News AFL to overhaul the draft, discuss changes to Academy and FS bid matching

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit weird to say North don’t have an NGA zone when they got to match Tarryn Thomas as part of their NGA

How far are we going back?

Lets also talk about Shannon Grant, Anthony Rocca, and Darren Gaspar as well.
Just trying to make a point that Sydney doesn't seem that unattractive to footballers, Saints have had nowhere near the caliber of trades to our club compared to them in my lifetime. Should clubs in Moorrabbin also be getting a bit of help since it seems to be such a unattractive place?

Or you limit access in any year to one.

So any club can only access one father son or one academy kid or one free agent.

Put a limit over a 5 year rolling period?

Teams in the bottom four can access two or three of any type per year.

Then clubs need to choose between bidding on a father son and missing out on an academy kid or free agent.

It stops so called "fortunate clubs" from double and triple dipping. Spreads the talent around all clubs instead of the big successful clubs getting a father son AND an academy kid AND free agents.
Bit harsh on twins? Davey twins and Camporeale twins would have to go to different clubs under your proposal.

Because they are father sons. Keep up. Looking forward to seeing the saints huge backflip when Nick Riewoldt's three sons get near the age of father sons.

Nah..I can guarantee the rules will have been changed by then, if just for that reason alone. Just as they were when our one and only Top 10 Academy player happened, which of course we could not then match.

They need to change the name of the Draft. It is not a draft as so much of it is predetermined.

At least the FIXture is more accurate, as it is certainly not a draw.

Is that a problem?
Well the Daveys were very late picks. Why shouldn't Essendon be able to have both when every club has decided they didn't want to bid on them 3 times or so? If you make it that clubs can only take one a year does the other go undrafted?

Nobody in their right mind (apart from Stkilda who seem to using it as a smokescreen to camouflage their real problems) wants to stop father sons. All clubs would like to ensure that the really good ones don't end up being gifted to already good teams. Nick daicos should have cost the pies their first pick both if that year and the next. The teams that allowed him to slip to pick 4 should hang their heads in shame and the system that allowed him to be selected with anything other than first round picks needs to be corrected.

But that doesn't mean that you shouldn't be allowed to take twins as father sons in the same year provided that you have the genuine currency to do it.

Nah..I can guarantee the rules will have been changed by then, if just for that reason alone. Just as they were when our one and only Top 10 Academy player happened, which of course we could not then match.

They need to change the name of the Draft. It is not a draft as so much of it is predetermined.

At least the FIXture is more accurate, as it is certainly not a draw.
It does make me laugh the things that people complain about. The fixture is about as fair as it can be with 18 teans and 23 matches. You have to play 5 teams twice and they try and balance the toughness of those games by where you finished the previous year.

It's a significantly fairer fixture than the NFL where you play the three other teams in your conference twice and then randomly 11 of the remaining 28 teams. Makes for some bizarre outcomes with some conference winners (who automatically make the play offs) winning less than 50% of their games.

People complain about the grand final at the MCG and yet the FA cup final has been played at Wembley London for well over a hundred years. The NFL superbowl is pretty much auctioned off each year and has no correlation to who is playing.

Can't stop people complaining though.

It does make me laugh the things that people complain about. The fixture is about as fair as it can be with 18 teans and 23 matches. You have to play 5 teams twice and they try and balance the toughness of those games by where you finished the previous year.

It's a significantly fairer fixture than the NFL where you play the three other teams in your conference twice and then randomly 11 of the remaining 28 teams. Makes for some bizarre outcomes with some conference winners (who automatically make the play offs) winning less than 50% of their games.

People complain about the grand final at the MCG and yet the FA cup final has been played at Wembley London for well over a hundred years. The NFL superbowl is pretty much auctioned off each year and has no correlation to who is playing.

Can't stop people complaining though.
That’s actually unfair.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

melbourne has had 1 good father/son in 30 years which is significantly less than the majority of clubs. Regarding Mac Andrew, he was in our academy, but the afl changed the rules after they gifted the dogs Ugle-hagan.

Yes, you don't travel as much but every home game you get you get a massive home ground advantage and the noise of affirmation affecting umpires. Victorian teams don't get that when we have home games against each other. But yes, the travel component is a disadvantage. I acknowledge that.

So an automatic Melbourne GF against an interstate club is no advantage?

Melbourne isn't at an advantage attracting trades and free agents?

You are basically trying to say Melbourne has absolutely no advantages over expansion clubs even with their long established history and location.

The first 30 years of a new club father sons don't exist.

Noise of affirmation exists at the MCG against interstate opponents big time. What a strange thought that it doesn't.

Last edited:
Bit harsh on twins? Davey twins and Camporeale twins would have to go to different clubs under your proposal.

If that is the only downside it isnt much to fix or address.

If they want both the club needs to get the picks for the second not as good twin.

If a club finishes outside the top 8 those could be allowed two players with priority access per draft.

Bottom four teams no limits.

The aim is top 4 teams get less priority access than bottom four teams trying to rebuild. Equalisation.

Why do people keep wishing for these complicated solutions?! Have you seen the AFL right now? They are totally incompetent.

Just fix the points table and remove the discount. Then 95% of the fairness issues would go away instantly. Done. Surely they can manage that.

So an automatic Melbourne GF against an interstate club is no advantage?

Melbourne isn't at an advantage attracting trades and free agents?

You are basically trying to say Melbourne has absolutely no advantages over expansion clubs even with their long established history and location.

The first 30 years of a new club father sons don't exist.

Noise of affirmation exists at the MCG against interstate opponents big time. What a strange thought that it doesn't.
When is the last time West Coast made a grand final and was disadvantaged by playing at the mcg? The grand final has neutral supporters anyway so it's less of a disadvantage.
The dees won our 2021 granny during the covid year and we didn't get to play once at the mcg. So I don't think it's too bad.

Yes I do think Melbourne based clubs are an advantage when attracting trades. I acknowledge that.

Regarding the noise of affirmation, listen to what I said. When the Demons play a home game there is no noise affirmation against ess, rich, hawks, geel, coll, Carlton, dogs, North or stk. When you have a home game, you get the noise of affirmation against the whole comp except 1 team. A massive advantage!

When is the last time West Coast made a grand final and was disadvantaged by playing at the mcg? The grand final has neutral supporters anyway so it's less of a disadvantage.

Most times when a Vic team plays against a non vic side, the vic side would have double the supporters.

AFL and MCG Members are mostly made up of Victorians, and if your team is in the grand final you would put in the effort to attend.

Collingwood vs Brisbane, there was at least 50k supporting Collingwood.

Most times when a Vic team plays against a non vic side, the vic side would have double the supporters.

AFL and MCG Members are mostly made up of Victorians, and if your team is in the grand final you would put in the effort to attend.

Collingwood vs Brisbane, there was at least 50k supporting Collingwood.
I don't agree. Yes, they may be victorian but they sure as hell didn't go for the team that's playing. I went to Syd v Geelong GF and Sydney had just as much crowd support as Geelong. (they just had nothing to cheer about). but why are we talking about 1 game a year that most of us never get to play in. The home games that interstate clubs get is 100 times the advantage that Vic clubs get, which is a 0 advantage against the other 9 Vic teams.

I don't agree. Yes, they may be victorian but they sure as hell didn't go for the team that's playing. I went to Syd v Geelong and Sydney had just as much crowd support as Geelong. (they just had nothing to cheer about). but why are we talking about 1 game a year that most of us never get to play in. The home games that interstate clubs get is 100 times the advantage that Vic clubs get, which is a 0 advantage against the other 9 Vic teams.

Any game with 85% Victorian, will automatically have more supporters at the game.

Add to the fact, they don't need to travel, they play the ground a lot more than the other side and it adds up to a big advantage for the team.

The dees won our 2021 granny during the covid year and we didn't get to play once at the mcg. So I don't think it's too bad.

Yes I do think Melbourne based clubs are an advantage when attracting trades. I acknowledge that.

Regarding the noise of affirmation, listen to what I said. When the Demons play a home game there is no noise affirmation against ess, rich, hawks, geel, coll, Carlton, dogs, North or stk. When you have a home game, you get the noise of affirmation against the whole comp except 1 team. A massive advantage!

Danny old boy, I went to the grand final last year and it was like a Collingwood home game. They used their own matchday MCs as well from what I could tell.

No it isnt. The Vic media and coaches cried and whinged so much the umpires are very wary of the so called noise of affirmation that for some reason doesnt exist when interstate clubs play big Melbourne teams at the MCG.

At Optus so many frees that are there arent paid as the umpires are being coached to second guess themselves and go out there with a preconcieved notion the crowd is forcing them into decisions.

But that doesnt work both ways does it?

Every time the Eagles play at the MCG against a Vic team they are at a disadvantage. More so against Collingwood as the umpires do get affected just as much with the noise of affirmation that is very real. You can set you clock that it will happen and Ive witnessed it several times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back