Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Over the next 3 drafts there will be 120 top 40 selections, tell me why trying to bring 20-25 of them is the wrong play?

If we went down this path we could draft with a genuine plan, a specific model in mind, we will generate 8 of these selections just by finishing low on the ladder. (we traded our 2024 3rd last year)

I think we should do what we can to generate another 10-15 top 40 selections over the next 3 drafts and really commit to a new build.

My idea would bring low finishes and sub 6 win seasons but it doesn't frighten me at all, I'm terrified of 10-12 win seasons.

Let Scott genuinely build what he wants?

Because the odds that pick 40 is a good player are pretty low. Not much different between that and an undrafted player.

You really want to be in the top 20-30

Also building by attrition tends to waste talent. That and trading for draft pics is often bad value.

Edit: I like this idea in theory. Get in bulk talent in the 2nd round and play the odds that 1-2 or more become good plus a few more serviceable as you recycle through the list. Just don’t think it works as well in practice.

Last edited:
Because the odds that pick 40 is a good player are pretty low. Not much different between that and an undrafted player.

You really want to be in the top 20-30

Also building by attrition tends to waste talent. That and trading for draft pics is often bad value.

The way development of under 18's football is going, the depth is increasing. It'll start to stretch. Last year there have already been 10 players taken after 50 that look like really good prospects and that draft was still slightly effected by missed development of the covid years.

The way development of under 18's football is going, the depth is increasing. It'll start to stretch. Last year there have already been 10 players taken after 50 that look like really good prospects and that draft was still slightly effected by missed development of the covid years.

If development at junior level is that much better then aren’t you more likely to find quality players undrafted?

I think changed academy rules which will give every team an academy will further increase the talent pool but also reduce the reliance on the draft

If I stack rank the out of contract players (from Bruno) from not offering a contract (1) to most likely to offer a contract (12) I get something like:
1. Hepp - retired
2. Kelly, Jake - no explanation required
3. Goldstein, Todd – were have better longer term options
4. Baldwin, Kaine – injured, unproven at AFL, slightly under height for KP
5. Hind, Nick – ok but wrong side of 30
6. Weiderman, Sam – could be retained as back up KP as stays fit
7. Wanganeen, Tex - potential could still find a role if body holds up / develops
8. Davey, Jayden – see Wang
9. Guelfi, Matt – probably not going to make a huge difference either way
10. Stringer, Jake – good for 40+ goals if we improve fwd delivery
11. Setterfield, Will – great back up despite injuries
12. Jones, Harrison – potential plus shown some

Assuming our 3rd pick is into the 40’s after Kako compo, can’t see how cutting beyond 6 (incl. Hepp) gives us any list room we can use (incl. holding one of those 6 over for pre season supp selection).

You get to 7. Wang and 8. Davey and surely they are better speculative players than some round 5 draftee.

It’s an interesting call… players from 50 in 2023 draft are below - I’m surprised how many got games and showed something in year one:
  • H Garcia
  • (our) Archie
  • Dear
  • Humphries
  • Schoenmaker

The more I think about it, the more I think that north might be open to a trade back down the order. Do you think they would consider our first and second for number 2. Could we then still get kako?

What trades could Essendon make to get up to the top of this draft.

My preference would be to draft Finn o Sullivan.

Not having a go Milanista28. I'm dog tired and comprehension isn't so great, you actually seem to be along the same line of thinking as me: I hope we can use a number of decent enough picks.

We're lucky, it seems, they changed the rules back this year for Kako. But all this jumping up and down about trying to manipulate some freebie I don't get. Sure, get ahead of a bid. But if we can use just 1 pick to match then we haven't lost out IMO. We've just got priority access to a talent and took them about where they were rated. It's a bit Dodo to constantly try to construct anything else.
All good, I actually agree with you, I mean if we lose a couple of good picks in matching so be it, shouldn't let it dictate how we approach the draft.

The more I think about it, the more I think that north might be open to a trade back down the order. Do you think they would consider our first and second for number 2. Could we then still get kako?

No way. We had to trade our 1st and 2nd last year to literally move up one spot (11 to 10)

My bad. I did mean after 40 as referenced in the OP. I looked from Kane McAullife on. So chuck in him, Joel Frejiah and Harvey Johnston as great prospects.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If development at junior level is that much better then aren’t you more likely to find quality players undrafted?

I think changed academy rules which will give every team an academy will further increase the talent pool but also reduce the reliance on the draft

The quality in mature age prospects in the afl is as good as it's ever been currently so I think that rings true.

I hate academies. Ruin the concept of equalization through the draft.

I don't think it's worth trading up in this draft. Reportedly has very good depth.
Might even look to trade F1 to get a pick before ours so we select two players + Kako. Perhaps Richmond is keen.

With Petracca reportedly wanting out to another Victorian club (probably a big Victorian club), I'm hoping someone drills it into Essendon that we should not be in the market to chase him. We don't need Petracca as we're not contending in the next 2 years. Let Collingwood or Carlton chase him.

The only time I'll begrudgingly accept it is if Parish and Stringer want to go to Melbourne and no draft picks are involved. Even that, I'd prefer Melbourne's draft pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back