News AFL to overhaul the draft, discuss changes to Academy and FS bid matching

Remove this Banner Ad

It's one of the stupidest suggestions ever, and will never happen.

Finals ticketing revenue goes straight to the AFL. Crowds at the MCG consistently get more people than the capacity of other stadiums, never mind the fact that the idea of MCC/AFL memberships funding a lot of stadium operations is done so on the basis that a lot of people want to go to finals as neutrals.

It's a very dumb idea that Evans is attempting to shift the Overton window of his club so Academy access/points system still remains strong for him - they'd obviously never go for this but it will make it seem like allowing GC to junk together five picks in the 40's for two top 20 players more reasonable.

Its almost tongue in cheek stupid.

Suns "If people want to reduce our academy access then we should play finals interstate."

Or we can make the bidding for academy and father sons fair across the entire competition and also look at new ways to equalise fixturing for all and reduce unfair travel burdens.

With the overall outcome being an equalised and fairer competition.

Turn a blind eye?

Well thats total BS. Both WA clubs have been lobbying to the AFL for years about travel and fixturing inequality. Even before the Suns even existed. Fact, And it seems that the AFL is finally be forced to listen because of all the concessions to every other club bar the WA clubs. SA clubs now get an extra home game with gather round.

The Suns using the GF fixture as an excuse to continue rorting the academy system is one eyed as it "turns a blind eye" to the other four interstate clubs who travel further and for longer and get no academy concessesions and very few father sons.

Time for some equalisation for all. Not just expansion teams in TV expansion states who lose money if they dont show some form of success.

Turn a blind eye to Grand final ? Turn a blind eye to inherent inequalities in fixture? Turn a blind eye to our club getting 1 game at MCG all season for multiple years and have a running narrative of "oh Lions won't win in MCG". Tell you what, all the clubs can EAD for all I care, all the victorian morons can stick their head up their asses and keep going with their kumbaya. If you like it go join them by all means. Don't give a flying **** about what you think.

Yes we need to rort and we will continue to rort if on the other end AFL will continue to rort the grand final in favor of some incumbent Victorian clubs. Can't fix that can you? now shut up and sit down.

Turn a blind eye to Grand final ? Turn a blind eye to inherent inequalities in fixture? Turn a blind eye to our club getting 1 game at MCG all season for multiple years and have a running narrative of "oh Lions won't win in MCG". Tell you what, all the clubs can EAD for all I care, all the victorian morons can stick their head up their asses and keep going with their kumbaya. If you like it go join them by all means. Don't give a flying **** about what you think.

Yes we need to rort and we will continue to rort if on the other end AFL will continue to rort the grand final in favor of some incumbent Victorian clubs. Can't fix that can you? now shut up and sit down.
in 2009 we only played 1 game in the H/A season at MCG, the last round. then we had to play all finals at the MCG even though we were top of the ladder. Brisbane got a home final that year.....

Now that's a really good discussion to bring some balance to these conversations.

I'd extend it to in season too, there are 10 clubs in Victoria who can play each other without travelling. So if they're playing an interstate club, may be they should travel for at least 10 rounds every season. Some clubs even call it as a luxury/privilege regarding business class perks so we should spread the love and make everyone board a flight for half a season. This is in addition to playing finals interstate.

North play a single game at MCG in 2024 Mark.

Do we get an Academy?

North play a single game at MCG in 2024 Mark.

Do we get an Academy?

You should get 5 out of 9 games in MCG pushing existing tenants out. If you don't have a backbone to fight back, don't look at others to come and fight on your behalf.

I wish you yell and scream in your loud voice, the usual EAD charade for inequalities in your own backyard rather than channeling all your rage on "academy ! academy ! baaaaad academy !!!!". Sick of it.

You are from the same club who actively pushed Ben McKay out and stuck your hand out for priority pick. Actively gutted your mid-tier players and dropped off to alarming performance levels. Now wailing about interstate clubs having some measure to develop/recruit players from their own backyard seems to be grating your nerves bigger than your own failings.

You should get 5 out of 9 games in MCG pushing existing tenants out. If you don't have a backbone to fight back, don't look at others to come and fight on your behalf.

I wish you yell and scream in your loud voice, the usual EAD charade for inequalities in your own backyard rather than channeling all your rage on "academy ! academy ! baaaaad academy !!!!". Sick of it.

You are from the same club who actively pushed Ben McKay out and stuck your hand out for priority pick. Actively gutted your mid-tier players and dropped off to alarming performance levels. Now wailing about interstate clubs having some measure to develop/recruit players from their own backyard seems to be grating your nerves bigger than your own failings.
Put timeslots aside suggest which of the games that have been played at the MCG this season should be played at Docklands among North, Dogs, Saints home games. Name the 12-15 MCG fixtures that should be moved.

Getting teams more MCG experience broadly is not wrong but this is just ridiculous.

to be fair the small vic clubs have been complaining for a long time about the unfair fixtures, if the scumsuckers at AFL HQ didn't have so many marquee games and demented deals with the grounds themselves we could perhaps spit out a semi fair fixture once in a while.

Put timeslots aside suggest which of the games that have been played at the MCG this season should be played at Docklands among North, Dogs, Saints home games. Name the 12-15 MCG fixtures that should be moved.

Getting teams more MCG experience broadly is not wrong but this is just ridiculous.

I don't have to poke around the schedule at all. List the clubs who are deemed "MCG tenants" right now. Shift half their games out of MCG to Marvel and give other clubs equal opportunity to play in MCG.

10 Victorian clubs - assuming each play the other victorian club once there'll be 9 local games and 81 games in total per season. Let's round it to 80 - Put 40 in MCG, other 40 in Marvel and rotate every year.

I don't have to poke around the schedule at all. List the clubs who are deemed "MCG tenants" right now. Shift half their games out of MCG to Marvel and give other clubs equal opportunity to play in MCG.

10 Victorian clubs - assuming each play the other victorian club once there'll be 9 local games and 81 games in total per season. Let's round it to 80 - Put 40 in MCG, other 40 in Marvel and rotate every year.
what about kardinia park? maybe send collingwood there for 20 years in a row to make up for lost time.

This sounds like someone who hasn’t often experienced the difference between games at the G and games at Marvel

Attendance will plummet

This sounds like someone who hasn’t often experienced the difference between games at the G and games at Marvel

Attendance will plummet

Oh suddenly attendance only matters which means some club get to keep their advantage is it?

To the point where these privileged clubs play 7-8 times in the same venue every year prior to the main event - the grand final, winning that should be the only reason any club is playing out there - against an opponent who has barely stepped in that particular ground all season? Doesn't that sound like a mega BS to you?

I wish someone posts stats of rookie players who debuted this season for say Collingwood and their number of games played at MCG vs some interstate club's player who has been playing for like 7-8 years and number of times they've stepped foot on the same ground. It'll be an interesting measure to compare.

Attendance will plummet
all AFL desicions are made to maximise profits, how is it going so far? do you think collingwood should play at kardinia park more than once ever 40 years or is it to much of a loss of money?

Oh suddenly attendance only matters which means some club get to keep their advantage is it?

To the point where these privileged clubs play 7-8 times in the same venue every year prior to the main event - the grand final, winning that should be the only reason any club is playing out there - against an opponent who has barely stepped in that particular ground all season? Doesn't that sound like a mega BS to you?

I wish someone posts stats of rookie players who debuted this season for say Collingwood and their number of games played at MCG vs some interstate club's player who has been playing for like 7-8 years and number of times they've stepped foot on the same ground. It'll be an interesting measure to compare.
Pendles is close to 400 matches played, 247 of them played at MCG 50 at Etihad and about 10 at most other grounds except kardinia which he has never stepped foot on for a real AFL match. I wonder if that has helped him stay injury free?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fixing the draft is the simplest thing to do, just get on with it, no need to let another farce of a draft run again this year, just fix it.

All the solutions have been put here on BF and most are very simple. Steepen the points curve, no discount, extinguish points values at say 35, make it maximum of two picks to match a bid. Do those simple things and the whole draft becomes much fairer.

I can't believe the AFL is still fluffing around with it, smiley face Kane needs to step up and just do it.

What an all time melt.

I responded to a specific quote from Mark Evans justifying some of Gold Coasts concessions on the basis of them only playing 1 game a year at the MCG and Victorian clubs playing a lot.

He's tone deaf in not acknowledging or realizing that it's not all Victorian clubs, so his entire Victorian clubs get XXX, everyone else is at a disadvantage is crap.

We don't make the draw. It would be like me bitching saying you need to grow a backbone and make sure that every Cairns or Darwin game involves Brisbane to limit your travel....

I have no idea what this paragraph has to do with anything.

However, give me a spell on the bolded.

Most of the changes are to the bidding process, not to your access to players.

The Ashcroft boys are a product of AFL Victoria, not AFL QLD, they are the product of Victorian suburban football clubs, their pathways and development programs. The system you are complaining that is so "unfair". You are actively pitching your young academy prospects to private schools in Melbourne so as to push them into the Coates Talent League and APS school system. Don't bitch about Victorian football when you are the ones trying to mooch off of it.

You are only chucking a hissy fit because it's unlikely you will be able to secure Ashcroft and Marshall for 6 x 4th rounders this year. It's very likely you have to trade something of significant value to make up the points and the list spot pressure.

This is exactly how the system should function. A finals team should not be able to secure a top 3 or 4 pick without paying through their absolute nose for it.

Last edited:

Harry Sheezel - 36 Games Total, MCG games 2, Interstate games - 17

Darcy Wilmot - 42 Games Total, MCG games 6, Interstate games - 20

Cry more.

You aren't disadvantaged any more than a lot of other clubs.

Attendance in Melbourne matters as it props up the whole competition. You muck around with people’s experience of going to the game too much and you risk their interest in the sport altogether

Set up your training ground to be the same size as the G (the Tigers are putting together the funds to do that even though we are so advantaged)

Harry Sheezel - 36 Games Total, MCG games 2, Interstate games - 17

Darcy Wilmot - 42 Games Total, MCG games 6, Interstate games - 20

Cry more.

You aren't disadvantaged any more than a lot of other clubs.

Sheezel snort.. Considering where your club is sitting in the ladder for last few years, no wonder there is lack of air time at MCG to do a real comparison. You might as well be hosted interstate with those numbers. May be that's why all your wailing is about interstate clubs and you just runaway with tail between the legs as soon as I start comparing Victorian club advantages.

What an all time melt.

I responded to a specific quote from Mark Evans justifying some of Gold Coasts concessions on the basis of them only playing 1 game a year at the MCG and Victorian clubs playing a lot.

He's tone deaf in not acknowledging or realizing that it's not all Victorian clubs, so his entire Victorian clubs get XXX, everyone else is at a disadvantage is crap.

We don't make the draw. It would be like me bitching saying you need to grow a backbone and make sure that every Cairns or Darwin game involves Brisbane to limit your travel....

I have no idea what this paragraph has to do with anything.

However, give me a spell on the bolded.

Most of the changes are to the bidding process, not to your access to players.

The Ashcroft boys are a product of AFL Victoria, not AFL QLD, they are the product of Victorian suburban football clubs, their pathways and development programs. The system you are complaining that is so "unfair". You are actively pitching your young academy prospects to private schools in Melbourne so as to push them into the Coates Talent League and APS school system. Don't bitch about Victorian football when you are the ones trying to mooch off of it.

You are only chucking a hissy fit because it's unlikely you will be able to secure Ashcroft and Marshall for 6 x 4th rounders this year. It's very likely you have to trade something of significant value to make up the points and the list spot pressure.

This is exactly how the system should function. A finals team should not be able to secure a top 3 or 4 pick without paying through their absolute nose for it.

I don't have to chuck a hissy fit on anything as my take on father/son, academy, priority picks in the first round is very well documented even in this thread prior. Not going to re-hash for your mouth breathing views on as if academy is the greatest bane on the game and everything else is squeaky clean perfect like Grand finals, travel arrangements and Victorian clubs constantly gutting GWS, GC lists for their own well being.

Talk to me when you've moved Grand final out of MCG or talk to me when you've given consistent opportunity to all interstate clubs to play in the permanent Grand final venue. Until then your single minded hypocritical view on academy father-son is just hot air. Keep blowing it.

If the AFL believe they have given other teams an unfair advantage through the academy and FS points system - then its appropriate to change it.

Given they wish to make the changes immediately which will impact list managers who planned for the current draft structure, they should also retrospectively annul the contracts of any players acquired via this method in the last 5-8 years - theses players would become unrestricted free agents with a minimum contract value equal to their current contract and ensure no club retains this unfair access advantage.

#equality

If the AFL believe they have given other teams an unfair advantage through the academy and FS points system - then its appropriate to change it.

Given they wish to make the changes immediately which will impact list managers who planned for the current draft structure, they should also retrospectively annul the contracts of any players acquired via this method in the last 5-8 years - theses players would become unrestricted free agents with a minimum contract value equal to their current contract and ensure no club retains this unfair access advantage.

#equality
just figure out which club has has the most advantage of discounted players, change the point system for that club and all other clubs gets the discount until they meet that number. #EqualityDoneEasy

Last edited:

The Ashcroft boys grew up & played junior footy on the GC. My wife taught them both at All Saints in Merrimac (Where Mumma Ashcroft also worked as a PE Teacher).

They only moved to Vic when Marcus was fired from the Suns. None of them wanted to move. It wasn’t the plan.

The family are moving back to the GC shortly with Levi joining the Lions, and Mumma Ashcroft (& the boys younger sister) returning to All Saints School.

The Ashcroft boys grew up & played junior footy on the GC. My wife taught them both at All Saints in Merrimac (Where Mumma Ashcroft also worked as a PE Teacher).

They only moved to Vic when Marcus was fired from the Suns. None of them wanted to move. It wasn’t the plan.

The family are moving back to the GC shortly with Levi joining the Lions, and Mumma Ashcroft (& the boys younger sister) returning to All Saints School.

Maybe I should be more specific.

Will played his key development years in AFL VIC's development pathways - u/15, u/16, u17, u/18.

Levi has played pretty much most of his football from u/13's and up in Melbourne's pathways.

Remove this Banner Ad

News AFL to overhaul the draft, discuss changes to Academy and FS bid matching

Remove this Banner Ad

Back