Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

We are a horrible transition football team…. Hobbs, Merrett, Parish, Shiel and McGrath do not cover ground well enough.
We have addressed this recently in Durham, Martin, Duursma… and now maybe Magginess, who is another addition to the 6min 2km club you need to be able to defend transition.

If we are bringing him in to support on a wing, pinch hit/tag in the midfield and help us replace the 15kms a game Kelly/Hepp used to cover for us. I’m all for it.

Still need to prioritise genuine leg speed at some point, but hopefully that can be done in the draft
He can run all day and negate but that is it. Otherwise he is average to below average in most areas. As far as a transition player goes he is not even close in anything he has done at AFL level. His numbers are better in the VFL so his AFL numbers may be down due to his run with roles but I do not see him as a great transition option personally. He is an average kick as well. I agree we need some endurance runners. Also I would not be just pinning the poor defensive transition on the midfield. I would be saying midfield 40% to blame. No speed at all in the forwards 60% to blame.
On top of everything we would have to be dipping into future picks to get him.

the idea behind the interest might mean he can release Durham next season. Duz did a bit of run with stuff and maybe the club thinks next season he’s ready to be a go to mid. Maginness to become a depth mid/tagger. We also need a few blokes that can play mid forward so the club might think he can be apart of that rotation because Hobbs hasn’t come on at all.
I honestly don't see it. Duz doesn't have "it" as a go to mid. He's just good at everything without any standout attributes apart from his tank.

Personally I do not think he does actually do what Setterfield does.
Okay he is a big body who can negate but that is about it unless you want to say they are both average to below average kicks. Setterfield beats him in every other area. Clearances. Tackles. Pressure acts. He is even slightly better as far as kicking efficiency goes.
Yeah I didn't want to go all stats nerd (and also hard to get a proper read because he was sub a bit) but this is what I was suggesting re not actually being a contested mid. He has ranked below average for ground ball gets/contested possession/kicking effeciency for last three years
I don't think the role he is playing would impact those.
I also don't see how he would he a better option than hobbs in forward line. Ideally hobbs would be replaced with an actual small forward in forward line but to my eyes he does better at winning loose balls/laying inside 50 tackles etc than Maginnes has.

VETERAN SAINT TO DONS AS STRINGER COVER?

Free agent St Kilda forward Tim Membrey is being touted as the ‘perfect replacement’ for Jake Stringer at Essendon if he departs this off-season.

It’s been reported the Bombers aren’t interested in offering Stringer — who is contracted at the Hangar next season — a multi-year deal, leaving the 30-year-old to explore rival opportunities ahead of October’s player movement period.

In anticipation of the premiership forward ultimately leaving Essendon, Membrey’s camp is said to have been in talks with the Bombers.

“His management has spoken with Essendon,” Herald Sun journalist Scott Gullan revealed on Midweek Tackle.

“The Jake Stringer situation, we’re all monitoring that. They see if Stringer’s out — like we think potentially (he might be) — Tim Membrey comes in, perfect.

“Nate Caddy, the kid — he’s going to be a gun — needs help, still, (and) Peter Wright’s form was an issue.

“(Membrey is an) experienced guy, he’s 30, kicked 30 goals this year, we know he can play that role, and he’s a ripping fella.

“So, they (Membrey’s management) are really pushing — ‘if you lose Stringer, we have the perfect replacement’.”

Clark added: “I get the feeling that Essendon is happy to do a trade for Jake Stringer, but the interest (from rival clubs) just isn’t there it seemsCraig McRae ... said Collingwood won’t be taking Stringer, they did have a level of interest but won’t be going there anymore — so it will be interesting to see how the future of Tim Membrey plays out.”

Membrey played 19 games for the Saints this year after managing just seven last season.

If Stringer did go I have no Issue with Membrey for 2 years. He is a different type of forward who is a good mark. Would be cheap and fill a gap.

VETERAN SAINT TO DONS AS STRINGER COVER?

Free agent St Kilda forward Tim Membrey is being touted as the ‘perfect replacement’ for Jake Stringer at Essendon if he departs this off-season.

It’s been reported the Bombers aren’t interested in offering Stringer — who is contracted at the Hangar next season — a multi-year deal, leaving the 30-year-old to explore rival opportunities ahead of October’s player movement period.

In anticipation of the premiership forward ultimately leaving Essendon, Membrey’s camp is said to have been in talks with the Bombers.

“His management has spoken with Essendon,” Herald Sun journalist Scott Gullan revealed on Midweek Tackle.

“The Jake Stringer situation, we’re all monitoring that. They see if Stringer’s out — like we think potentially (he might be) — Tim Membrey comes in, perfect.

“Nate Caddy, the kid — he’s going to be a gun — needs help, still, (and) Peter Wright’s form was an issue.

“(Membrey is an) experienced guy, he’s 30, kicked 30 goals this year, we know he can play that role, and he’s a ripping fella.

“So, they (Membrey’s management) are really pushing — ‘if you lose Stringer, we have the perfect replacement’.”

Clark added: “I get the feeling that Essendon is happy to do a trade for Jake Stringer, but the interest (from rival clubs) just isn’t there it seems — Craig McRae ... said Collingwood won’t be taking Stringer, they did have a level of interest but won’t be going there anymore — so it will be interesting to see how the future of Tim Membrey plays out.”

Membrey played 19 games for the Saints this year after managing just seven last season.

If Stringer did go I have no Issue with Membrey for 2 years. He is a different type of forward who is a good mark. Would be cheap and fill a gap.
I would like Jake to stay but fair call re Membrey, if his body isn't cooked he definitely would give us a better marking option than most of our forwards.
Went to the saints v Carlton game in last round and he was still getting up ground and taking crucial grabs to help the saints with their transition game.

Why? We have an opportunity to balance our forward line and we immediately go get someone who causes the same problems.

If it were Jack Darling for two years (who is an elite pressure player still) I'd have zero issues.

One thing I would say is would the likes of Josh Rotham or Tim Membrey be more desirable than Sam Weideman ?

Sam day is a UFA and was a top 3 pick. We will be linked to him next

Why? We have an opportunity to balance our forward line and we immediately go get someone who causes the same problems.

If it were Jack Darling for two years (who is an elite pressure player still) I'd have zero issues.
Part of our forward issue is having no one to take a mark. Swapping out Stringer for Membrey does fix an issue. The speed issue , well that is a small forward issue. Membrey has rated above average to elite for marks for the last 7 seasons. Kicking efficiency is generally around 70%. He kicks his 30 to 35 goals nearly every year and I would sooner have him for 2 years as a stop gap than keeping Wiedman.

No issues with Finn or Membrey.

Finn is an elite runner and we have only Duursma and Martin for that. Finn would likely play on the wing for us.

Membrey would be able to teach Caddy very well and contribute for a few years.

Rotham I can't say I'm that excited about but we do have a gap of defensive depth

Part of our forward issue is having no one to take a mark. Swapping out Stringer for Membrey does fix an issue. The speed issue , well that is a small forward issue. Membrey has rated above average to elite for marks for the last 7 seasons. Kicking efficiency is generally around 70%. He kicks his 30 to 35 goals nearly every year and I would sooner have him for 2 years as a stop gap than keeping Wiedman.
I disagree. We're too tall up front, and adding another slow medium forward does nothing to fix that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Easily, yes. As players.

For what we're building or trying to build, no. They help keep us mid table.
I still think your obsession with only bringing in teenagers is OTT. Nothing wrong with Rotham, he has 4 or 5 years left in him of playing decent football.

We're already cutting a lot of experience. Bringing in players in their mid 20's isn't worth losing your mind over. If he's here for two years so be it.

I still think your obsession with only bringing in teenagers is OTT. Nothing wrong with Rotham, he has 4 or 5 years left in him of playing decent football.

We're already cutting a lot of experience. Bringing in players in their mid 20's isn't worth losing your mind over. If he's here for two years so be it.

I'm ok with Rotham/Prior/Finn, Membrey isn't it for us though.

Easily, yes. As players.

For what we're building or trying to build, no. They help keep us mid table.
And sides that spent years at the bottom have all won automatically won premierships.
Stringer to Demons for pick 38, pay 100% of his 2025 salary
Laverde to Saints for pick 43, Pay 100% of his 2025 salary
Shiel to Dogs for pick 44, Pay 100% of his 2025 salary

This is how I'd try take a mini chainsaw to the list. (If allowed)
Would love it to happen as well but it is just theory. Not a bad one but it would not happen. Even if we could pull it off we would still need some cheap experience for a couple of seasons.

Last edited:
I think the big thing with these experienced players is do they expect to be best 22.

If the answer is yes it’s disapointing

If the answer is no and they are top 30 spending a fair bit of time in the VFL and not getting in the way of guys who need to develop then it’s a good thing
I think the general line is we are not giving you a spot. If you earn it and take it then all well and good. Guys like Membrey will know full well that the chance of being in the VFL is very real. Do not want to sound like I am pumping him up. I just think he is viable experience if Stringer went and if we moved Weideman on. He may well be more VFL.

If we left trade period adding Rotham, Prior and <insert small pressure forward here> whilst shedding Shiel, Stringer, Weideman and Laverde with a few picks worth points for this year added to it I'd come away pretty happy. Keep Davey and Setterfield around one more year and take 6 draftees (Lindsay, Kako and a few other things).
I can't see Essendon trading for anyone. Trade out what we need to, get some picks in and hit a good draft.
Free agents or DFA should be our only considerations before the draft. Stringer out, Laverde out, Shiel out and if someone wants to offer something reasonable for Cox then I would ship him off too.

On CPH2065 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Eh. Cheap trades for fringe players I don't really have an issue with.

And sides that spent years at the bottom have all won premierships.
Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it can't. I think you can make the claim this Lions side on Saturday is one who have done it. They bled talent (not by design), they had the go home 5, they spent years down the bottom, they picked up top talent, drafted really well, they then traded fantastically well and here they are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back