on TV but Fev was murdered by the umps last night even if you ignore the obvious ones pointed out by commentary team.

Bradshaw v Fervola - Loyalties or emotion aside. Fevola was up against one of our two best defenders sounds crazy to say LRT is one of our best but this season Craig Bolton is usually taking the small gun forwards with Grundy and LRT to take the big jobs. The commentary team suggested some unseen frees so can't comment there. Richards did a fine job of getting in front of Fev to help out. Fevola still managed four majors when what is probably considred a down night that is the quality of player you have. He is a knob in the media but a great footballer how Carlton let him go is beyond me. The way he picked one of the swans up after giving away the free and last year checked on Craig Bolton when he hurt him makes me a little more respectful for the guy than some of the flogs.

Bradshaw had a great night but was not playing on your best defender for his style of play. Strength is his biggest asset so body on body he will beat the smaller frames. Maguire was very god on him. Amazing goal he kicked I'm sure you all agree but I bet you were all spitting chips that he got the opportunity as he clearly didn't complete the mark. I'm very happy to see him come to our club had he not I think we would be in a bit of bother relying on Jessie White in the role.

Bradshaw will retire a great servant for the Lions and a welcome addition as a Swan. Fevola will then still be playing kicking goals for the Lions. We all feared a line up of Brown, Fevola, Bradshaw but well it didn't come about. Brown Fevola is the better result than any other combination even if for purely longevity that you will see. This could be the start of something very big. Bown and Fevola still going strong when some of your younger guys have more games under their belt. You are likely to be a consistent top four team for the next few many years. Which means wins > Losses finals at the Gabba and the chance to experience premiership glory for a fourth time in a ten year period.

Swans did very well getting Bradshaw to eplace the quality of losing Micky O But the Lions have secured a longer term future in gaining Fev. Very tough for you guys to lose one of your greats but you have picked up an absolute champion footballer in Fev and when he kicks on e of those insane 10 goal games when he is on you will soon be just remembering Bradshaw as more of a legend that served you well such as that amazing comeback against Port in the rain a few years back.

I hated Plugger coming to the Swans complete mungrel of a guy broke one of our players jaws suspension etc but wasn't long and I was buying books on the guy because he was kicking bags for the Swans. Same thing will happen with Fev.

Jeepers I've gone on a bit but hope you see my point.

Good luck for the reat of the season I watch every Lions game due to the household I live in so will be watching with interest.

As a newby on BF you have to go easy on me here...

Prett much everything that needed to be said about the game has been said,
however I will give my 2 bob worth fwiw...

I love Vossy like everyone else on here, however I am seriously getting sick of players
being picked based on games played.

IMHO I think our depth is no better than last year... or best 22 is really our best 22 and injuries are starting to kill us. If someone goes missing for whatever reason on the field or off we are shown to be second rate.... no excuses. Also feel that we were in fact a better TEAM last year than now (sick of all this: team still gelling crap, sydney seem to be copping fine).

Fev: hoping for a spot in the world cup.

Brown: typical example of a player deciding they are fit to play rather than the meds deciding (and this statment also applies to idiots concussed on the field then coming back on 10 mins later with no idea what solar system the are in)

Bradshaw: was my favorite lion for a reason. Grrr

Speed: We don't have any

Ball Skills: have been neglected

Goal Kicking: like every team, never gets any attention and thus is sh**

Banfield = brilliant and pob won win rising star nominations cause he's not in a vic team.

thats all.

go easy on me...

As a newby on BF you have to go easy on me here...

Prett much everything that needed to be said about the game has been said,
however I will give my 2 bob worth fwiw...

I love Vossy like everyone else on here, however I am seriously getting sick of players
being picked based on games played.

IMHO I think our depth is no better than last year... or best 22 is really our best 22 and injuries are starting to kill us. If someone goes missing for whatever reason on the field or off we are shown to be second rate.... no excuses. Also feel that we were in fact a better TEAM last year than now (sick of all this: team still gelling crap, sydney seem to be copping fine).

Brown: typical example of a player deciding they are fit to play rather than the meds deciding (and this statment also applies to idiots concussed on the field then coming back on 10 mins later with no idea what solar system the are in)

Bradshaw: was my favorite lion for a reason. Grrr

Speed: We don't have any

Ball Skills: have been neglected

Goal Kicking: like every team, never gets any attention and thus is sh**

Banfield = brilliant and pob won win rising star nominations cause he's not in a vic team.

thats all.

go easy on me...

I'll go easy on you, but...

you had a number of outs last night, Sherman always carves us up, was a pretty big out

3 of bradshaws goals came when patful was playing on him, (and was pretty much the end margin) was pretty well held after Goose came back on the ground and went to him

Brown played a captains game at many times was seemingly the only player who could buy a goal, I think Grundy played well on him, but browns just a champ.

I'll ignore fev since i think a few of his goals were more luck than anything, and he dropped enough marks, but getting 4 goals from a forward who is having a down day isnt a bad reward.

also

Banfield will have to get a RS nom sometime, had a killer game last night, and along with Brown was probably close to BOG for you.

I love Vossy like everyone else on here, however I am seriously getting sick of players being picked based on games played.

Its starting to become evident and I am lost as to why. Buchanan clearly should not have played at the expense of Rockliff/Hanley. I think it also extends to playing games injured such as Brown last week, Adcock in round 2 I think and Merrett who by all accounts had a slight hamstring strain.

Also feel that we were in fact a better TEAM last year than now (sick of all this: team still gelling crap, sydney seem to be copping fine).

Couldn't agree more, you don't hear those typical one-liners being wheeled out by the Swans, yet there are plenty who roll out that 'taking time to gel crap regularly.

Can't fault that he is scoring goals, but besides the goals, he does it alot...pick the bloody thing up and stop being afraid of getting down and dirty. A third of his goals would have come from 'soccer' style goals but I tell you what I wouldn't mind if he started taking a mark. People say delivery has been poor, but I also seem to recall him dropping a lot of sitters this year, which is uncharaterstic to previous years.

I would love to see Banfield moved into the midfield for maybe a 5 to 10 minute spell every quarter. He is hard in a contest, has an incredible burst of speed and seems very confident in his ability to burn opponents.

I know from a source that rich has been given a more defensive role this year. It seems to have stuttered his progress but i am sure it will help in the long run as a player.

Redden doesn't look fully fit for me and i would think about resting him.

I also think we work better with one ruckman. I wouldn't mind putting mMitch down back off halfback for the majority of the game and have Leuey ruck the majority.

Rischa stepped up when black was injured but since black came back he has been average at best. Rischa needs to have a 25+ disposal game with black in the team. I would love to see some consistency in his game.

Should be interesting next weekend against the Dockers. Can't wait :)

If we can't beat Freo next week with them ona 6 day break after playing a physical derby then questions should be asked.

Have to admit that I'm rapidly developing a pretty serious man crush on Goose.

I really thought he'd be shown up for pace by Bradshaw but he stood up for us. A good man to have when the chips are down.

If we can't beat Freo next week with them ona 6 day break after playing a physical derby then questions should be asked.

Have seen a few comments like this. Have people actually been watching Freo play?!

I think we'll get up if only because it is at the gabba, but it is not a gimme as in years gone by.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to admit that I'm rapidly developing a pretty serious man crush on Goose.

I really thought he'd be shown up for pace by Bradshaw but he stood up for us. A good man to have when the chips are down.

Yeah for sure. Goose showed a fair bit of heart after being flattened to go onto Bradshaw and cut down his influence.

Bradshaw tore apart Patful, but Goose did a very good job on him when he was moved onto him.

Great pick up for the Lions. :thumbsu:

thanks for going easy on me guys (bad spelling and all) :eek:

Great pick up for the Lions :thumbsu:

Yep, the goose is way better than the gander (Macdonald). Sorry, couldn't help myself... he is proving the better pick out of all the drafts for us thus far...

just forced myself to watch the vossy post mach conference.
Sounds like they actually did the right thing for a change re shermo's injury.
Learning from earlier mistakes?

I do expect a win against the Dockers based on travel, short turnaround, home advantage etc... and shermo/addy?

Just on the point of risca: I can't fault his endeavour thus far however I never
really expected him to become a consistent mid legend because he was never going to be, so anything he can give extra is gold. Will never be a Black. Wish I was a geneticist, I'd be doing some serious cloning right about now...

Big of a wakeup call when opposition supporters are trying to put things in perspective for us.

Like Grim said, this place is depressing as hell after a loss.

Swans fans are a good bunch. :thumbsu:

Mate after you came on our board after round 22 last year as a gracious victor and singing the praises of the Swans fans, I think it does a lot for having respect for other clubs when you post on their boards. Seems a fair amount of mutual respect between the teams (Kirk Black for example) and to a lesser extent the fans. There are a few other boards I wouldn't go near after a win or loss but the Lions board is always a good place to review and discuss. All the best:thumbsu:

Woah :eek: > massive overeactions on here :thumbsdown:

We lost away to the team 1st on the ladder by 20pts with:

• No Merrett
  • No Sherman
  • No Adcock
  • Brown @ 75% fitness
  • Power, Black and Buchanan working their way back after injury
  • Patfull adding to the key defensive crisis during the game
Whilst never happy with a loss, I think the positives outweigh the negatives:

• Brown looking better
  • Clark/Leuenberger beginning to look formidable at times
  • Maguire getting better with every game
  • Rich finding ways to beat tags (at certain stages)
  • The team as a whole never giving in no matter what the score
As long as we don't lose any from this game and Adcock & Sherman come in against Freo, well I'm tipping an easy win by 40+ points :thumbsu:
Panthera makes some good points. There are some positives to be taken out of the last quarter. While I'm not happy with the Bradshaw trade, its done and he's gone. Its the delivery into the forward line that is crappy. The centre clearances are killing us at the moment. Hopefully getting Sherman, Adcock and Charman back with give us greater options. I think Brennan does better when he is loose in the centre.

Was interesting to see Fev trying so hard to psych himself into the game he was hi fiving Sydney kids behind the goals after he kicked one.

Was interesting to see Fev trying so hard to psych himself into the game he was hi fiving Sydney kids behind the goals after he kicked one.

Ha ha....that was hilarious.:D

What was even funnier, was that I do believe they were high-fiving him back.

Always a hit with the kids is our Fev....even with the ones barracking for the opposition.:D

The turning point of the game was in the third quarter and i think we were down by 10 points and fevola dropped a easy chest mark and then the ball went straight to the other way and K.Jack kicks that flukey goal. If fevola marked it and goaled we would have cut back the margin to only four points and i honestly think we would of won from there.

Also i would like to add we should have got alot more more freekicks in our forward 50. How many times we caught them in their 50 the umpire just didnt wanna give it. I remember when Raines was caught in our 50 by K.Jack and the umpire did not hesitate to give it.

and if Daniel Bradshaw tried kicking a torpedo in 50 times he'll only kick it once.

If it's the one I'm thinking off (it might not be), I remember the ball slipping through his arms when he went for a stationary chest mark... but he'd only JUST wrestled his opponent away, to actually give himself a chance to mark it, and simply couldn't get his arms in place in time.

Not sure about how clogged our forwardline was at the time, was if he had space in front, you can blame the delivery for that one. Not much Fev could've done.

Fev got mainly shit delivery all night and apart from that one "sitter" he dropped, there were not any other marks that he dropped that you could call "regulation"

Despite all the hype about Bradshaw, I can't imagine he would have done anywhere as well as Fev had he been in our forward line instead of Sydney's.

Just can't imagine Braddy pulling out those soccer goals the way Fev did.

Way too much being made of the Bradshaw "fairytale".

The fact is that he was offered a reasonable contract by the Lions , that he turned down, in favor of a more lucrative one from Sydney....the "big bad Voss screwed me over" routine is getting rather tiresome.:thumbsdown:

The fact is that he was offered a reasonable contract by the Lions , that he turned down, in favor of a more lucrative one from Sydney....the "big bad Voss screwed me over" routine is getting rather tiresome.:thumbsdown:

And I thought I was the only one who thought this way. I'm hoping Bradshaw will in future see the trade offer put forward to Carlton for Fev for what it was: a business deal. Nothing personel.

And I thought I was the only one who thought this way. I'm hoping Bradshaw will in future see the trade offer put forward to Carlton for Fev for what it was: a business deal. Nothing personel.
Can I add a "me too". While Bradshaw was an awesome player for us, this deal was 'just business' and the reality is he has done pretty well out of it. Bradshaw will long be remembered as a fantastic player for us over a long period.

As for Fev, he is doing things Bradshaw wouldn't (the soccer goals being the obvious example) and despite all the crap being thrown his way, he has still kicked 21 goals in 6 games - not a bad return with the lack of service he has endured in the last couple of weeks.

21 from 6, keeps that up we're looking at 75+ for the year.

hardly bad.

just need some others to step up and contribute also unlike the last couple weeks :\

Lol we suck at being rivals, even after we win our supporters are coming in here patting you guys on the back:rolleyes:

In all seriousness I like it, most opposition boards are impossible and if you have any conflicting opinions you get carded even if you put it across in a respectable manner. Here the discussion is usually healthy and there's very little animosity regardless of which side wins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview AFL Round 6 Sydney Swans V Brisbane Lions Official Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back