Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like the only stumbling block from getting petracca to Carlton is McKay himself.

It makes absolute sense why he would want to get to Carlton. It also makes sense why Carlton can afford to let go of McKay as they already have a dominant KPF and Dekoning being a real forward threat.

It also makes sense why Carlton would deny this as a possibility.. they have a finals campaign to focus on and can't afford this type of distraction for McKay.

Don't be surprised if when Carlton fall out of fianls, they actually try to get McKay on board to move to melb. They can afford to lose 1 kpf and also a fringe midfielder like Cerra.

I was talking about Petracca so I’ll reply. It’s a trade and free agency forum. Players you dont agree with will be discussed whether you like it or not
It was a dumb idea and people are rightly calling it out as such.

We’re like a car up on bricks with no wheels and people think blowing the budget to put a turbo in it will make it drive

We’re like a car up on bricks with no wheels and people think blowing the budget to put a turbo in it will make it drive

If we are a car on bricks and no wheels (I agree btw), instead of going for Petracca, we need to trade some of our current senior players, to grab some wheels that might fit in a few years.

Unless the player is a young gun like Harley Reid, we shouldn't be trading in big names. Only recruiting through the draft and trading out for draft picks.

Also, the Essendon brand is in such a bad place at the moment. We haven't had a marquee player at the level of Dusty, Buddy, Diacos, Petracca, Harley Reid, Bont, Cripps, Curnow, Betts, Charlie Cameron, Toby Greene etc in so long.

A player that you can use to market AFL to non-AFL watchers. Ask soccer and rugby watchers what AFL players they know. Almost guaranteed they cannot name an Essendon player.

It's no wonder why we're so far behind the other big 4 in membership. We suck on the field and off the field. Not an appealing club.

Furthermore, it’s worth remembering we’ve only got a couple of years before Tassie arrives on the scene and taint a bunch drafts.

If anything we probably should be aiming to bottom out these next few years to maximise the impact of these next couple of drafts before they get watered down. I doubt we actually will because that’s the sort of bold strategy we seem allergic to and the nuffies would be screaming for Scott’s head on a platter.

In hindsight, being best mates with Ben Simmons through childhood has to raise some sort of flag.

The red flags here are everywhere

Signs a seven-year deal and two years in wants to leave. Apparently only wants to go to a “big club” with “big crowds” for “Brand Petracca”?

Why did you sign for Melbourne for seven ****ing years then?

Coming off a career threatening injury? 29yo next year? Melbourne would want a kings ransom?

You couldn’t say no to this quickly enough.

I think most likely there are no serious deals available to get it done and Melbourne are left to pick up the pieces

I think our Trade strategy should be to put our salary space on the table as see if that brings about a bargain mature in (Oliver, McCrae, Daniels, Huston) or if paying someone's salary (Parish, Redman, Langford, 2MP) gets a good looking pick.

I stress bargain as I think we should be primarily focused on the draft. However, that doesn't mean we can't use our current advantage (salary cap space) to land a favourable deal.

Personally I think Huston would be most impactful senior player to bring in for both short-term on field impact, and long-term influence on how to play aggressive footy without loosing defensive positioning (which seems to be one of our consistent issues).

Yeah a lot will think its a dumb idea and discuss it. Telling people to stfu on a forum because you dont agree with it is something different.

Tex, Baldwin, Hunter, Hind, Hep (r), Weideman, Kelly - Delist

Shiel, Jake, Parish - Trade

10 out, 10 in. Turn Shiel, Jake and Parish into 4 selections, pretend our draft hand is 8, kako, 25, 35, 40, 50 - Then have 4 rookie/SSP spots open, have 6 blokes train for a spot over PS.

Go backwards to move forwards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worth looking at Riley Bonner, as a user off half back? Would be cheap, but maybe a couple of years too old??
Go watch the game where we beat them earlier in the year. He will get 3 Brownlow votes for Essendon. Turned the ball over about 7 times in the last. I wouldn’t go near him. Last year I would have when he got cut but seen a lot of him this season.

Without cross checking, I wonder if the posters considering Petracca trades are the same ones that blame Dodoro for all the clubs ills?

A Petracca trade would be the most on brand dodoro trade.

10 out, 10 in. Turn Shiel, Jake and Parish into 4 selections, pretend our draft hand is 8, kako, 25, 35, 40, 50 - Then have 4 rookie/SSP spots open, have 6 blokes train for a spot over PS.

As long as we keep giving Parish games unconditionally he'll never leave.

Gollant and Borlase seem close to being delisted by Adelaide. Can’t say I’ve watched many Adelaide games but both reasonably young key position type players. Can anyone comment on whether they’d be worth picking up cheap/for nothing?

Without cross checking, I wonder if the posters considering Petracca trades are the same ones that blame Dodoro for all the clubs ills?

A Petracca trade would be the most on brand dodoro trade.
There are definitely a few in there

Can’t have picks like 25/30 and Kako as he will absorb those points .

Need to get future picks if doing this and bringing in undrafted folk

Can’t have picks like 25/30 and Kako as he will absorb those points .

Need to get future picks if doing this and bringing in undrafted folk
I'd probably rather a future pick for Parish and then trade back in after a bid, but if we can't I don't care if 25 gets absorbed and we get 2 picks in the 40s back, my end result is the same, 10 out, 10 in. Change the dynamic of the group as much as possible.

Gollant and Borlase seem close to being delisted by Adelaide. Can’t say I’ve watched many Adelaide games but both reasonably young key position type players. Can anyone comment on whether they’d be worth picking up cheap/for nothing?
Gollant yes. Gun winger with good marking ability in his draft year but being forced as a KPP at adelaide. Runs all day

Furthermore, it’s worth remembering we’ve only got a couple of years before Tassie arrives on the scene and taint a bunch drafts.

If anything we probably should be aiming to bottom out these next few years to maximise the impact of these next couple of drafts before they get watered down. I doubt we actually will because that’s the sort of bold strategy we seem allergic to and the nuffies would be screaming for Scott’s head on a platter.

Agree but good luck selling that strategy to the board/members/sponsors/commercial partners/coteries/marketing and membership departments. Even players like McKay and Duursma.

I think Caro was talking sense when she said not everyone at this club pulls in the same direction.

That being said with some good drafting and astute FA pick ups things can turn around quickly.

Would be happy to see Shiel traded, Goldstein retire and Weideman gone as well and we can roll with that.

Jones, Setterfield and Kelly get deals (Jones 2 years and part of the future. Setterfield and Kelly as depth.

Davey gets moved to the rookie list.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back