News AFL to overhaul the draft, discuss changes to Academy and FS bid matching

Remove this Banner Ad

From the Age:

The AFL has been concerned with the decline in the number of players of Indigenous heritage being drafted in recent seasons, with clubs saying the rules and the AFL’s development programs were not giving them the incentive to invest in regions and develop players who might end up at other clubs.

The AFL is also keen to have development programs in place for young people with parents born in countries other than Australia who may not otherwise play Australian rules.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tis pretty funny/sad the type of clubs that got shafted in these three years...

The timing is shit but I don't mind the change. They really really need to fix part of the points system this year though or the draft becomes even more of a mess this year

Last edited:
I brought it up earlier but I think we have to get to a stage with two separate drafting systems / nights. A pool of purely academy players you bid on with points at an auction night and an open draft pool.

It would be complicated but if they put the time to get it right it would be a lot of fun.

So are begging bowl antics to extract three consecutive years of extra draft picks out of HQ

You got no comment on the rorts that are NGA's? That's the system you tried to leverage to get exclusive access to Ryley Sanders

Where was the 3rd year? And that first year was awesome, having to trade for Darcy Tucker is the sort of move that will have the Sydneys and Carltons trembling in their boots.

Remove this Banner Ad

News AFL to overhaul the draft, discuss changes to Academy and FS bid matching

Remove this Banner Ad

Back