AFL Silver Membership Waitlist Number Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Will be interesting to see if there's a bit of movement in the queues if we have several years without Victorian teams in the GF or if Richmond/Collingwood fail to make finals consistently. You'd think both Gold members giving up memberships and Silvers dropping out may be part of it, especially if there becomes a bit of terminal velocity of people dropping out of even low waiting list numbers because they don't believe that there's any movement toward getting closer to Gold.

Will be interesting to see if there's a bit of movement in the queues if we have several years without Victorian teams in the GF or if Richmond/Collingwood fail to make finals consistently. You'd think both Gold members giving up memberships and Silvers dropping out may be part of it, especially if there becomes a bit of terminal velocity of people dropping out of even low waiting list numbers because they don't believe that there's any movement toward getting closer to Gold.
Pies don't drop off. Everyone else will, but Pies are the constant

Pies don't drop off. Everyone else will, but Pies are the constant
Finals ticketing/Gold status aside, it helps when you consistently know that you play 14 of your home and away games in the stadium. A guarantee to that extent isn't true for other teams, I suppose, and the AFL membership benefits at Docklands just doesn't compare.

Finals ticketing/Gold status aside, it helps when you consistently know that you play 14 of your home and away games in the stadium. A guarantee to that extent isn't true for other teams, I suppose, and the AFL membership benefits at Docklands just doesn't compare.
Yep, and it's clear to see with their average MCG game...Packed to the rafters.

Doubt it, will probably move the way of the MCC with wait lists getting longer and longer, especially now with Bronze officially becoming the third tier and not some extra side piece. Collingwood members will still hold it because it can get them Anzac Day access (even if they whinge when they miss out assuming they should have priority, if anyone should for big games it’s any gold member).

I’m more interested in what happens when the Warne Stand gets rebuilt.

You might get a Level 1 seat and a bar at best.

Wouldn't mind AFL members getting moved to MCC (Bay directly next to the public area) whilst its getting rebuilt. And only AFL members not the freebie/corps
Doubt the MCC will let us in, we don’t have collars. My assumption is it’ll just be access to the public reserve with seat upgrades being AFL Reserve prices.

Obviously I'm a bit of a no one, but I get to do a little bit with the MCC/MCG through work and they seem very very timid about expecting a Shane Warne Stand rebuild. there just isn't the money or appetite for it. seems more likely there'll be a half-arsed 'face lift.'

(Someone else also said they expect a 60,000 oval stadium at Swan Street to come first...)

Obviously I'm a bit of a no one, but I get to do a little bit with the MCC/MCG through work and they seem very very timid about expecting a Shane Warne Stand rebuild. there just isn't the money or appetite for it. seems more likely there'll be a half-arsed 'face lift.'

(Someone else also said they expect a 60,000 oval stadium at Swan Street to come first...)
The stand must have a rebuild. It needs facility upgrades and escalators and the rest. The reserve currently has it the worst

That might explain why Level 2A randomly
got new seats recently.

Only thing the Warne Stand has that’s better are the Level 2 cupholders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why get angry about something that's been happening for 10+ years? This isn't new.
We should get angry because we pay for the membership and get treated like peasants by the AFL. AFL members should demand accountability from the AFL, if we just let them get away with it they will keep diluting our membership. There are 60k of us, we pay good money for the membership, when you add in the cost of a GF ticket we pay around the same as MCC members yet have far worse facilities and far fewer privileges.

That's precisely how I got first dibs on tickets for Pies V Lions GF last year.

Yeah it used to suck getting Pendlebury on the cover of your membership card and getting an annual Collingwood scarf but you learn to get over it.
Blasphemy!

Reckon that's why the AFL are threatening checks with no clear way to conduct them?
All they have to do is get everyone with a ticket purchased with an AFL Membership to go in via one gate and everyone else to go through the other and check every single person who goes through that gate. Ticketek would know which tickets were sold to AFL Members.

i remember the old old days of lining up / camping out ..
I remember when they kept an allocation for phone in transactions. I reckon I purchased GF tickets twice while standing and waiting in a queue.

And there was also the self-serving tossers at Sable’s Pharmacy in Coburg who processed GF seats for their staff members before allowing the rest of us to scrap for tickets.

I’m more interested in what happens when the Warne Stand gets rebuilt.
Yes and what the outcome of the investigation/report by Cain Liddle that was commissioned by the AFL is.

And whether they will offer upgrades to anyone this year or they are already starting to restrict the number of full members in anticipation of the Southern Stand rebuild. When I asked they were very cagey to say the number of full members is capped at 30k and that hasn't changed. There's obviously a difference between being "capped" and the number of actual members.

From the minutes of the AFL meeting with AFL Members Association in Feb 2024

5. The AFL has said previously that Gold and Silver membership numbers will be capped at thirty thousand each. What are the current numbers for each membership category, and should this number gradually be reviewed and reduced (down) for Gold members, as many Gold members are still missing out on finals tickets.
We suggest the AFL strongly consider that the ceiling for Silver membership be lowered and capped immediately and a lower annual waiting list fee for new “Silver” members be commenced that does not provide access to high demand classified games. The demand for tickets for many high demand games is unable to be met currently.

Consultants led by Cain Little have been engaged as a priority to address the future of all the areas involved with Gold and Silver and other AFL Membership Categories in order that a better product for AFL members in the future might be achieved.
Currently sitting at 26000 Gold and 23000 Silver members (capped at 30,000 each)
AFL Membership last year had 97% retention.

Attachments

• AFL Meeting Feb 7 2024 response_240903_155659.pdf
    42 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
That might explain why Level 2A randomly
got new seats recently.

Only thing the Warne Stand has that’s better are the Level 2 cupholders.
Those cup holders are useful as balls on a cow. They make it impossible to move up and down the row when all are seated.

Someone had a theory here a few weeks ago that I reckon has legs - that being that tightening up the Absentee membership rort has forced members into paying their gold membership fees, thus significantly reducing the vacancies available for upgrades. It makes a lot of sense.

Someone had a theory here a few weeks ago that I reckon has legs - that being that tightening up the Absentee membership rort has forced members into paying their gold membership fees, thus significantly reducing the vacancies available for upgrades. It makes a lot of sense.
Covid stuffed up the system
What ever happened to that event they promised

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Silver Membership Waitlist Number Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back