Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

From some in-depth regression analysis I have boil it down. There are only truely 2 distinct types of Essendon supporters on BF:

1. Those who value Stringer’s 42 goal’s (achieved despite EFC’s dysfunctional f50 issues)

2. Those who don’t (Stringer IS the dysfunction)*

BTW - there is no middle ground, pick a side. Go hard. Respect each others opinions as that’s what BF is all about.

* You are wrong and shouldn’t be participating in a debate with adults… **

** That bit is a joke***

***added in after Kevin from legal had a word

This place is still 10 times better then Bomberblitz Supporters actually bully their fellow supporters on there

Made me question my loyalty to the club as it happened to myself

Last edited:
From some in-depth regression analysis I have boil it down. There are only truely 2 distinct types of Essendon supporters on BF:

1. Those who value Stringer’s 42 goal’s (achieved despite EFC’s dysfunctional f50 issues)

2. Those who don’t (Stringer IS the dysfunction)*

BTW - there is no middle ground, pick a side. Go hard. Respect each others opinions as that’s what BF is all about.

* You are wrong and shouldn’t be participating in a debate with adults… **

** That bit is a joke***

***added in after Kevin from legal had a word
While I agree with most of what you’re saying, I’m keen to get an opinion on whether parish is elite or complete spud. Choose a side.

While I agree with most of what you’re saying, I’m keen to get an opinion on whether parish is elite or complete spud. Choose a side.
Ok, ok, that is a fair point.

Revision -
There are 2 decisions creating 4 distinct camps…
1. Don’t rate both
2. Rate both
3. Rate Parish but not Stringer
4. Rate Stringer but not Parrish

Pick a … You know the rest

Love how Geelong don't muck around, season ends and they delist 9, including premiership players. They know who has a future and who doesn't, they strive for their vision at all times. I don't get that vibe from us, we seem to overthink everything.
It seems like we are doing that with the decisions on Lav and Stringer tbh.

So you think Caddy is a dud and we should not have traded up ?
And you want us to be like North for 8 or so years ?
How about just keep moving on 3 to 5 every year. Take the high draft picks , we look like getting two top 20 this year. Do it again next year and then the next year. So far no side has had success in under 10 years buy simply taking a chainsaw to the list.

This is heavily melodramatic. You know how you don’t rebuild? Exactly how we’ve been doing it for a decade - half arsed.
The players you build a list around are top 3-5 in the draft, and after that most drafts are hit and miss. Would you rather tsatas, or sheezel? One is going to be multiple AA and is elite already, the other can barely hit the ball with his foot.
We have never actually, properly bottomed out, and as such we continue to accrue middling talent, that takes you all the way to - the middle. In essence, stuffing around only dilutes our picks, and makes it hard to select someone elite.

I’d take north’s list over ours any day of the week. All we are currently doing is deluding ourselves, and north is going to eventually reach a critical mass of talent and shoot past us. Yeah, they probably pruned too hard, but Brad didn’t leave them much choice. He basically ran the place into the ground. Also, north are probably the poorest club in the AFL, so that had a baring. It was as much their incompetence off-field than on that killed them.

This is heavily melodramatic. You know how you don’t rebuild? Exactly how we’ve been doing it for a decade - half arsed.
The players you build a list around are top 3-5 in the draft, and after that most drafts are hit and miss. Would you rather tsatas, or sheezel? One is going to be multiple AA and is elite already, the other can barely hit the ball with his foot.
We have never actually, properly bottomed out, and as such we continue to accrue middling talent, that takes you all the way to - the middle. In essence, stuffing around only dilutes our picks, and makes it hard to select someone elite.

I’d take north’s list over ours any day of the week. All we are currently doing is deluding ourselves, and north is going to eventually reach a critical mass of talent and shoot past us. Yeah, they probably pruned too hard, but Brad didn’t leave them much choice. He basically ran the place into the ground. Also, north are probably the poorest club in the AFL, so that had a baring. It was as much their incompetence off-field than on that killed them.
Everyone has an opinion which is fine but if you look at all the clubs who have gone the cut and burn it has taken them 8 or so years to move up to bottom end of finals and another 3 to 5 years to be a genuine top 4 side. Yes our last 15 years has been half arsed but the simple fact is those who have been doing it for the last 15 years are gone and Brad is not totally in control of it either. There is no guarantee they can do any better but we now have Vozzo / McPherson / Rosa / Scott and a couple of others running the show. It is not the same crew that has been doing it and Scott is not in the same situation as he was at North.
You want to gut the list then it will take 10 or more years from now and there will be the Tasmania intro in that time frame.
The real problem is the 2020 draft. The year we did have our 3 top 10 picks ended up being an average draft in a Covid era. We got nothing to build on. We can still build by taking picks inside the top 30. Not all the elite talent has been top 5. Yes the Hawks built their flags on very early picks but that was 20 years ago and the draft and how it is scouted has change hugely since then. Richmond got Cotch at two and Dusty at three but others like Jack came at 13.
We have to find a better way to do it. If we slash and burn now it is almost certain we will be well over 10,000 days before we win a final.

Last edited:
Everyone has an opinion which is fine but if you look at all the clubs who have gone the cut and burn it has taken them 8 or so years to move up to bottom end of finals and another 3 to 5 years to be a genuine top 4 side. Yes our last 15 years has been half arsed but the simple fact is those who have been doing it for the last 15 years are gone and Brad is not totally in control of it either. There is no guarantee they can do any better but we now have Vozzo / McPherson / Rosa / Scott and a couple of others running the show. It is not the same crew that has been doing it and Scott is not in the same situation as he was at North.
You want to gut the list then it will take 10 or more years from now and there will be the Tasmania intro in that time frame.
The real problem is the 2020 draft. The year we did have our 3 top 10 picks ended up being an average draft in a Covid era. We got nothing to build on. We can still build by taking picks inside the top 30. Not all the elite talent has been top 5. Yes the Hawks built their flags on very early picks but that was 20 years ago and the draft and how it is scouted has change hugely since then. Richmond got Cotch at two and Dusty at three but others like Jack came at 13.
We have to find a better way to do it. If we slash and burn now it is almost certain we will be well over 10,000 days before we win a final.

Those teams took so long because they draft poorly for so long, not because the process takes that long. You can do it correctly from the get go and just prioritize competitiveness. Nail it and the process will be expeditated. The 'better way' is the even less successful way. We talk about Richmond, Melbourne, Brisbanes builds taking so long but don't talk about us, Saints, Fremantle, Crows, Port, North (under Brad) builds taking infinitely longer because we all refuse to bottom out.

Would be interesting in a “negative Striker” role.

Scott has loved a HF tag so if FM could play as that forward tagger/head of the snake defender and then push on ball with the 2nd rotation as a pressure absorber it would be interesting to see how that works out.

The thing that unlocks the Essendon midfield is probably two Setterfield/Maginness sized players that rotate in that defensive midfield pivot role and let everyone else hunt and attack. In an ideal world you would want your best attacking midfielders to defend just as hard the other way but that’s just not the case anywhere around the competition.

The player that enable Rozee/Butters/JHF to avalanche forward is Drew and likewise Rowbottom does the same for Heeney/Warner/Gulden.

We have clearly identified Maginness as a player with strengths that we need and limitations that I don’t really care about in terms of what his actual role would be.

And another 10,000 days will destroy the club.

I am a glass half full. I believe we made great strides esp in the midfield. If you take away the second half fadeout there is talent to build on. The Bulldogs game should be our blueprint.

Our small forwards need a big preseason. Hopefully the Davey's build some strength for next year, Bobby hill like. I still remember Long, people were bagging him in the crowd early in his career as he was weak at the contest. Then bang, came of age 1993 prelim breakout game. Indigenous boys can just explode in a short time.

Hayes, Tsatas hopefully come in.

I am still bullish on Perkins, Jones and if we can get Ridley & Reid right it will be game changing.

An injury free Langford is a must too.

A little bit of speed in the forward line would be good.

Would be interesting in a “negative Striker” role.

Scott has loved a HF tag so if FM could play as that forward tagger/head of the snake defender and then push on ball with the 2nd rotation as a pressure absorber it would be interesting to see how that works out.

If the sales pitch is "bigger bodied Will Snelling" I can maybe get behind this recruiting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get the feeling north want to trade down, do you think we could trade both picks for 2 and still find enough points from other trades for kako?

What trades would north consider for that pick?

Those teams took so long because they draft poorly for so long, not because the process takes that long. You can do it correctly from the get go and just prioritize competitiveness. Nail it and the process will be expeditated. The 'better way' is the even less successful way. We talk about Richmond, Melbourne, Brisbanes builds taking so long but don't talk about us, Saints, Fremantle, Crows, Port, North (under Brad) builds taking infinitely longer because we all refuse to bottom out.
Brisbane bottomed out and also nailed a lot of their picks. Andrews went at 61 and Payne at 50 something, Coleman pick 37. They were able to complement with Rayner at pick 1, who is probably only really flourishing this year (geez he reminds me of Stringer sometimes), McCluggage who you could argue should have been pick 1, and a bunch of other later round 1 picks drafted or traded in; Hipwood, Starcevich, Lohmann, Bailey, Cameron (7 in the rookie draft) Daniher, Neale, Dunkley.

I think part of the theory I subscribe to is that high end young talent also attracts high end established talent.

I get the feeling north want to trade down, do you think we could trade both picks for 2 and still find enough points from other trades for kako?

What trades would north consider for that pick?
I get the impression this is not the draft to trade up in, especially for us. We've got a lot of holes and it's a quality draft. Isn't the thinking that we'll fill a couple of our needs with high end players without much trouble this year?

I understand your idea though; if we can land Kako and pick 2, all the better. Seems too difficult to do though.

I get the impression this is not the draft to trade up in, especially for us. We've got a lot of holes and it's a quality draft. Isn't the thinking that we'll fill a couple of our needs with high end players without much trouble this year?

I understand your idea though; if we can land Kako and pick 2, all the better. Seems too difficult to do though.
So you’re saying we should use the third/fourth rounders we get for leverde and stringer in the draft.

I’d a perfect world id love to get another pick inside 20 or an elite top 3.

Not sure how the new points work but leverde + stringer comp = kako and 2 picks before it would be great.

Do not agree 100% even the sides that do nail the drafts take a period of time (5 to 10 years). Yes sides drafted poorly but Melbourne for example still took 9 years to win a flag from when Roos / Goodwin / Mahoney / Taylor took over. These guys took over a side that had basically tanked for picks and ****ed that up. Even then you have to get the build right.

I am not saying do not go to the draft and try and get top end picks but I am saying if we just cut everyone now we will be in a world of hurt for another 10 years and most likely go through another 2 or 3 coaches.
It is not like you can not get quality players from picks 5 to 15. What I am saying is we have to find our way to build. I think you can still build something. The bottom out method has just as much danger as building from the middle.

Why? We have an opportunity to balance our forward line and we immediately go get someone who causes the same problems.

If it were Jack Darling for two years (who is an elite pressure player still) I'd have zero issues.
Essendon F.C

Doing dumb shit since 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back