AFL Silver Membership Waitlist Number Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if they’re canvassing opinion for all these different membership options to cope with the years to come when the reserve has even less seating due to a Great Southern/Shane Warne stand rebuild.

Personally I think the biggest issue is AFL members scalping (or giving away) their tickets to non-members or lower tiered members. They really don’t enforce the “non-transferable” aspect of the memberships much outside of token checks. Personally think that they should switch the photo ID like the MCC and maybe that will cut down on the swarm of non-competing golds rushing for tickets to onsell as the risk is bigger.

I did the survey last night and wish I had of not sent it in because I just thought of a heap of feedback I wish I added.

Although if they take away the Gold guarantee and make it a ballot (I've already got priority 1 GF guarantee on my membership through the club) there would be no point of waiting to go gold because the biggest draw card has been eroded.

Would probably think about dropping the AFL membership if they did that

I'd love to know who is getting these tickets.

Start of the season, it was very clear complete randoms were using the AFL section. the queues were massive and people seemed to have no idea what gate to use, where to walk, and most people were slackjawed idiots – it was obvious it was just a different demographic. they cleaned it up very quickly though. not sure if it was rumour or confirmed, but the idea that individual clubs were selling their AFL ticket allocations to GA was a theory I got behind.

But even now... I was in the top tier and for a fully ticketed game, most of the empty seats were in big groups of four to ten. I'm a young-ish man who likes his footy, a beer, and even I only meet AFL members in passing – it really isn't that common of a membership. the idea a group of five are all members and have all cleared their schedule for a game is a bit rare. even when I get a guest pass, it's more expensive than a GA so I just get a friend or family member to buy me a beer and we call it a quiet even.

So where are these people coming from?

The crew of lads in front of me tonight who were from Bunbury had never even been to the MCG before. how are they getting into the AFL Members area? they're not corporates, they're not even club supporters. I'd love to know what's going on.

The crew of lads in front of me tonight who were from Bunbury had never even been to the MCG before. how are they getting into the AFL Members area? they're not corporates, they're not even club supporters. I'd love to know what's going on.
You could ask AFL. If enough of us do it they might start listening.
Or they might kick you out.

Could be corporate freebies. All corp freebies are in AFL members. You can tell very easily who is a real AFL member and who isn't.

Sat with some friends today in the Public reserve and noticed lots of weird gaps, especially on Level 4. The three level 2 bays we get were full though which looked funny with the barely half full Medallion Club seats either side. I understand the weather was crap, but the game was standing room only when i looked last night and the last bay was mostly empty up the top and that would’ve been sold with the forecast pretty obvious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sat with some friends today in the Public reserve and noticed lots of weird gaps, especially on Level 4. The three level 2 bays we get were full though which looked funny with the barely half full Medallion Club seats either side. I understand the weather was crap, but the game was standing room only when i looked last night and the last bay was mostly empty up the top and that would’ve been sold with the forecast pretty obvious.
Yeah it was weird. 12 seats in front of us L4 Row C just empty. Good for me to move but not for punters missing out

From the survey sent out.. my responses.

• Providing an option with access to a maximum of only 20 games (as opposed to 40) – Neutral
  • An option to enable members to purchase a guaranteed a Grand Final ticket, regardless of their team of support – No, club supports should have this right
  • Grand Final tickets being available via a ballot system rather than an on-sale - NO
  • Grand Final tickets ONLY being available to AFL Members whose team of support is playing in the Grand Fina - NO
  • Priority access to all Finals ticketing to AFL Members whose team is playing - YES
  • Reducing the access to any 30 AFL games (as opposed to 40) - Neutral
  • A Gather Round ticket package being included as an opt-in for AFL Members - Yes
  • small allocation of tickets being used for a Grand Final Ballot, regardless of member’s team of support - Yes
  • A Grand Final ticket ballot system that rewards the level of engagement and attendance over the season Yes
  • A transferable membership option NO

• Digital broadcast access being included in AFL membership - Yes
  • The option to add on increased Interstate access to your AFL Membership at an additional cost Neutral
  • An AFLW Membership being offered as a separate product to AFL Membership No
  • Introduction of a points or loyalty system that rewards attendance and unlocks other features and benefits for members - Yes

From the survey sent out.. my responses.

• A Grand Final ticket ballot system that rewards the level of engagement and attendance over the season Yes
id be very cautious on this one, would encourage people to lend their memberships or ask people to scan their barcodes just to show they have attended when they actually haven’t , to get their attendance up

id be very cautious on this one, would encourage people to lend their memberships or ask people to scan their barcodes just to show they have attended when they actually haven’t , to get their attendance up
Agreed. I would do just that with my kids' tickets when they can't make it or my own ticket when I am otherwise planning to scan in at gate 3 with my Richmond reserved seat ticket.
The reward is that the more you go, the better the value of membership IMO.

If there's a waiting list for Gold membership, I don't understand why there can't be a waiting list for GF access if you're a competing club support member.

I wouldn't mind waiting a few more years for gold membership and a much increased chance of going to the GF every year, if, somewhere between that and actually getting the membership, I'll be able to use it to go to a Dogs GF.

You can burn this off by not promoting silvers to gold just yet, but promoting them to silver plus. Then when golds die off, you can promote from silver plus to gold at a certain rate (say 1/2 of the rate from silver to gold plus).

So say Gold takes 25 years waiting list, but silver plus takes 15-20 years waiting list, as it stands, or whatever

Maybe a ballot could be introduced among members within the silver plus system with a reasonable chance of getting a ticket (say 1/3+% chance)

This seems a lot more reasonable than the systems they've suggested in the survey.

TBH - as a gold member long as i am guaranteed a GF seat if the blues make it I'm happy.. if changes were to happen. the way i would like to see it is:
  • Platinum Member: (30-40 plus years) - capped at 2-3000 members: Guaranteed GF ticket if want it.
  • Gold Club Supporter: First Crack at tickets when they go on sale. Due to volume of big 4 members would be very hard to guarantee a ticket
  • Gold (other) / Silver Plus (clubs support) - left over GF tickets.
  • Restrict changing club support, maybe once every 5 years.

If there's a waiting list for Gold membership, I don't understand why there can't be a waiting list for GF access if you're a competing club support member.

I wouldn't mind waiting a few more years for gold membership and a much increased chance of going to the GF every year, if, somewhere between that and actually getting the membership, I'll be able to use it to go to a Dogs GF.

You can burn this off by not promoting silvers to gold just yet, but promoting them to silver plus. Then when golds die off, you can promote from silver plus to gold at a certain rate (say 1/2 of the rate from silver to gold plus).

So say Gold takes 25 years waiting list, but silver plus takes 15-20 years waiting list, as it stands, or whatever

Maybe a ballot could be introduced among members within the silver plus system with a reasonable chance of getting a ticket (say 1/3+% chance)

This seems a lot more reasonable than the systems they've suggested in the survey.
I think you have a good suggestion. The problem is that there are 30000 Gold members with less than 1000 a year getting promoted. If the AFL allocate Golds only 16000 tickets or so (a disgrace) then to you are looking at at least 14 years and probably more like 25 years of no promotions to ensure this would work.
As an alternative I would like to see an incentive for Golds not to attend (eg discount the next year) with tickets then being made available to silvers with competing club support. Proceeds would cover the discount.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Silver Membership Waitlist Number Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back