News AFL to overhaul the draft, discuss changes to Academy and FS bid matching

Remove this Banner Ad

When do the changes get announced?
Hurry Up GIF

Kinnear Beetson was talking about the NGA's on gettable. He seemed a bit critical, was saying he wants to be told what the criteria is for being NGA as he doesn't know what it is, what the rules are for being eligible for it for a club to claim somebody.

Last edited:
You do realise that Melbourne teams give up some home ground advantage by playing in front of smaller crowds when they take games away form their main home stadium? North are far less likely to win without the noise of affirmation of a few disinterested Hobartites compared to a crowd of tens of thousands of more of actual North fans who make noise in Melbourne?

So what?

And forcing WA teams to travel even further to northern Antartica is just another long trip to play in substandard conditions and lose exposure to Melborne grounds. A crap outcome that some Vic teams never have to put up with. The lucky Melbourne clubs away game has them back home and tucked into bed while returning WA based players still have another 3 hours to fly and then the time to get home.

But don't stand between the AFL and another dollar. You won't live to tell the tale.

Some of the posts in here are so strange. It’s not like it’s the AFL’s fault that some of you chose to live in one of the most isolated major cities on the planet

Because of that the teams are going to have to travel to play where a majority of the other teams are based. You’re not owed anything by anyone because of that

Kinnear Beetson was talking about the NGA's on gettable. He seemed a bit critical, was saying he wants to be told what the criteria is for being NGA as he doesn't know what it is, what the rules are for being eligible for it for a club to claim somebody.

One of the parents from overseas / indigenous / multicultural background right?

So what?

And forcing WA teams to travel even further to northern Antartica is just another long trip to play in substandard conditions and lose exposure to Melborne grounds. A crap outcome that some Vic teams never have to put up with. The lucky Melbourne clubs away game has them back home and tucked into bed while returning WA based players still have another 3 hours to fly and then the time to get home.

But don't stand between the AFL and another dollar. You won't live to tell the tale.
So what as in it makes the away team that much more likely to win, which is what WA teams complain about when they have to do extra travel?

Are the any " in the know" people who can let us know what the likely outcome is on this

I have my doubts it happens this year as it's typical AFL make a decision you clowns. Maybe the clubs have been told but that's giving the AFL more credit than I usually do.

One of the parents from overseas / indigenous / multicultural background right?

Surely there has to be criteria... I mean Essendon have 3 NGAs whose father played 185 AFL games and is a current AFL umpire. You can't tell me his kids wouldn't know what footy is or how to play it without Essendon taking them in their academy?

Surely there has to be criteria... I mean Essendon have 3 NGAs whose father played 185 AFL games and is a current AFL umpire. You can't tell me his kids wouldn't know what footy is or how to play it without Essendon taking them in their academy?

I'm totally supportive of the idea that these kids haven't seen a Sherrin in their life since they were born and Essendon bought them their first sherrin / jumper / free member kit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bolded bit is likely to be introduced this year since AFLW has got it. It's a fair rule change as long as future picks are allowed to be used in bid match.

For example we hold our first this year and we match Ashcroft. If Marshall becomes a late first round bid, we'll have the option of using our future first to match him if he's highly rated by the club. Our current pick is 16, let's say we have a Collingwood like season next year and end up with pick 5/6/7, then it'll balance out to look like we paid 5/6/7 for Ashcroft and pick 16 for Marshall which is likely to be a lot closer to fair value.

More importantly we've used the first rounders this year and next so there'll be no second bite of the cherry unless we end up trading someone of value from our list.

This rule is fair and we need the same to be introduced for NGAs as well. For example if Essendon gets Kako via NGA bid match in first round, they need to make a decision whether to match it via 2024 first (if yet to be used) or 2025 first, in the process use their corresponding first rounder.
I had actually thought of that because if a FS/Academy bid comes at Pick 18 then they would have to dip into their futures to match. It would mean the next draft would only have 18 first round picks less the number of futures used in the previous draft. It would make early second rounders more valuable as they would effectively become 1st round picks.

I had actually thought of that because if a FS/Academy bid comes at Pick 18 then they would have to dip into their futures to match. It would mean the next draft would only have 18 first round picks less the number of futures used in the previous draft. It would make early second rounders more valuable as they would effectively become 1st round picks.
The downside I see to this is that there essentially wont be any 2nd round. Much like how there's barely a 3rd or 4th round now. All those picks swept away on bids. Really the only meaningful change is the 5 year limit on NGA players making clubs investment time being rewarded on any generational NGA/Academy player.

Would be nice if they worked out how to weave in public school kids only as a criteria.

I'd be much more comfortable clubs essentially getting free hits across the board if it was indigenous, or (both parents from multicultural background), or public school background - have that criteria and NGA's will grow the game, and that's a good thing.

NGA's are a rort. Name one NGA draftee that was brought into the underage system by an AFL club and nurtured through that junior pathway. They are all already in the junior pathway before clubs ever know of their existence.

All the clubs do is scour the talent pathways for kids that fit the pathetic eligibility criteria, "where were you born son"? and "where were your mum and dad born son"? then claim them.

That the son of a 250 game SANFL player can be NGA eligible just because he was born in Egypt when his M&D were on a work assignment for 12 months shows what a farce NGA's are.

Let's be clear about this, NGAs were created to appease the whinging by the big Vic clubs about northern academies. Eddie McGuire & co railroaded the AFL into the farce that is NGAs

NGA's are a rort. Name one NGA draftee that was brought into the underage system by an AFL club and nurtured through that junior pathway. They are all already in the junior pathway before clubs ever know of their existence.

All the clubs do is scour the talent pathways for kids that fit the pathetic eligibility criteria, "where were you born son"? and "where were your mum and dad born son"? then claim them.

That the son of a 250 game SANFL player can be NGA eligible just because he was born in Egypt when his M&D were on a work assignment for 12 months shows what a farce NGA's are.

Let's be clear about this, NGAs were created to appease the whinging by the big Vic clubs about northern academies. Eddie McGuire & co railroaded the AFL into the farce that is NGAs
While I agree there are some players that qualify that probably shouldn't, this misunderstands the system. It's not necessarily about introducing NGA players to footy in a raw sense, it's about the cultural elements of high-performance junior sport accessible to those that aren't necessarily part of the traditional Anglo-Celtic cultures of Australian football.

It's unlikely any of us here are first-generation immigrants but if we were, and we had a talented teenage child that we wanted to work their way through the system, imagine the difficulty of understanding what was going on - driving them to games, avoiding the social pressure of not having anyone from a similar cultural background playing alongside them in games, understanding what's going on etc.

On top of that, it think it's broadly good that there are multicultural players playing for a team that explicitly represents the geographic region that they grew up in, to further that team's aims and strategies in that region, irrespective of the extent that they were already part of the talent development system.

I know a lot of the non-footballing staff at the Dogs regret the fact they didn't get ahead of North and recruit Majak Daw in 2010, who was one of the oldest South Sudanese kids to pick up football. Daw was a proper Western Suburbs kid that could have had a great knock-on effect of getting other kids in the Western Suburbs to support and play for the Dogs. In the end, the only local kid we've ever recruited is Buku Khamis, and although he's done a lot for representing the club, he's only one player, and one player playing games after a few other South Sudanese kids have.

I don't think many people would have an issue, for instance, if a Footscray-born-and-bred Vietnamese kid got draft priority to the Dogs, and represented the club to the Asian community in the Western Suburbs, even if that player was a top talent, gave the Dogs an on-field advantage and he and his parents were well assimilated into Australia's Anglo-Celtic traditions and systems and understood football etc. It's a good thing.

While I agree there are some players that qualify that probably shouldn't, this misunderstands the system. It's not necessarily about introducing NGA players to footy in a raw sense, it's about the cultural elements of high-performance junior sport accessible to those that aren't necessarily part of the traditional Anglo-Celtic cultures of Australian football.

It's unlikely any of us here are first-generation immigrants but if we were, and we had a talented teenage child that we wanted to work their way through the system, imagine the difficulty of understanding what was going on - driving them to games, avoiding the social pressure of not having anyone from a similar cultural background playing alongside them in games, understanding what's going on etc.

On top of that, it think it's broadly good that there are multicultural players playing for a team that explicitly represents the geographic region that they grew up in, to further that team's aims and strategies in that region, irrespective of the extent that they were already part of the talent development system.

I know a lot of the non-footballing staff at the Dogs regret the fact they didn't get ahead of North and recruit Majak Daw in 2010, who was one of the oldest South Sudanese kids to pick up football. Daw was a proper Western Suburbs kid that could have had a great knock-on effect of getting other kids in the Western Suburbs to support and play for the Dogs. In the end, the only local kid we've ever recruited is Buku Khamis, and although he's done a lot for representing the club, he's only one player, and one player playing games after a few other South Sudanese kids have.

I don't think many people would have an issue, for instance, if a Footscray-born-and-bred Vietnamese kid got draft priority to the Dogs, and represented the club to the Asian community in the Western Suburbs, even if that player was a top talent, gave the Dogs an on-field advantage and he and his parents were well assimilated into Australia's Anglo-Celtic traditions and systems and understood football etc. It's a good thing.
There are probably stuff all Vietnamese even eligible anymore.

I'm totally supportive of the idea that these kids haven't seen a Sherrin in their life since they were born and Essendon bought them their first sherrin / jumper / free member kit.
Cody Walker the same.

Yeah sure, his dad was a pick 2 and 200 gamer for Carlton, but if it weren’t for Richmond showing him dusty Martin highlights he wouldn’t even know what football was, let alone be a possible top 3 pick.

In all seriousness it’s a ridiculous system and needs a complete rethink

Cody Walker the same.

Yeah sure, his dad was a pick 2 and 200 gamer for Carlton, but if it weren’t for Richmond showing him dusty Martin highlights he wouldn’t even know what football was, let alone be a possible top 3 pick.

Step 1 is making anyone whose parents played a single game of AFL be ineligible

Cody Walker the same.

I'd take it a step further and say father-son is an archaic system that needs to go too. No other professional sport that takes itself seriously has it. It's arguably led to a point where it is difficult to challenge for a flag without benefiting from it - the vast majority of recent premiers have significantly benefited from it.

I think most people would agree that the world would be a better place if Peter Daicos had to face the fact that his sons were probably not going to play for Collingwood.

Derrick Eggmolesse Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

News AFL to overhaul the draft, discuss changes to Academy and FS bid matching

Remove this Banner Ad

Back