AFL should take advantage of western sydney now!

Remove this Banner Ad

Footy Rules Australia

Senior List
Mar 9, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
How is western Sydney considered so NRL dominant when only 18,000 bother to turn up to a local derby game between two WS heavyweights (Bulldogs and Tigers) the other night.

Another WS club, the Panthers, attracted 7,000 last night.

Bring on a 2nd Sydney AFL team immediately. The Swans attract between 40-70,000 when they take their games out west.

How is western Sydney considered so NRL dominant when only 18,000 bother to turn up to a local derby game between two WS heavyweights (Bulldogs and Tigers) the other night.

Another WS club, the Panthers, attracted 7,000 last night.

Bring on a 2nd Sydney AFL team immediately. The Swans attract between 40-70,000 when they take their games out west.

The Swans are an established Sydney team so already have a supporter base and the games that Sydney play in the west are usually against the Magpies and Bombers. Both of these clubs have alot of supporters fly up for the game.

swans are an event. that is what the big games at homebush are billed as.

i was at the gf replay in rd 1 (can't believe i went to a swans match outside a final or against essendon) and witnessed the crowd perform the mexican wave, and the chant of "boring, boring" even went up while the eagles were putting on a clinic of how footy should be played, absolutely trouncing the swans.

they are based at the scg in moore park, easily accessible to the eastern suburbs and inner west, and have a good following from the north shore where residents actually have a disposable income. i'd say there is a hardcore set of 15k-20k who regularly go to matches, but the bulk of these people are so freaken goodie goodies, it makes me sick.

western sydney is the mortgage belt and predominately made up of families who generally can't afford the cost of taking the family out to the footy regularly and i would say the proportion of swans fans who make their way from parramatta or beyond to the scg is very small.

one thing for sure. should a 2nd team ever play out of sydney, it cannot be under the bulldogs moniker. a club in sydney alreasy exists and it would be marketing suicide.

one thing for sure. should a 2nd team ever play out of sydney, it cannot be under the bulldogs moniker. a club in sydney alreasy exists and it would be marketing suicide.[/quote]

Exactly right.

I was involved in footy out west back in the 90's when North melbourne were making inroads. It appeared to me that the Swans were saboutaging what they were doing.

one thing for sure. should a 2nd team ever play out of sydney, it cannot be under the bulldogs moniker. a club in sydney alreasy exists and it would be marketing suicide.

Exactly right.

I was involved in footy out west back in the 90's when North melbourne were making inroads. It appeared to me that the Swans were saboutaging what they were doing.

Did you go and watch your own mob the night they played the Roos at the SCG?

I did, official crowd was around 7,000, the actual crowd was half that and mostly Richmond supporters.

Shame really, Wayne Carey took us apart that night, and really put on a show that could have won a few people over.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL should take advantage of western sydney now!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back