Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

So you think Caddy is a dud and we should not have traded up ?
And you want us to be like North for 8 or so years ?
How about just keep moving on 3 to 5 every year. Take the high draft picks , we look like getting two top 20 this year. Do it again next year and then the next year. So far no side has had success in under 10 years buy simply taking a chainsaw to the list.
One question I wonder is do the Hawks trigger band 1 for McKay if we're out of the race. Then there mightn't be the need to trade up, or our hand might've been stronger to trade for Duursma. We don't get the early wins, sure, but we play Weideman as the depth he was supposed to be (which wasn't required until Rd 24 and even then it's debatable) and pick a little earlier this draft. Is the list in much worse shape?

One question I wonder is do the Hawks trigger band 1 for McKay if we're out of the race. Then there mightn't be the need to trade up, or our hand might've been stronger to trade for Duursma. We don't get the early wins, sure, but we play Weideman as the depth he was supposed to be (which wasn't required until Rd 24 and even then it's debatable) and pick a little earlier this draft. Is the list in much worse shape?
You can come up with a few plausible theories that could well be a bit better than what we got but personally I was happy with most of what they did last year.

Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it can't. I think you can make the claim this Lions side on Saturday is one who have done it. They bled talent (not by design), they had the go home 5, they spent years down the bottom, they picked up top talent, drafted really well, they then traded fantastically well and here they are.
Did not say it had not happened. Melbourne spent 10 years at 11th or worse but in that they also finally got the right football department to do something in the middle of it. As you say Brisbane was a different story. They had issues holding players for a while. Richmond also had a lot of years out of finals but where more 9th to 14th and not much bottom 4.
Part of my reasoning is I think there is a bit in the list that we can strategically plan around if we take the top picks and shuffle 3 to 5 players out over the next 2 seasons. We are obviously trapped with the Parish / McGrath / Wright contracts now but down the track there can be movement on them. Heppell / Kelly / Hind so far this year. Next year Laverde / Stringer / Weideman if they are not already gone. By time we get to the end of 2026 at least 10 of these guys are done.
I think they can build something a lot quicker if they take a more strategic approach and not burn the lot and spend 10 years in the bottom 6 and then another 5 years getting to a finals winning side which is what will happen.

He can run all day and negate but that is it. Otherwise he is average to below average in most areas. As far as a transition player goes he is not even close in anything he has done at AFL level. His numbers are better in the VFL so his AFL numbers may be down due to his run with roles but I do not see him as a great transition option personally. He is an average kick as well. I agree we need some endurance runners. Also I would not be just pinning the poor defensive transition on the midfield. I would be saying midfield 40% to blame. No speed at all in the forwards 60% to blame.
On top of everything we would have to be dipping into future picks to get him.
I agree having probably the worst pressure forwardline in the comp doesn’t help. But the running power of our midfield has been 15 years behind where it needs to be. His acquisition helps us address that despite his flaws. Interested but at the right price.

Think it's taking the piss not extending Stringer and Lav by a year if we end up ****ing them off and giving Membrey and Rotham 2 year deals to replace them. Lav has nearly played every game for 3 seasons straight and while he was earmarked to just be depth this year (as he should be), it's not his fault Zach Reid is Mr Glass or that Cox can't nail down a position in the backline.

And people still sook about Saad leaving us, goes ****ing both ways and not only did he come to us in the same situation he gave us a massive upgrade on the pick we used to get him, not his fault we wasted it.

So you think Caddy is a dud and we should not have traded up ?
And you want us to be like North for 8 or so years ?
How about just keep moving on 3 to 5 every year. Take the high draft picks , we look like getting two top 20 this year. Do it again next year and then the next year. So far no side has had success in under 10 years buy simply taking a chainsaw to the list

simply taking a chainsaw to the list
So that's why we have hardly any run & carry. Could be the reason why forwards don't lead. They had their legs chainsawed

Think it's taking the piss not extending Stringer and Lav by a year if we end up ****ing them off and giving Membrey and Rotham 2 year deals to replace them. Lav has nearly played every game for 3 seasons straight and while he was earmarked to just be depth this year (as he should be), it's not his fault Zach Reid is Mr Glass or that Cox can't nail down a position in the backline.

And people still sook about Saad leaving us, goes ****ing both ways and not only did he come to us in the same situation he gave us a massive upgrade on the pick we used to get him, not his fault we wasted it.

How so?

If you can get value from a trade while getting an equivalent replacement player for free isn’t that just smart list management.

Building at the fringes and increasing the overall talent level of the list.

Laverde is by definition a replacement level player. His main value would be cultural and reports indicate that his contribution there is less then ideal.

As for Jake. He’s been challenged to play up to his talent level and the package went missing. Seems more neigitive impact than positive at this point. Seems other clubs know that too.

Personally I do not think he does actually do what Setterfield does.
Okay he is a big body who can negate but that is about it unless you want to say they are both average to below average kicks. Setterfield beats him in every other area. Clearances. Tackles. Pressure acts. He is even slightly better as far as kicking efficiency goes.
I did say has the potential. He's also younger so the upside is there. The bottomline for me is that we need space for Merrett to operate and Setterfield is often injured.

Did not say it had not happened. Melbourne spent 10 years at 11th or worse but in that they also finally got the right football department to do something in the middle of it. As you say Brisbane was a different story. They had issues holding players for a while. Richmond also had a lot of years out of finals but where more 9th to 14th and not much bottom 4.
Part of my reasoning is I think there is a bit in the list that we can strategically plan around if we take the top picks and shuffle 3 to 5 players out over the next 2 seasons. We are obviously trapped with the Parish / McGrath / Wright contracts now but down the track there can be movement on them. Heppell / Kelly / Hind so far this year. Next year Laverde / Stringer / Weideman if they are not already gone. By time we get to the end of 2026 at least 10 of these guys are done.
I think they can build something a lot quicker if they take a more strategic approach and not burn the lot and spend 10 years in the bottom 6 and then another 5 years getting to a finals winning side which is what will happen.
Wright had a bad year after a good start. What makes you think he can not return to his previous form in round 1 2025?

Personally I do not think he does actually do what Setterfield does.
Okay he is a big body who can negate but that is about it unless you want to say they are both average to below average kicks. Setterfield beats him in every other area. Clearances. Tackles. Pressure acts. He is even slightly better as far as kicking efficiency goes.
Setters played 10 games in 2023.
4 games in 2024. When is he going to get his knee right? When is BDB gonna play him?

Not sure of worth or contract status but I think Tom Sparrow is under utilized at the Demons, I think he could be a gun inside mid if given an extended run on ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still think your obsession with only bringing in teenagers is OTT. Nothing wrong with Rotham, he has 4 or 5 years left in him of playing decent football.

We're already cutting a lot of experience. Bringing in players in their mid 20's isn't worth losing your mind over. If he's here for two years so be it.

Finn, Membrey (preferably on one year deals) and Prior would be fine.

Rotham though is genuinely terrible. We'd be better off plucking a 24 year old out of a country league.

Maginness & Prior are still below 25 and can't quite break into sides who played past week 1 of finals.

Membrey gives us a bit of veteran leadership and is still solid as a forward (30 goals this year).

Rotham gives us neither. He's been a fringe player for a side that's finished 17th, 18th & 16th the past three years. There is no reason at all to get him.

Who are you - talking sense on BF?
Very good point - why churn players only to trade in similarly limited players to the Dane deals we’re about?

Setters played 10 games in 2023.
4 games in 2024. When is he going to get his knee right? When is BDB gonna play him?
Not saying I want Setterfield. Simply saying that FM actually does not do what he does when fully fit.

Wright had a bad year after a good start. What makes you think he can not return to his previous form in round 1 2025?
The fact he has had two good seasons out of 8 maybe. He may come good. If he does it is a bonus but right now going into next year he has not played a full year of good footy in the last two years due to injury and form. If it continues he will certainly be a player the club will try and off load cheaply.

I did say has the potential. He's also younger so the upside is there. The bottomline for me is that we need space for Merrett to operate and Setterfield is often injured.
He is not really a blocker though. He is a run with guy who strangles an opposition player out of the game. He has not actually done a lot of blocking for his team mates in the games I have seen him play. You could send Hobbs in to block if you wanted to. You do not need to be a big brute to do that. You could even make it Perkins if need be. The real advantage FM has is his endurance running which we need but more in an outside role.

Essendon supporters = angry we aren’t trading for stars with no picks.

Essendon supporters = don’t want to trade anyone good for more picks.

Essendon supporters = angry we got McKay and Gresham without using picks.

Essendon supporters = leverde and stringer suck they should have huge currency to get us more picks or players.

He is not really a blocker though. He is a run with guy who strangles an opposition player out of the game. He has not actually done a lot of blocking for his team mates in the games I have seen him play. You could send Hobbs in to block if you wanted to. You do not need to be a big brute to do that. You could even make it Perkins if need be. The real advantage FM has is his endurance running which we need but more in an outside role.

Would be interesting in a “negative Striker” role.

Scott has loved a HF tag so if FM could play as that forward tagger/head of the snake defender and then push on ball with the 2nd rotation as a pressure absorber it would be interesting to see how that works out.

Essendon supporters = leverde and stringer suck they should have huge currency to get us more picks or players.

That is our way…

1727330604959.png

Although to be honest, you probably need to put “some” in front of “Essendon supporters” … there are different camps for each example you used.

From some in-depth regression analysis I have boil it down. There are only truely 2 distinct types of Essendon supporters on BF:

1. Those who value Stringer’s 42 goal’s (achieved despite EFC’s dysfunctional f50 issues)

2. Those who don’t (Stringer IS the dysfunction)*

BTW - there is no middle ground, pick a side. Go hard. Respect each others opinions as that’s what BF is all about.

* You are wrong and shouldn’t be participating in a debate with adults… **

** That bit is a joke***

***added in after Kevin from legal had a word

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back