El Hawli
Hayes
Roberts
Baldwin
Reid
Lual
Nguyen
+ new draftees, generally a decent PS option too
I suspect we will try to trade back into the draft at some point if there's a slider we like. Shanahan is probably one we'll trade back in for.

I'm hoping that a bid will come much later than expected now that we don't have a first round pick.

Reality is what reality is. Likely keep two picks in the 40's. We got lemons, make lemonade.

I suppose. Just seems a shame to come away with one 175cm forward pocket from such a deep draft. I rate Kako, just feels a little underwhelming.

And means we really need to get it right with him. No half back flank in the VFL, no wing, no stuffing around.

I suspect we will try to trade back into the draft at some point if there's a slider we like. Shanahan is probably one we'll trade back in for.

I'm hoping that a bid will come much later than expected now that we don't have a first round pick.
Yeah, same. I'm hoping that if it's a really late bid (say doesn't come in the first 15), we trade up for Shanahan using 28 and 31

Like the deal but can’t see why teams won’t bid early now for Kako as they know there’s no way we’re going to pass.
The only reason not to do it too early is you are trying to stay on decent terms with Rosa. A St.Kilda bid is probably as early as it should be to make sure we pay a fair price. But you're right a team could bid at 1 if they wanted to **** us over

Yeah, same. I'm hoping that if it's a really late bid (say doesn't come in the first 15), we trade up for Shanahan using 28 and 31
I think we've successfully avoided a Melbourne, Richmond and St Kilda bid in the top 10. It's very unlikely that we avoid a bid from Richmond and Carlton after that though because they are both in the market for a small forward. GWS are probably our best chance to trade up and their first pick is after them.

Maybe we can trade 28 + 31 for a future to a team who wants to make use of this draft and use the future to trade back in if Shanahan slides long enough.

I think we've successfully avoided a Melbourne, Richmond and St Kilda bid in the top 10. It's very unlikely that we avoid a bid from Richmond and Carlton after that though because they are both in the market for a small forward. GWS are probably our best chance to trade up and their first pick is after them.

Maybe we can trade 28 + 31 for a future to a team who wants to make use of this draft and use the future to trade back in if Shanahan slides long enough.
Yeah, that could work if we try to tack a third onto that deal as that would leave us enough points currently for pick 11 (as it stands we have enough for pick 2)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any smart peeps here able to suggest some plans for all these picks?

I assume we have to trade out of the second round this year to avoid waisting all the 3rd/4ths we have accumulated.

Then try to get back in 🤔
I'd say the most likely scenario is we hold the current until draft night in case of a top 10 bid but then look to use 28/31 in a way to get back into the first round after Kako

The only reason not to do it too early is you are trying to stay on decent terms with Rosa. A St.Kilda bid is probably as early as it should be to make sure we pay a fair price. But you're right a team could bid at 1 if they wanted to **** us over
In the past the bid has tended to blow out if teams don’t think they will get the player (A.Davey blew out from top20 to 40+, Tom Green top 5 to 10ish).
Tigers and Saints won’t want to show they wanted a player more with 6,7,8 so they don’t offend the kids they take. Melbs won’t bid because they dealt with us.
Earliest it will come is Tigers at 10(blow out to 11)…even then they won’t want to offend the kid at 10 so it may not be until the Blues get a chance to pick that there is a bid.

I'd say the most likely scenario is we hold the current until draft night in case of a top 10 bid but then look to use 28/31 in a way to get back into the first round after Kako
Who's trading back though?

Who's trading back though?
It might not be a trading back thing. It might be someone like Geelong trading their F1 for these picks and using that to trade with someone currently in a late teens pick like GWS or Richmond depending on their Baker/Bolton deals

Bit of a worry for this year. So we're going to be drafting Kako and maybe a couple of picks in the 50's/60's, is that correct?

Not a great result really, especially for a team finishing 11th that's supposed to be rebuilding.

Think we have to take it on its merits. Clearly the club believes there’ll be an early Kako bid so they have to act on that.

This way we still get him, and get the extra first rounder next year - first round picks are like gold.

Saints had all but moved him into his locker… until the medical, then ran a mile.

Hard pass, clearly has knee issues.

Also clearly a dickhead, say what you like about Kane Cornes but when he talks Port Adelaide you know it’s good info… has really paid out on his attitude.

Yeh but a late pick is really just a free hit

Preuss then, who id probably prefer. Adds some real aggression to the group

From the mature age draft thread.. sounds like the kinda swing you take when you lack picks. And I’m very much in the camp that we need another intercept player around half back

Traralgon defender Tye Hourigan looms as a bolter for 2024 AFL draft​

He’s 23, already has four best-and-fairests and a premiership medal to his name — and AFL clubs are taking notice. Meet the country footy defender bound for the big smoke.

The whispers out of Gippsland football are becoming more frequent. AFL clubs are watching Traralgon’s Tye Hourigan — and he may be the bolter in this year’s drafts. The 23-year-old is widely regarded as one of the best players in Victorian country football and it’s believed at least one club had recruiters running an eye over him in the Gippy league grand final three weeks ago.

Hourigan, a 193cm defender, played in Traralgon’s premiership win over Leongatha and claimed his fourth senior best and fairest despite missing a few games with injury. For the third consecutive season he was also named at centre half back in the Gippsland team of the year.

Even as a key backman, Hourigan has sometimes been tagged by rival teams. “I hope so. There’s been different inklings here and there,’’ Maroons coach Troy Hamilton responded to speculation that recruiters were on to Hourigan.

“It would be brilliant for him and brilliant for our club.

“I think he could play in the AFL. He’s the best country footballer I’ve seen. I think he could play in the AFL for sure. He’s 6’3 and a bit, he can play on talls or smalls, he’s an elite mark, he runs a 6:20 2km, he’s got pace, he’s an elite user and he reads the footy better than anyone I’ve seen. There is no weakness.’’

Hamilton said Hourigan was “lame’’ with an ankle injury in a match against Morwell this year, prompting the Maroons to play him out of the goalsquare. He kicked six goals.

Former Traralgon coach Jake Best was similarly effusive when asked about Hourigan.

The former Casey VFL player and Vermont premiership forward called him an outstanding player, “in the best three I’ve ever played with’’. “He’s a star mate,’’ Best said. “He’s a tall intercept defender with great skills and he reads the play like someone I’ve never seen.’’

Hourigan has been named in Traralgon’s best players 49 times in his 65 games in the past four seasons.

An official from an opposition Gippsland league club said of Hourigan: “Everything is one-touch clean. He kicks the footy like a mule – hits a bloke on the chest with a 60m drop-punt – and he’ll pick the ball up at pace below his knees, sidestep someone coming the other way and off he goes. “He’s as good a key position player as I’ve seen at our level.’’

Hourigan was runner-up in Gippsland Power’s 2018 best and fairest and trained briefly with Casey Demons before returning to Traralgon.

VFL clubs have sounded him out in the past two years but he’s been content to play for the Maroons as he completes his university studies to be a schoolteacher.

Hourigan is also an accomplished cricketer, captaining a local A grade team

28 and 31

Im, not sure anyone would trade 15 for 28 and 31

Will need to be and F1 and one of those picks or an F2

They'll likely stay the same unless Gold Coast trade back with their 20's picks. 23 and 29 dissolve on the Lombard did. Personally I think Lombard is nearly worth the same as Levi. For some reason the hype hasn't been as much for him, but his body of work in the VFL has been outstanding.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back