News AFL to overhaul the draft, discuss changes to Academy and FS bid matching

Remove this Banner Ad

“The afl wants one system for FS, NGA and Academy”

This is pretty stupid, as it will dilute the talent pool exactly when Tassie come in…..

Imagine if the entire top 20 picks are either NGA or TAS!

Remove the entire entitlement for top 18 picks, make the first round sacrosanct.
This would just lead to clubs hiding players.

Using my club as an example. Maybe Nick Daicos "injures" his back early in his draft year and doesn't play another game for the year and then doesn't do medical test that other clubs have access to.

That's the easiest fix as all the argument is about first round picks.

If you remove father/son, priority, NGA, and academy from first round - it'll become simple to manage.

Or you limit access in any year to one.

So any club can only access one father son or one academy kid or one free agent.

Put a limit over a 5 year rolling period?

Teams in the bottom four can access two or three of any type per year.

Then clubs need to choose between bidding on a father son and missing out on an academy kid or free agent.

It stops so called "fortunate clubs" from double and triple dipping. Spreads the talent around all clubs instead of the big successful clubs getting a father son AND an academy kid AND free agents.

but wouldn't it be much less of a headache just to abolish it all? I'm failing to understand why any of this is preferable to a simple draft with no concessions.

If the go home factor is so big in the AFL when it comes to trading then wouldn't all these northern acadamy players be likely to ask to be traded home if there were not drafted by their acadamies club? that seems like a big enough benefit for the northern leagues dunno why they need a different set of acadamy rules.

Because players are attracted to playing in Melbourne not necessarily where they grew up.

This would just lead to clubs hiding players.

Using my club as an example. Maybe Nick Daicos "injures" his back early in his draft year and doesn't play another game for the year and then doesn't do medical test that other clubs have access to.
I wouldn't be surprised if clubs already do hide players. For example all you really have to do with a F/S or Academy player is hide them enough to get them from 10 -> 30.

Lyon flying the "woe is us" flag for St.Kilda

So many cumbersome solutions being suggested when three simple things fix it all

Change the points curve, pick 36 is the last pick worth points
No discount as being able to match is a big bonus
Cannot use more than two picks to match with any shortfall coming off your first rounder next year and you cannot trade it

Simple and would have fixed the JUH, Darcy, Daicos, Ashcroft rorts
The last step is not needed.

Also finals teams should have limit on number of matches in the 1st round like academies already have. I think top 4 should have no match in the 1st round.

Also the same rules for NGA and F/S.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mac Andrew would've been great next to May and Lever. Damn the afl is so far from an even playing field it ain't funny.

How?

Melbourne are an established club, has benefited from father son access decades before expansion teams coykd and if they ever make a GF again automatically get it at their home ground. Plus dont travel as much as interstate teams.

All advantages interstate clubs dont enjoy..

How exactly is it a handout?

We don’t currently have an NGA zone.

Is that fair do you think?
Really?

City of Wyndham, City of Melbourne not enough for you?
"NGA-eligible players must live in the following council areas:
  • City of Melbourne (Kensington, Flemington, North Melbourne, Parkville, Carlton, West Melbourne, Docklands)
  • City of Wyndham (Wyndham Vale, Williams Landing, Werribee South, Werribee, Truganina, Tarneit, Quandong, Point Cook, Mount Cottrell, Manor Lakes, Mambourin, Little River, Laverton North, Laverton, Hoppers Crossing, Eynesbury, Cocoroc, Seabrook, Sanctuary Lakes)"

Really?

• City of Melbourne (Kensington, Flemington, North Melbourne, Parkville, Carlton, West Melbourne, Docklands)
  • City of Wyndham (Wyndham Vale, Williams Landing, Werribee South, Werribee, Truganina, Tarneit, Quandong, Point Cook, Mount Cottrell, Manor Lakes, Mambourin, Little River, Laverton North, Laverton, Hoppers Crossing, Eynesbury, Cocoroc, Seabrook, Sanctuary Lakes)"

Have you seen the extent of the zone?

It was a bottom corner of the Bulldogs zone which encapsulates a lot empty paddocks slated for housing developments currently.

It was also awarded a few months ago, so no player currently 15+ qualifies.

Our other zone is the Melbourne CBD of Docklands, Parkville and West Melbourne. Football heartland for young kids is it?

I'll happily swap all of the NT with Collingwood for their NGA Oakleigh Chargers zone.

You not only did you have that Oakleigh zone, but you had a big chunk of the NT zone yourself. Tell me, how fruitful has that been for Collingwood?

Doesn't fit your narrative though does it?

It was a bottom corner of the Bulldogs zone which encapsulates a lot empty paddocks slated for housing developments currently.

Our other zone is the Melbourne CBD of Docklands, Parkville and West Melbourne. Football heartland for young kids is it?

I'll happily swap all of the NT with Collingwood for their NGA Oakleigh Chargers zone.

You not only did you have that Oakleigh zone, but you had a big chunk of the NT zone yourself. Tell me, how fruitful has that been for Collingwood?

You can't play the salty card when you say you don't have an NGA zone and then someone immediately points out that you do.

How?

Melbourne are an established club, has benefited from father son access decades before expansion teams coykd and if they ever make a GF again automatically get it at their home ground. Plus dont travel as much as interstate teams.

All advantages interstate clubs dont enjoy..
melbourne has had 1 good father/son in 30 years which is significantly less than the majority of clubs. Regarding Mac Andrew, he was in our academy, but the afl changed the rules after they gifted the dogs Ugle-hagan.

Yes, you don't travel as much but every home game you get you get a massive home ground advantage and the noise of affirmation affecting umpires. Victorian teams don't get that when we have home games against each other. But yes, the travel component is a disadvantage. I acknowledge that.

1/. You said "We don’t currently have an NGA zone." = Wrong
2/. Collingwood had precisly ZERO NGA's drafted from the Tennant Creek and Barkley Zone which while it is big in terms of land area has a small population. TC = 3,080 people and BZ = 7,400 for a land area of ~320,000 square kilometres.

On one hand you complain your zone is farmland with limited population and then point out Collingwood's NT Zone which is even bigger but less populated?

Really?

That map also indicates Nth get all of Tassie. I thought North and Hawks shared it??? Has that been changed?

That map also indicates Nth get all of Tassie. I thought North and Hawks shared it??? Has that been changed?
"The Hawthorn Football Club is very excited to be working in the Gippsland Power Talent Zone(VIC), Eastern Ranges Talent zone (VIC) and the Katherine region. (NT)"

THis is the current info. I'm not sure on the history of Hawthorn's NGA Zones.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back