News AFL to overhaul the draft, discuss changes to Academy and FS bid matching

Remove this Banner Ad

I can see one club who has traded to assist these picks this year.
Richmond.
No one else has done anything.
Do it now.
As long as they give us pick after our first rounder as "compensation" for "Jack Graham". We can live with pick 1 & 2 and we won't bother the AFL about it 😁

Think that NGA prospects should be able to me matched post pick 20 - there's not a huge incentive for clubs to invest in NGA academies/prospects
I mean, how much are they actually investing in kids that are in football systems before they're part of any NGA academy? What roles do the NGAs actually fulfil?

In the Northern states they ARE the rep / elite pathways for Australian football.

Really?

Huh, I thought it was to develop local talent and have a pathway for athletes and talented youth that might be drawn to other sports.
It is. Astutely noted.
But, hey, I'm sure your club is enjoying Nick Blakey running around when he would've been lost to the AFL. It's not like his dad didn't play over 350 games and win a a couple of premierships or play state of origin for Victoria. It's not like Nick wouldn't be running around as a Kangaroo right now.
Statistically he wouldn't have been, no.

I mean, how much are they actually investing in kids that are in football systems before they're part of any NGA academy? What roles do the NGAs actually fulfil?

In the Northern states they ARE the rep / elite pathways for Australian football.
No idea at all, do you know investment levels etc?

John Ralph calling out the whinging by clubs affected by the rule changes for this years draft. Brisbane to be most affected but hey, they're picking up a potential top three pick for less than that - again!

Looks like the changes will be in this draft, whinging clubs or not, the AFL is doing what should have been done years ago to stop this farce. Bugger as we have a first round F/S, but we'll cope.

No idea at all, do you know investment levels etc?
The academies start as young, if anything too young, (ie 11 years old), as it's appropriate to start putting kids into things like academies. Any younger it's about participation/enjoyment etc.

You realise one your links put him in pick 9/12/12 because it was a draft phantom predictor, so they automatically attaching Moore to the draft pick Pies were assigned at the time?

In fact, in the very same Knightmare power rankings that you're linking above has Moore as the 4th best player (link to post)

He was never rated outside of the top 5ish by the time the draft came around by anyone.

Maybe 3rd is a bit of a stretch but we do know the Dogs were willing and able to use pick 5 on him, and that his rating improved with the draft combine etc. He was absolutely a top 5 prospect that went pick 9.

Dogs have rorted the system - though ironically our biggest rort, getting a top 5-10 prospect Ayce Cordy with pick 14, was the one father-son that didn't pan out for us, but we still rorted the draft-day perceived value - but at least I am realistic about recognising it for what it is - we've been advantaged. Not sure why you're refusing to admit Pies were effectively able to move up from pick 9 to pick 4-6ish with Moore. It happened.

Last edited:

Now that's a really good discussion to bring some balance to these conversations.

I'd extend it to in season too, there are 10 clubs in Victoria who can play each other without travelling. So if they're playing an interstate club, may be they should travel for at least 10 rounds every season. Some clubs even call it as a luxury/privilege regarding business class perks so we should spread the love and make everyone board a flight for half a season. This is in addition to playing finals interstate.

Now that's a really good discussion to bring some balance to these conversations.

I'd extend it to in season too, there are 10 clubs in Victoria who can play each other without travelling. So if they're playing an interstate club, may be they should travel for at least 10 rounds every season. Some clubs even call it as a luxury/privilege regarding business class perks so we should spread the love and make everyone board a flight for half a season. This is in addition to playing finals interstate.
I don't mind it

how do you balance the lower vic clubs who never get to play at the MCG and never get home ground finals?

Well that's for AFL and lower clubs to sort out locally when you play your fellow Vic club. You have 9 games every season that can be played against a club from the same state. Get the fixture right to play at least 4 or 5 at MCG. It's not rocket science.

If it means Collingwood plays half their games in Marvel then that's a discussion point too. Why should some clubs get carte blanche in playing 12/13/14 games in MCG saying they are MCG tenants? push them out to Marvel and make the fixture more balanced for all clubs in Victoria.

Well that's for AFL and lower clubs to sort out locally when you play your fellow Vic club. You have 9 games every season that can be played against a club from the same state. Get the fixture right to play at least 4 or 5 at MCG. It's not rocket science.
I think the better idea would be to make every team have a minimum number of interstate games through the year.
Also every team plays say 4 or 5 mcg games.
Not a bad idea.

I don't mind it

Well a lot of Victorian clubs would gang up against it to be honest. You play all season to win a premiership and there is a clear headstart to a Victorian club when it comes to grand final. When you start highlighting how unbalanced/inequal this arrangement is, it gets laughed off saying that's the tradition/romance/whatever decorative word you can throw on it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well a lot of Victorian clubs would gang up against it to be honest. You play all season to win a premiership and there is a clear headstart to a Victorian club when it comes to grand final. When you start highlighting how unbalanced/inequal this arrangement is, it gets laughed off saying that's the tradition/romance/whatever decorative word you can throw on it.
I don't like certain big Vic clubs never having to travel.
We effectively play there interstate games for them. Mcg access is a good thing also. Idk about the finals thing but it's not a terrible idea.
Tas coming in will add more travel for everyone but us and the hawks I reckon.
It wouldn't be a bad thing to get a baseline minimum travel number built into the fixture.
Decent idea

No it isnt. Its a mud throwing exercise by a Northern club desperate to main its academy advantages and derail the issue.

All well and good waving your finger at the arrogant Vics who look after themselves with home finals, fixturing in season etc. However no mention of SA or WA clubs who are getting shafted by travelling more, not getting home grand finals AND also not getting priority academy access.

Smoke and mirrors by the Suns here.

If it means Collingwood plays half their games in Marvel then that's a discussion point too. Why should some clubs get carte blanche in playing 12/13/14 games in MCG saying they are MCG tenants? push them out to Marvel and make the fixture more balanced for all clubs in Victoria.
not enough money in it im afraid, its all the AFL cares about. its why we play at kardina park and collingwood doesnt.

Not from a Carlton point of view.
We will be much more effected in 2026 (Cody Walker) by the changing of the system than we will this year, and understand that change needs to happen.
What is unfair is the prospect of changing the system without notice after picks have already been traded.
From what's been on the radio/newspapers the change hasn't come without notice. Anyway, I have a feeling we're going to get either a watered-down version of the changes we need, or a 12 month delay.

Either way, the draft will still suck balls because of the crappy father/son rule.

No idea why it still exists.

No it isnt. Its a mud throwing exercise by a Northern club desperate to main its academy advantages and derail the issue.

All well and good waving your finger at the arrogant Vics who look after themselves with home finals, fixturing in season etc. However no mention of SA or WA clubs who are getting shafted by travelling more, not getting home grand finals AND also not getting priority academy access.

It's not Mark Evans job to come along and push the barrel for SA and WA clubs. Your CEOs need to be doing a better job in it. You have an issue with academy advantage then let's talk about equally bigger issues with Grand Final and interstate travel inequalities. You are just cherry picking what needs to be solved vs where other clubs are turning a blind eye coz its a massive advantage to them in season as well as during finals.

It's not Mark Evans job to come along and push the barrel for SA and WA clubs. Your CEOs need to be doing a better job in it. You have an issue with academy advantage then let's talk about equally bigger issues with Grand Final and interstate travel inequalities. You are just cherry picking what needs to be solved vs where other clubs are turning a blind eye coz its a massive advantage to them in season as well as during finals.

Turn a blind eye?

Well thats total BS. Both WA clubs have been lobbying to the AFL for years about travel and fixturing inequality. Even before the Suns even existed. Fact, And it seems that the AFL is finally be forced to listen because of all the concessions to every other club bar the WA clubs. SA clubs now get an extra home game with gather round.

The Suns using the GF fixture as an excuse to continue rorting the academy system is one eyed as it "turns a blind eye" to the other four interstate clubs who travel further and for longer and get no academy concessesions and very few father sons.

Time for some equalisation for all. Not just expansion teams in TV expansion states who lose money if they dont show some form of success.

Massive news.

So this bloke is a player manager

He is a moron, what he is suggesting is ridiculous

If I was his client and this is how he thinks I would seriously look for different representation

So if A father son or academy is considered pick 1, it is up to the club to trade for pick one, is his suggestion, has he actually thought about this? What if the team with pick one, doesn't want to trade pick one, what happens then?

This is a great example as to why the afl industry is screwed

Amatuer hour from top to bottom, subsidised by neglected rusted on fans, who are being extorted weekly by incompetent suits

Embarrassing

It wouldn’t surprise me if we end up having all interstate games in Victoria being played at the MCG.
Tassie and the 4 Northern clubs having an academies and Adelaide and Perth having “Gather rounds”
All Victorian clubs travel interstate equal amount of times.

Anything more then this will be seen as too extreme.

So this bloke is a player manager

He is a moron, what he is suggesting is ridiculous

If I was his client and this is how he thinks I would seriously look for different representation

So if A father son or academy is considered pick 1, it is up to the club to trade for pick one, is his suggestion, has he actually thought about this? What if the team with pick one, doesn't want to trade pick one, what happens then?

This is a great example as to why the afl industry is screwed

Amatuer hour from top to bottom, subsidised by neglected rusted on fans, who are being extorted weekly by incompetent suits

Embarrassing

What’s the point in revamping the points system if the top 10 becomes a no go zone

It's one of the stupidest suggestions ever, and will never happen.

Finals ticketing revenue goes straight to the AFL. Crowds at the MCG consistently get more people than the capacity of other stadiums, never mind the fact that the idea of MCC/AFL memberships funding a lot of stadium operations is done so on the basis that a lot of people want to go to finals as neutrals.

It's a very dumb idea that Evans is attempting to shift the Overton window of his club so Academy access/points system still remains strong for him - they'd obviously never go for this but it will make it seem like allowing GC to junk together five picks in the 40's for two top 20 players more reasonable.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

News AFL to overhaul the draft, discuss changes to Academy and FS bid matching

Remove this Banner Ad

Back